Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Analogic Computers - The Stinker  (Read 12294 times)

Description:

Offline TheMagicM

• Show only replies by TheMagicM
    • http://www.BartonekDragRacing.com
Re: Analogic Computers - The Stinker
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2004, 02:24:52 PM »
I dunno..sounded funny at first.. lol
PowerMac G5 dual 2.0ghz/128meg Radeon/500gb HD/2GB RAM, MorphOS 3.9 registered, user #1900
Powerbook G4 5,6 1.67ghz/2gb RAM, Radeon 9700/250gb hd, MorphOS 3.9 registered #3143

Offline Framiga

• Show only replies by Framiga
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2004, 02:36:13 PM »
altough i understand the disappointing, i think that the "black list" has to be applyed to other resellers too.

How about Vesalia, selling DOA CSPPC in 2001-2002? (and they KNEW it)

Or sending CSPPC 180Mhz (in 2002 a 604e-180?!?) instead of a already paied 233 Mhz and DOA too?

no words . .

Offline Brian Hoskins

• Electronics Engineer & Computer Programmer
    • Show only replies by Brian Hoskins
    • brianhoskins.uk
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2004, 03:54:31 PM »
About two years ago when I was still running a ZorroII based Amiga1200 machine I ordered a ZorroII PowerFlyer card from them.  I was quite pleasently suprised to find someone still selling these cards as I hadn't had any luck anywhere else.  I placed an order with them, paid, and waited for the card to arrive.

Two months and a multitude of phone calls later I was still waiting, and each time I contacted them I was fobbed off with a similar story about how they were still waiting to get hold of a couple of these cards and they were expecting to do so very soon.  As soon as they got the cards in stock, my order was going to be despatched straight away.  I remember wondering where these cards were supposedly coming from, and suspected that Analogic were infact lying to me.  There were no cards, and there never was going to be.

3 months later I still hadn't received anything.  I gave them a phone call and demanded that I get a refund, since I had not received what I'd ordered over 3 months previously and it seemed plainly obvious that I was never going to either.  They offered me a standard PowerFlyer instead, but by this point I was so annoyed with their terrible service that I declined the offer.  I still wanted a powerflyer, but I decided I'd wait for their refund and then take my business elsewhere.

To cut this story short, I never received a powerflyer from Analogic - Zorro or standard.  I never received a refund either, so basically I paid Analogic a lot of money for something I never ever received. Infact, I'd even paid extra for the super-fast postage, so I paid for immediate postage on an item that was never posted!   Eventually I stopped bothering to contact them about it.  I was so completely annoyed and frustrated with them that I decided I was wasting my time.  The only way forward was to take them to the small claims court, but I couldn't be bothered with the hassle, I'd had enough of it already.  I wrote off the money that I'd paid out for the Zorro Powerflyer and decided never to deal with them ever again.

Analogic Computers are very, VERY dodgy people to do business with.  There are quite few decent UK dealers these days, but if I am in the market for some hardware/software for a classic or new Amiga I'd definately recommend AmigaKit.com

Brian Hoskins

Offline Bobsonsirjonny

• Show only replies by Bobsonsirjonny
    • http://amigadevbox.happybiscuit.com/
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2004, 04:20:13 PM »
They are a waste of space. I also had issues with them in 96-97 when I sent my A1200 off for repair. They held on to it for several months claiming they couldnt get the part - my local PC store round the corner said they could order it in and do the repair for me - and they only occaisionally dealt with Amigas!

Analogic promised to send my machine back so I could take it to the PC store, but didn't. This dragged on for months. My Mum (I was 16 at the time) threatened them with legal action - till in the end a call to trading standards scared the crap out of them and they sent it back. However, the serial number didnt match and this A1200 was dirty, greasy, fakey to boot and would constantly crash. I phoned Analogic up and was told to "push all the cables in" .. they then hung up on me.

DO NOT DEAL WITH THIS COMPANY. From my experience with them and what I have read here they are clearly a bunch of incompetant {bleep}tards.
The REAL BOBSON - accept no immitations!

8 Bloody Tickets!
http://amigadevbox.happybiscuit.com/

http://www.killingwithkindness.com/

Some of my drawings

Offline odin

• Colonization had Galleons
    • Show only replies by odin
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2004, 04:27:01 PM »
I wonder how it is possible that these kind of companies keep on existing?

Offline Framiga

« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2004, 04:41:24 PM »
BTW . . . Hyperspeed , where have you found an Analogic AD or so on AOrg? i haven't found nothing Analogic related as suggested retailer here.

A lot of complains, yes

Offline Rob

« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2004, 08:06:11 PM »
I bought an 060 from Analogic a while ago and am quite happy with
although the price did manage jump an extra £20 between reading the ad
and making my order but £170 seemed reasonable at the time.

The chip is marked as an XC68EC060RC60 an genuine 60Mhz part.  I while
back I tried overclocking it to 80Mhz but discovered that setpatch
crashed it because the FPU is the weak link.  I remember posting this
on an overclocking thread in one of the forums and being told by
someone that it didn't have an FPU.
I don't know how they worked that out without seeing my system there
was also the fact that setpatch crashed it because it activated the
FPU plus I ran quake and FPU versions of software on my system and
also my showconfig below.

PROCESSOR:      CPU 68060/68060fpu/68060mmu
CUSTOM CHIPS:   AA PAL Alice (id=$0023), AA Lisa (id=$00F8)
VERS:   Kickstart version 45.57, Exec version 45.20, Disk version 45.3
RAM:    Node type $A, Attributes $5 (FAST), at $78000000-$7BF7FFFF (63.5 meg)
        Node type $A, Attributes $703 (CHIP), at $4000-$1FFFFF (~2.0 meg)
BOARDS:
 Board + ROM (HD?) (phase 5):   Prod=8512/17($2140/$11) (@$EA0000 128K)
 Board (Index Information Ltd):   Prod=2206/32($89E/$20) (@$EC0000 128K)
 Board (Index Information Ltd):   Prod=2206/160($89E/$A0) (@$200000 8meg)

Ayway I was happy with what I got so guess I'm lucking in that
respect.  When it was at 80Mhz I tried out a demo which didn't require
an FPU and it absolutely flew.

Offline Holley

• Show only replies by Holley
    • http://www.Front-Runners.net
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2004, 01:16:09 AM »
I got a couple of little things from them a while back, and everything came through ok (albeit at an obscene price!!).

God only knows how they managed to get things greasy / messy - my house is always in a mess with cat hair everywhere (got 7 of 'em) and I've never had a problem keeping components/computers clean.
\\"Sex, drugs and rock n\\\' roll are very good for you\\" - Ian Dury

Offline lurkist

• Show only replies by lurkist
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2004, 03:48:21 AM »
I also took advantage of their 060 deal in 2001 - i paid £183 for it complete with MMU and FPU, i have used it constantly since (with varying degrees of success!).  
I also bought an 810 MB 2.5" HD in early 2000 which worked well, and has recently been re-installed successfully in my main A1200 following recent 3.5" troubles (grr).
The transactions went smoothly and i never asked for follow-up, but their telephone manner left a little to be desired...
A1200 Power Tower, Blizzard 1260 66 +32MB, OS3.9, 2.5\\" HD, IDEfix97 + DVD-RW + Zip, SD/FF + 15\\" CRT, Ioblix1200P + scanner, PCMCIA LAN + router

Offline Brian Hoskins

• Electronics Engineer & Computer Programmer
    • Show only replies by Brian Hoskins
    • brianhoskins.uk
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2004, 07:40:59 AM »
I am suprised to hear someone mention Vesalia Computers as a "bad supplier" because I've had nothing but good dealings with them.  Infact I find most German Amiga dealers to be excellent, a favourite of mine are KDH.

I suppose it all comes down to the sad realities of business, and that is no matter WHAT you do, you can't possibly please everyone all of the time and there will always be some complaints from somewhere.  That said, I do feel Analogic get more than their fair share of complaints and I definately feel they were unreasonable when dealing with my particular order.  I'm quite a reasonable man and do understand that there can be problems from time to time, but I feel Analogic failed to resolve my complaint and I think that's the worst crime of all.

Brian

Offline Jettah

• Show only replies by Jettah
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2004, 10:46:25 AM »
@thread

Every reseller of Amiga-goodies seems to misinterprete the book on The Reseller's Proper Practices.

In the years past I purchased quite a lot of stuff from my supplier. Up to an amount of some 7000.-- Euri's. Including an x86-based Amiga Develloper system as it was then advertised. Not a small customer by any measure I'd think!

But one day I ordered some stuff and got the wrong one, so returned it straight away after calling the company about it. Still awaiting the replacement or refund (E50.00). Amiga Format dropped beside the road. My supplier used to send me a copy of it every month. While still three copies to go, AF suddenly stopped. Instead I got a chance to jump on the AmigActive bandwagon, as my supplier made me an offer to change accordingly: my remaining rights to 3 AF's(Note well: with accompanying CD-ROM) were supplanted with a right to get exactly one copy of AA (Note well: without CD-ROM). Later on I paid for my annual subscription to AA and while having paid for it, nearly at the same moment AA dropped also by the wayside.
All this has set me back, IIRC, some 230 Euri's, so I wrote a letter about this and a second one a few months later. Now after 4 years I still have no reply. If I'd only gotten an explication about it, I would not make all this fuss about it, but nothing came.
And now that I'm looking for an A1 I'm NOT inclined to call on my former supplier! But that A1 will be here sooner or later (rather sooner then later).

My 2 cents...

Jettah
Sometimes I wish I was Mt Vesuvius: laying on my back in the sun while smoking a bit and everybody seeing me would say: \\"Look! He\\\'s active!\\" (author unknown to me)

Offline amigakit

« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2004, 11:23:18 AM »
Some interesting points here:

* Amigans never forget bad service- even years after
* Market is too small for dealers to alienate some users and move onto other Amigans.
* Bad experiences are always documented- not the countless good transactions.

www.AmigaKit.com - Amiga Reseller | Manufacturer | Developer

New Products  --   Customer Help & Support -- @amigakit

Offline Jettah

« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2004, 11:41:12 AM »

amigakit wrote:
Some interesting points here:

* Amigans never forget bad service- even years after
* Market is too small for dealers to alienate some users and move onto other Amigans.
* Bad experiences are always documented- not the countless good transactions.

About your first point:
When my car dealer would apply bad service, I would make a complaint about it. Equally so when the supplier of household machines would apply bad service. This is NOT Amiga specific!

About your second point:
Very, very true! Could not agree more.

About your third point:
Good transactions are expected, as they are paid for! That's why they go unnoticed. Anything that is out of order in your perception, is litterly remarkable. But when someone provides a service of a quality above expected, it is being made known publically. As that Swedish reseller, who supplied free SiL0680 cards to A1 purchasers to overcome a hardware issue. Can't say it went unnoticed.

My opinion.

Jettah
Sometimes I wish I was Mt Vesuvius: laying on my back in the sun while smoking a bit and everybody seeing me would say: \\"Look! He\\\'s active!\\" (author unknown to me)

Offline Framiga

« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2004, 11:55:37 AM »
Hi BrianJHoskins,

i have absolutely (quite) anything against Vesalia but the above mentioned behaviour (selling DOA CSPPC) are FACTS.

We are speaking about many boards sold from the 2001 DCE production, sold at about 800-900 EUR each . . .

Have tryed to contact Vesalia AFTER a good or a bad deal?

My personal "bad dealing" with Vesalia, is too little to be mentioned here.

I was speaking about what i've heard/read around.

Customer care is an essential issue for a Company . . . .even if small like Vesalia.

Ciao :-)

PS- during the loooong DCE thread time, i've contacted Vesalia, doing this simple question:

"i'm interested in a CSPPC233-060 . . . have you tested them before the shipment?". . .3 times .  .

never received a reply.

Offline amigakit

« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2004, 12:05:58 PM »
@Jettah

You are right, every transaction should ideally go off without a hitch but sometimes customers expectations are exceeded and those circumstances are rarely noted.

Also, it has been mentioned before, but it is worth saying that dealers can be let down by external factors.  Remember that you are a customer of the dealer and the dealer is a customer of their suppliers.  When the dealer is let down, it goes straight down the chain.  In the PC market it is easy to get a contingency plan as you have several suppliers providing the same product, but in the Amiga market, items are exclusively available from one source, so product slippage cannot be managed around.
www.AmigaKit.com - Amiga Reseller | Manufacturer | Developer

New Products  --   Customer Help & Support -- @amigakit

Offline Jettah

« Reply #29 from previous page: November 21, 2004, 01:50:13 PM »
@AmigaKit

You've got a point there. But when a customer writes a letter as to inquire after some practices and none of those letters have been answered to, then that customer may justifyingly regard himself as being pissed off. In my case ANY answer would have been sufficient, as long as it had been an answer with some body.
Being in some kind of trade myself, although due to worldwide market situations not so actively anymore, I may speak of having had pleasant encounters with my customers when it came to knowledge of the matters at hand. I have always felt that the better the (potential) customer was informed the better it was for all involved.
I have had very little complaints at that time and those that eventually came through were dealt with in a proper way, me not being Sinterklaas (Dutch for Santa Claus).

So even as a reseller is a customer in his own right he cannot and may not neglect the final customer! My reseller did and is rewarded for that in my own way: no more business even when he's about 50% cheaper, faster, better, whatever!My money is as good as anyone's and I want to be treated with due respect. And, yes I take the particular Amiga-market into account: guess what I could have gotten myself for that 7000.-- Euri's Windoze-(un)wise!But that would include headaches by the score, extensive headbalding, heargreying and nightmares to boot probably :-D

Cheers,

Jettah