Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Steve Jobs parked in Handicapped spaces and kicked old ladies?  (Read 8440 times)

Description:

Offline Thorham

• Show only replies by Thorham
Re: Steve Jobs parked in Handicapped spaces and kicked old ladies?
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2014, 03:33:54 PM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;763799
So superior, in fact, that they've dropped back to a core OS from the '70s.

What's wrong with that? Toilet paper was introduced in 1857, and we still use it :p
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 03:36:08 PM by Thorham »

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2014, 03:47:26 PM »
The difference is that toilet paper is a good design.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2014, 04:14:07 PM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;763802

If it's such a great design why can you only use half of it (one side) and then throw it away?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline Thorham

• Show only replies by Thorham
« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2014, 04:30:56 PM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;763802

:roflmao:

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2014, 04:38:11 PM »
Quote from: ferrellsl;763789
True, and it's too bad that Woz didn't and still doesn't realize what a tool he was for Jobs.  He still doesn't understand that Jobs exploited his work and left him standing in the shadows, but that is what Jobs excelled at....stealing the work of others and taking credit for it.

I'm liking you more by the minute.
Woz was never that interested in the sales and marketing side of the business that Jobs focused on.
Of the two, Wozniak was a creator of original ideas.
You're right, Jobs just exploited the work of others.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline Minuous

« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2014, 04:46:44 PM »
Quote from: Sean Cunningham;763788
Here's a history lesson for you then.  Also, a suggestion to read a little more carefully.  I'm mostly talking about Jobs himself, though you do have Apple to thank for the proliferation of the smart phone in America.  Not the bull%&$#?@!%&$#?@!%&$#?@!%&$#?@! that M*torola and everyone else had been pedaling while Asia had been enjoying even smarter phones than we have now since the '90s at least.

M*torola phones are crap, we can agree on that at least.

Whatever to the rest of that rubbish you're talking about.

The topic, if you actually bothered to read the title of the thread, is Jobs' ethics. My succint comments about his DRM-encumbered crap are more relevant in that context than your fanboy rambling and inaccurate statements about NeXT and rendering software.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 04:49:04 PM by Minuous »

Offline Iggy

« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2014, 04:52:28 PM »
Quote from: Sean Cunningham;763788
Here's a history lesson for you then...

Revisionist history at best.

"The Web began life on NeXT."

Seriously?
No. The Web was just a natural evolution of the internet.
NeXT hardware played a role, but not one that couldn't have been carried out on other equipment.

Were NeXT machines nice development platforms? Of course. Other preferred SGI hardware, personally I like Sun. Underneath, all based on very similar OS'.
None of them particularly startling in their originality.

And, as to your snide comments about Amiga fanatics, a very valid point was made earlier about Amiga having color graphics when Mac was just black and white (and it might be added stereo sound as well).

Frankly, you're just as tiresome as the Amiga fanatics.
You all argue from fixed points of view.
But the facts don't back up any of you.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 05:02:46 PM by Iggy »
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

Offline nicholas

« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2014, 05:08:43 PM »
Quote from: Thorham;763800
What's wrong with that? Toilet paper was introduced in 1857, and we still use it :p

And we've been using the even superior method of washing our arses since ~600CE. :P
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline Iggy

« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2014, 05:16:58 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;763808
And we've been using the even superior method of washing our arses since ~600CE. :P

AND wiping with your left hand, after all, you shake hands and eat with your right.

Offline TheWizard

• Show only replies by TheWizard
« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2014, 05:54:50 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;763809
AND wiping with your left hand, after all, you shake hands and eat with your right.

Iggy, if Steve Jobs were still around, in his presence you'd be wiping his ass with your toilet paper. What have you done for computing at large, better or worse? NOTHING. What do you cherish? Some old school PPC machines?!! A G5 Mac no less? You make me laugh. Rotting in the earth Steve Jobs is still doing more than you. Don't bother replying, I wont check. BTW, Amiga.org has been %&$#?@!%&$#?@!%&$#?@!%&$#?@! for years.
Amigas:
A1000, 8mb Phoenix Fast-Ram Expansion
A2000HD, Kick 3.1, Fusion 68040, 20megs Fast Ram, Genlock

Offline ferrellsl

« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2014, 06:02:36 PM »
Quote from: TheWizard;763810
Iggy, if Steve Jobs were still around, in his presence you'd be wiping his ass with your toilet paper. What have you done for computing at large, better or worse? NOTHING. What do you cherish? Some old school PPC machines?!! A G5 Mac no less? You make me laugh. Rotting in the earth Steve Jobs is still doing more than you. Don't bother replying, I wont check. BTW, Amiga.org has been %&$#?@!%&$#?@!%&$#?@!%&$#?@! for years.

Wow, just wow......that's about the most immature and inaccurate comment I've ever seen here at Amiga.org and that says a lot about the author.

Offline nicholas

« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2014, 06:08:22 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;763809
Well I tend to use a knife/fork/spoon myself but that is correct.

Thankfully we have soap these days too. :lol:
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline odin

• Colonization had Galleons
    • Show only replies by odin
« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2014, 07:44:59 PM »
So what do you do with the spoils once you're finished spooning or forking your rectum? Deposit it in the toilet? Put the cutlery in the dishwasher?

Offline Iggy

« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2014, 08:14:16 PM »
Quote from: ferrellsl;763811
Wow, just wow......that's about the most immature and inaccurate comment I've ever seen here at Amiga.org and that says a lot about the author.

It isn't that important to me what he thinks.

I definitely did not play the kind of role Jobs did in the industry.
Although the firm I was working for in the '80's did build multitasking 68K based systems with an X-Windows based GUI.
Unlike higher priced Amiga and Apple offerings, our base four user system started at slightly less than $1000.

As Apple and PC systems have become essentially identical commodity priced appliances, I miss the days when hardware was more diverse.

However, once everything reached a fairly high of competence, the particulars became somewhat irrelevant.

Buying a computer these days is about as exciting as shopping for an air conditioner.

Software COULD make a difference, BUT OSX offers no real advantage over any competing solution. So if you want to pay a premium for your perceptions...

Anyway, at least insulting Steve these days doesn't get you a phone call (thanks to the fact that he's DEAD).
I still remember the conversations I had with the producer of the film "The Hurt Locker" after making the mistake of calling him a whiner online.
AND he had a point (film makers invest money to make a profit, without that, no high budget films).

So, if Steve is to be missed, maybe its not so much for his well polished, if stolen, product ideas.
Its those random phone calls that he would make in his defense that are to be admired.
"Intense personality" has many definitions (not all good), but Jobs was definitely intense.

Offline nicholas

« Reply #43 on: May 05, 2014, 08:15:05 PM »
Quote from: odin;763817
So what do you do with the spoils once you're finished spooning or forking your rectum? Deposit it in the toilet? Put the cutlery in the dishwasher?

The cutlery is for eating as opposed to using "the right hand" as Iggy suggested.

We wash our arses with soap and water using the left hand after taking a crap, likewise our genitals after urinating.

The smell on public transport from the unwashed sh1t smeared arses and p1ss stained underwear is awful, especially during the summer months.

I don't think the smell is noticed by those dirty unwashed people though.

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #44 from previous page: May 05, 2014, 08:20:40 PM »
Computers are now consumption devices, be it tablet, laptop or desktop.  Most people just want music, facebook and pictures.  But it was the same thing with the automobile or any other piece of technology.  I know people who do amazingly creative things with just an iPad and people who do nothing but gaming on 8 -12 core behemoths.   I know the reverse too.  Computers are ubiquitous.  We don't even think about them now.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.