Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: hyperthreading  (Read 2240 times)

Description:

Offline CannonFodder

• Show only replies by CannonFodder
Re: hyperthreading
« Reply #44 from previous page: February 17, 2007, 02:54:03 PM »
-Edit- I'm pretty sure a friend of mine had showed me an SVGA flight sim on his PC in 1992... it might have been later though...

The Wing Commander games were out in 1992 IIRC.

And this was out in '93. ;-)
People are hostile to what they do not understand - Imam Ali ibn Abi Talib(AS)

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #45 on: February 17, 2007, 03:07:10 PM »

Zac67 wrote:

bloodline wrote:

Basically, all the newer x86 chips are a risc style core running emulated old microcode instructions thru multiple pipelines wrapped inside caches to maximise speed.

You do realise that's how the 68060 worked, right?

This is not true. All instructions are directly run through microcode. The '060 is running a multi-scalar, non-RISC core very much like the (first) Pentium. There's no out-of-order execution either.

Yes, I was trying to simplify it for the OP, who seemed to think the early Pentium and the 060 were totally different... I did clarify the modern aproach below that line.

Offline DamageX

• Show only replies by DamageX
    • http://www.hyakushiki.net/
« Reply #46 on: February 18, 2007, 07:51:20 AM »
Remember that most VGA graphics cards in those days meant a 256 color 320x200 display and still a 16 color 640x480 mode. In other words an 8-bit graphics display. We didn't really have a "bitblit" command or a real blitter or anything like a "BIMMER" until at least 1994-1995

One thing to consider is that a 486 with a VLB video card is easily faster than the Amiga's blitter. Kind of like how using fblit is generally faster on an upgraded Amiga, except moreso.

I'm not sure how far back 16/24-bit SVGA cards go. (When did VESA VBE 1.2 show up?) The thing is, in the beginning they were expensive just like Amiga gfx cards, hundreds of dollars. But by '96 I remember 1MB SVGA cards being $35 at the computer shows.

Offline Starke

• Show only replies by Starke
« Reply #47 on: February 18, 2007, 01:11:37 PM »
@ Azryl:

Quote:
Flame me, bore me... geez just get i
Me:
Strange, then why do you ever post on these forums if you get bored?

Azryl wrote:

You cannot compare two totally different computer systems with kernel philospohy's from decades apart. Its just not fair

End quote

Why cant we compare, is it just that you dont like the fact of how good Amiga OS was/is Technically(programming wise) seen?

Or Rather at how well the creators of the Amiga OS's have always managed to make it work so well with limited hardware?

Lets face it mate, at the end of the day, we always will be needing to upgrade our PC's because some ass hole named Bill Gates won the battle through deception towards the public back in the day through advertising and whatever else!

This is the guy who started it all, and all followed like sheep, including hardware companies, looking to make things extremely fast and versatile with their motherboards(but not too versatile, we wouldnt want that -(sarcasm))

When yet all this, just to accomodate for what we need to run, rather than actually having wise programming that doesnt require massive amount of resources. {bleep}, I do CAD and the fuken resources in comparison to the Amiga CAD are two different things, and I am talking about back in the day comparing the two.

Naturally now I can no longer compare, but Im sure if Amiga was a bigger market, including CAD, it would win over other platforms CAD software designed for their OS's!

Anyway, who cares, Amiga's still here, MAcs are and so are PC's.

Soon, Amiga OS's will be on PC platforms, and it'll be interesting to see how much better it is!And whether or not its programming of an OS, or the actual hardware used!

Cheers!8-)  8-)

P.S.And no, I didnt flame you, nor bore you, as you read this thread didnt you!!
AMIGA will rise!