Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: MS Windows 8 Consumer Beta  (Read 5750 times)

Description:

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show only replies by runequester
Re: MS Windows 8 Consumer Beta
« Reply #59 from previous page: March 07, 2012, 01:50:09 AM »
Quote from: Duce;682742
Uhh, Win 7 has been out for well over 2 years.  RTM was in July, 2009 - retail in October, 2009.

well, then you are well overdue to cough up another 100 bucks.

Offline LoadWB

• Show only replies by LoadWB
« Reply #60 on: March 07, 2012, 02:34:04 AM »
Quote from: runequester;682751
well, then you are well overdue to cough up another 100 bucks.

What?  Did the Apple mother ship release Bengal Tiger, already?

Offline stefcep2

• Show only replies by stefcep2
« Reply #61 on: March 07, 2012, 09:39:45 AM »
Quote from: LoadWB;682753
What?  Did the Apple mother ship release Bengal Tiger, already?

The man makes sense to me.

Win 7 should have been Vista Service Pack 3.   But Vista became a dirty word, so they said:" I know what, lets make them pay for something they should have got when Vista first came out, and call it something else".

And now MS wants to start the ball rolling again, this time wanting to make touch screen hardware as essential as a mouse.  

How many OS's will they be supporting with updates/service packs/ security concurrently?

Offline koaftder

• Show only replies by koaftder
    • http://koft.net
« Reply #62 on: March 07, 2012, 01:56:05 PM »
I don't get the whining about Win8. They replaced the start button with a start screen and added a new application layer for metro stuff. I've been using the developer preview for a few months now, it's the same Windows we've been using forever with some minor tweaks to things like explorer and task manager. Big deal.

I like the start screen, it's easier to find stuff there than the horrid start menu, and easier to configure. I always launched applications from the run box or pinned commonly used stuff on the bar.

The metro apps are kind of pointless on the desktop, I simply don't use them. It doesn't bother me, I'm not so anal as to complain about something simply for the sake that it exists. They would be useful on a tablet and it's good to be able to have access to them on the desktop. Who knows, when I get an x86 Win8 tablet, I may find some apps useful enough to want them on the desktop as well.

It will be nice to have Win8 on an x86 tablet, everything one could want on a tablet that can also pull double duty as a full blooded PC when docked at the office or at home. Such a setup makes the iPad and Android tablets look like children's toys. I've had an iPad 2 for several months now, I've found its locked down nature and lack of features frustrating to say the least.

Microsoft finally seems to be on the right track again.

Offline LoadWB

« Reply #63 on: March 07, 2012, 03:15:13 PM »
Quote from: stefcep2;682774
Win 7 should have been Vista Service Pack 3.

Trolling, but I'll take a teensy weensy bite.  I've seen this statement made more than a few times, and it's utter rubbish.  The kernel enhancements alone made in 7 are far more than just a service pack.  I made a lengthy post on the matter somewhere and I can't be arsed to find it.  Suffice to say: no, Windows 7 is not worthy of a simple SP moniker for Vista.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 04:36:46 PM by LoadWB »

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #64 on: March 07, 2012, 05:29:27 PM »
Quote from: koaftder;682791
I don't get the whining about Win8. They replaced the start button with a start screen and added a new application layer for metro stuff. I've been using the developer preview for a few months now, it's the same Windows we've been using forever with some minor tweaks to things like explorer and task manager. Big deal.

I like the start screen, it's easier to find stuff there than the horrid start menu, and easier to configure. I always launched applications from the run box or pinned commonly used stuff on the bar.
Well, I can't say you're "wrong" for liking the Start screen (or rather, I can and would go on at length about it, but I don't think either of us would convince the other on that front,) but I will say this: I don't object to its existence as much as I object to the idea that I should have to use it. They say that Metro is "optional," but as I understand it there's no way to turn off the Metro Start and get the old Start menu back, and that's a deal-killer for me. I want my options.

(Hell, the inability to get back the classic, proper hierarchical-folders Start menu is one of the reasons I haven't even moved to 7 yet.)
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline LoadWB

« Reply #65 on: March 07, 2012, 05:37:01 PM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;682814
Well, I can't say you're "wrong" for liking the Start screen (or rather, I can and would go on at length about it, but I don't think either of us would convince the other on that front,) but I will say this: I don't object to its existence as much as I object to the idea that I should have to use it. They say that Metro is "optional," but as I understand it there's no way to turn off the Metro Start and get the old Start menu back, and that's a deal-killer for me. I want my options.

(Hell, the inability to get back the classic, proper hierarchical-folders Start menu is one of the reasons I haven't even moved to 7 yet.)

I'll second the forced-usage angle.  I've seen elsewhere that the RPEnable registry trick was removed from the consumer preview so it could be troubleshot better.  The conjecture is that most people would have just turned it off right away, which in and of itself might say something.

Anyway, you might want to check out Classic Shell

Offline commodorejohn

« Reply #66 on: March 07, 2012, 05:47:37 PM »
Yeah, I've seen Classic Shell, and I'm sure I'll be taking advantage of that if I ever do move to 7. For now I'm sticking with XP while I can get hardware to run it, and looking at alternatives.
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline koaftder

• Show only replies by koaftder
    • http://koft.net
« Reply #67 on: March 07, 2012, 07:44:29 PM »
One of the great things about new versions of Windows is that you get to watch people blow their gaskets over the new changes, then 5 years later you get to watch them blow up again while vigorously defending the very same version they previously lambasted.

Offline commodorejohn

« Reply #68 on: March 07, 2012, 08:56:00 PM »
Quote from: koaftder;682826
One of the great things about new versions of Windows is that you get to watch people blow their gaskets over the new changes, then 5 years later you get to watch them blow up again while vigorously defending the very same version they previously lambasted.
Maybe so, but I've been a fan of the (Classic-tweaked) XP interface since I first started using XP, and I remain so today, eight years later. Good design is good design (or at least decent design,) and developers today could stand to re-learn the value of leaving well enough alone.

Offline stefcep2

• Show only replies by stefcep2
« Reply #69 on: March 08, 2012, 04:01:54 AM »
Quote from: LoadWB;682798
Trolling, but I'll take a teensy weensy bite.  I've seen this statement made more than a few times, and it's utter rubbish.  The kernel enhancements alone made in 7 are far more than just a service pack.  I made a lengthy post on the matter somewhere and I can't be arsed to find it.  Suffice to say: no, Windows 7 is not worthy of a simple SP moniker for Vista.

Depends on how you look at it:  If you think that the changes to the kernel in Win 7 ( I take your word for it that they exist) are so significant and could only have been implemented at the time when Win 7 was released, well and good.  But most people see the XP-->Vista "upgrade" as a broken failure.

My  view is that Win 7 is what Vista should have been.  

And MS knew it, which is why it rushed out Win 7 when sales of Vista were poor, in much less the time that it went from XP to Vista.

Offline LoadWB

« Reply #70 on: March 08, 2012, 05:11:06 AM »
Quote from: stefcep2;682893
Depends on how you look at it:  If you think that the changes to the kernel in Win 7 ( I take your word for it that they exist) are so significant and could only have been implemented at the time when Win 7 was released, well and good.  But most people see the XP-->Vista "upgrade" as a broken failure.

You don't have to take my word on it.  Mark Russinovich, formerly of SysInternals, has written numerous in-depth articles on the matter which you can find on TechNet.

I'll definitely give you that Vista is broken, though I will say that the upgrade process worked flawlessly for the several I did.  Vista is crap, there's certainly no argument there.  Like 7, it does have a number of internal enhancements, like the new security model for drivers, but any gains were incumbered by what some would argue is sloppy programming or over-intricate dependencies.

My  view is that Win 7 is what Vista should have been.

I'll concede that, as well, given Microsoft had over a half-decade to work on it.

And MS knew it, which is why it rushed out Win 7 when sales of Vista were poor, in much less the time that it went from XP to Vista.

And padded their Vista licensing figures, and so on.  Yeah, they know they have a turkey, which explains the very short support life-span of Vista.  What really pisses me off is the obvious "phuq-you" Microsoft gave to people who refused to go to Vista in the form of no direct in-place upgrade path from XP to 7.

Offline LoadWB

« Reply #71 on: March 08, 2012, 05:09:52 PM »
From Slashdot,  Start8
   - Adds a “Start” menu to the Windows 8 taskbar
    - Enables quick access and searching of your installed applications
    - Adds Run... option via right-click menu
    - Adds Shutdown... option via right-click menu
    - Choose a custom Start button image

Offline commodorejohn

« Reply #72 on: March 08, 2012, 05:56:12 PM »
And that says it all right there - instead of a zero-day crack, we have a [strike]zero[/strike] negative-day restoration of old functionality...

Offline persiaTopic starter

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #73 on: March 22, 2012, 08:10:51 PM »
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #74 on: March 22, 2012, 08:29:09 PM »
Quote from: persia;684818

There should be an Amiga tab to this, also.  Something like "Cool, I've only been waiting since 1994" or "Coming in two more weeks!", or something, LOL.  ;-)

Have downloaded that Windows 8 preview here, myself.  Kind of scared to try it out, sounds like I'm going to hate it.  Russian proverb: "New is first enemy of old".  ;-p
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos