Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A CD-ROM on the A1200  (Read 580 times)

Description:

Offline tjvy2Topic starter

• Show only replies by tjvy2
A CD-ROM on the A1200
« on: September 20, 2004, 11:21:35 PM »
Bonjour,

I recently was lucky enough to be given a vanilla CBM A1200 - I took the chap up on the offer as I'd been a user of the A500 and A1200 in the '90s.

I'm about to fit a 4GB 2.5" hard drive, but would also like to add a CD-ROM. I want to use it to transfer files from other computers to the A1200 hard disk, and the alternative ethernet solution sounds more complicated. I've looked around the internet, but many of the sites about Amigas and CD-ROMs seem to have succombed to the ravages of time. If anyone would help answer my questions, I'd be very grateful.

Firstly, am I right in thinking that I need to obtain a splitter for the internal IDE slot, something like IDE-FIX

http://amigasuperbit.com/cgi/tienda/product_info.php?cPath=27_5&products_id=267

to give me an extra 3.5" interface, and a run-of-the-mill ATAPI device? What will the CD-ROM do for power? Will it be able to take it from the Amiga?

Also, will I need some sort of file system driver installed to use it?

Secondly, if I first install the hard disk without the splitter, and subsequently add the splitter and the CD-ROM, will the hard disk be affected?

Many thanks,

Tim

Offline Dan

• Show only replies by Dan
Re: A CD-ROM on the A1200
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2004, 11:34:54 PM »

tjvy2 wrote:
Bonjour,

I recently was lucky enough to be given a vanilla CBM A1200 - I took the chap up on the offer as I'd been a user of the A500 and A1200 in the '90s.

I'm about to fit a 4GB 2.5" hard drive, but would also like to add a CD-ROM. I want to use it to transfer files from other computers to the A1200 hard disk, and the alternative ethernet solution sounds more complicated. I've looked around the internet, but many of the sites about Amigas and CD-ROMs seem to have succombed to the ravages of time. If anyone would help answer my questions, I'd be very grateful.

Firstly, am I right in thinking that I need to obtain a splitter for the internal IDE slot, something like IDE-FIX

http://amigasuperbit.com/cgi/tienda/product_info.php?cPath=27_5&products_id=267

to give me an extra 3.5" interface, and a run-of-the-mill ATAPI device?

Not neccesary but highly recommended, I ran a Cd-rom with just a custom ide-cable 2,5"-->2x3,5" and just the idefix software. But it´s less hassle with the adapter especially since you want both 2,5" and 3,5" ide-connectors.

What will the CD-ROM do for power? Will it be able to take it from the Amiga?

Possible but I wouldn´t trust the standard A1200 powersupply, espcailly not if you upgrade some more.
Convert a pc-powersupply to an amiga-psu or just power the CD-rom with a external psu.

Also, will I need some sort of file system driver installed to use it?

In WB3.1 there is a Cd-rom driver provided by Commodore, if you get a Idefix you get one with the adapter.
Do you have 3.0 or 3.1 ROMs and WB?
Secondly, if I first install the hard disk without the splitter, and subsequently add the splitter and the CD-ROM, will the hard disk be affected?
Many thanks,
Tim

No it won´t be affected at all.
Apple did it right the first time, bring back the Newton!

Offline Holley

• Show only replies by Holley
    • http://www.Front-Runners.net
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2004, 11:36:30 PM »
There's ways and means.  Elbox still stock the tidiest and cheapest (new) IDE splitter that allows use of 2.5" IDE connectors mixed with regular ones.  Check around for 2nd hand splitters, sometimes they pop up (though not often).

Or there is the Squirrel SCSI interface, they pop up 2nd hand sometimes too ...

The power would need to come from a PC power supply (or you can get external 5.25" drive enclosures that also have a PSU in 'em).

Yes you would need a CD filesystem, there's a couple of freely available ones that work nicely.  An IDEFix needs it's own driver too, but the natty little Elbox splitter does not!

A harddisk won't be affected by another IDE device being added, as long as they don't clash in the IDE setup (ie. a max of one master and one slave per channel).

I think that covers everything ...
\\"Sex, drugs and rock n\\\' roll are very good for you\\" - Ian Dury

Offline leirbag28

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2004, 11:49:54 PM »
@tjvy2

Well if all you want to do is transfer stuff from your PC to your Amiga....there is a ten times easier and cheaper way..............but a 32Mb CompactFlash card with PCMCIA adaptor, and download CF.lha and Fat95.lha from Aminet.and now you will be able to transfer anything from you PC laptop to your Amigas PCMCIA port!  ahhh what a breeze!

Even if you add a CDROM drive.I say leave the PCMCIA port free.because in the future you may want to go onlne with a PCMCIA ethernet Modem using Cable or DSL internet..don't take up the PCMCIA slot unnecessarily.

CD32 is actually the best Amiga ever made by Commodore!...