Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Just acquired an AmigaOne - help me figure out how to pimp it out  (Read 1785 times)

Description:

Offline NinjaCyborgTopic starter

Have recently acquired my first AmigaOne, well specifically it's an ACube Sam 460ex. Any recommendations as to the best way to set it up - fine tuning software and settings, accessorising it and so on?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2020, 07:05:50 PM by NinjaCyborg »

Offline Matt_H

Re: Just acquired an AmigaOne - help me figure out how to pimp it out
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2020, 09:56:11 PM »
Do you have just a board or a complete system? I have one of the older XEs and there's not a whole lot to do in terms of setup. You'll want the latest OS4.1FE, probably AEon's Enhancer Software, and then it's up to your own preferences for the rest.

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2020, 10:09:30 PM »
Well it needs a new case and PSU but yes otherwise I have all the bits and pieces. I want the smallest case I can find, ideally with an external PSU if such a thing exists. It came with a radeon card but for my purposes I'm not sure I'll use it.

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2020, 03:02:59 AM »
If I recall, it's a standard-sized board, so there should be plenty of case options.
Graphics drivers are more limited, though, so you may want to hold onto that Radeon--or upgrade to a newer one. Support for new (relatively speaking) Radeons is pretty good with the drivers in the Enhancer Software package. Check the docs.

Have fun with it. I always enjoy setting up new systems :)

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2020, 06:27:32 AM »
Yeah it came with a radeon and the drivers, I'm just not sure i want to put it in a case with fan and big power supply when the onboard graphics will meet my needs, i'm more interested in using it as a SBC, silent and not taking up much space.

Offline Bennymee

• Show only replies by Bennymee
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2020, 09:49:01 AM »
Have recently acquired my first AmigaOne, well specifically it's an ACube Sam 460ex. Any recommendations as to the best way to set it up - fine tuning software and settings, accessorising it and so on?

At least a RadeonHD from the 7 series to enjoy Warp, Nova etc.
And a SSD drive, but that is almost standard these days.

The Sapphire Radeon 7750 passive is a quiet card without a fan.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 09:49:53 AM by Bennymee »
Amiga 500, 1200, 4000, Amigaone, Morphos, CyberstormPPC, Blizzardppc, OS4.x

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2020, 10:44:03 AM »
Thinking of one of these as a case https://j-hackcompany.com/?product=j-hack-pure-mk2 - any gotchas?

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2020, 06:02:17 PM »
Thinking of one of these as a case https://j-hackcompany.com/?product=j-hack-pure-mk2 - any gotchas?

Personally, I'd go for one that has a bay for a CD drive, but it's your system so do what you want. :)
That said, it looks like a nice case, but the board might be just a little too wide for it. Specs say the case is for miniITX or miniDTX but ACube says the 460ex is a flexATX board. Looks like a nice small manufacturer, though, so I imagine they'll answer an email inquiring about exact internal dimensions. Or make sure they have a good return policy if things don't work out. ;)

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2020, 06:58:03 PM »
Thanks... i read it was both flex and micro atx compatible. And I was planning to use an external USB CD drive.

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2020, 11:36:57 PM »
In that case (ha ha... sorry) it looks like you're set!

Might be worth getting the riser card at purchase time if you might ever change your mind about the graphics card (or some other card).

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2020, 08:07:20 AM »
Anyone else? (bump)