Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: hyperthreading  (Read 2241 times)

Description:

Offline zyphoidTopic starter

• Show only replies by zyphoid
hyperthreading
« on: February 15, 2007, 11:23:20 AM »
I'm inclined to agree with you Roj in the sense that i know what you are saying.  whether it was software or just a well put together system, the amiga seems to do (on some scale) what p4's ect. are doing now!  I showed a buddy of mine that I could open 20+ applications without slowing down my system including playing a game and listening to music! It so happened that i kept going till i was out of chip ram!  needless to say that the pc couldn't match this.  Let's not forget whether amiga invented mulitasking or not....we perfected it!   oh yea, my frend was impressed! :pissed:
A1200T Mid-Night 060@50mhz tv tuner,voodoo banshee,usb subway,mediator,Dual Multi partition 200Gig 2.5/3.5HD, Twin dual-layer lite-on dvd 52x dvd-rw, sx-32pro030@50mhz my favorite system what xbox came from til someone says otherwise,A500 Efika...

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
Re: hyperthreading
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2007, 11:54:05 AM »
No, you had 20+ applications open. Not that many were running.

Since most gui applications are event driven, the vast majority of your applications were simply waiting for you to interact with them.

Only the game will have been running constantly, the music player will probably have been executing code mostly upon interrupts and spending the rest of the time asleep too.

Try running one cpu intensive program that is always in the "ready to run" state, at the same priority as your game and see how well you can play it...
int p; // A

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2007, 12:20:54 PM »
i had 3 games going tv sports boxing solitaire and wb arkanoid. yea.. the point is the pc still countn't match this i've tried, so did he. They just have more power and support.  given the age of the amiga....it is just a simply amazing system!  hopw A1 lives up to this
A1200T Mid-Night 060@50mhz tv tuner,voodoo banshee,usb subway,mediator,Dual Multi partition 200Gig 2.5/3.5HD, Twin dual-layer lite-on dvd 52x dvd-rw, sx-32pro030@50mhz my favorite system what xbox came from til someone says otherwise,A500 Efika...

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2007, 12:24:23 PM »

zyphoid wrote:
i had 3 games going tv sports boxing solitaire and wb arkanoid. yea.. the point is the pc still countn't match this i've tried, so did he. They just have more power and support.  given the age of the amiga....it is just a simply amazing system!  hopw A1 lives up to this

On a 50Mhz 060? I expect the Games were just waiting for input too...

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2007, 12:28:55 PM »
I can run multiple windowed instances of DOSBox fine on my PC, each playing a different game (all of which were originally designed to completely take over the system using DOS4GW), complete with the overhead of physically emulating an entire PC for each instance running. That whilst simultaenously writing this post and listening to music. And this isn't a hyperthreading CPU either.
int p; // A

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2007, 12:30:30 PM »

bloodline wrote:

zyphoid wrote:

On a 50Mhz 060? I expect the Games were just waiting for input too...

Even if they are constantly running, they'd probably be still waiting on the VBlank for most of the time.

Solitaire is almost certainly sitting there waiting for IDCMP to tell it something happened.
int p; // A

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2007, 12:31:58 PM »
Try running two windowed instances of quake on your 060 and see how you get on ;-)
int p; // A

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2007, 12:33:16 PM »
@bloodline

Off topic, have you submitted your voice to voicesofaorg yet? Chop chop, then!
int p; // A

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2007, 12:40:22 PM »

Karlos wrote:
Try running two windowed instances of quake on your 060 and see how you get on ;-)

Good, point I would urge the OP to run two windowed Quake on this Amiga and then do the same on his mates PC running AROS (to make the test fair) (or even an A1 or a Peg2)... the 060 will crawl, the PC (or A1 or Peg2) will be fine... it's all to do with raw CPU power.

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2007, 02:31:09 PM »
semantics! And how old is the chipset you motorola bashers are bragging about?
Again, the point is amiga seems to do wonders with its limitations which rival more modern cpu's.  and as far as emulation... i ran win95 under pc-task while switching back and forth under a 030@50mhz!
further more, if quake was 060 compliant, i would run 2 games!  ihave ran doom, gloom3 nemac4 multitasking.  Hey if we had pentiums like mac currently do amiga would be much more capable   8-)

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2007, 02:43:01 PM »

zyphoid wrote:

further more, if quake was 060 compliant, i would run 2 games!  ihave ran doom, gloom3 nemac4 multitasking.  Hey if we had pentiums like mac currently do amiga would be much more capable   8-)

060 Compliant?

The Pentium is old Tech... gone... it's an ex CPU...

-Edit- If we look at a 486 with a Matrox Graphics card and compare it with an A1200 (both are of similar vintage)... then you would still find the 486 faster and more powerful in everyway... the fact it didn't run AmigaOS was the only down side to the experience.

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2007, 03:30:08 PM »
re: 486

yea good point but again it needed help from a graphic card and what was that like 166mhz?

Offline SamuraiCrow

• Show only replies by SamuraiCrow
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2007, 03:40:42 PM »
The Matrox graphics card was a little after the vintage of the A1200 as was the 486DX.  When I bought my A1200 the best PC you could get was a 386DX 33 MHz.

The 68060 is equivalent to the original Pentium and the accelerator card is of a later vintage than the A1200 it was plugged into.  AGA chipset is an accelerated graphics chipset much as the Matrox was except with less 3d acceleration on the AGA chipset.

What kills the performace of the PC is the fact that Windows hogs too much memory and swaps to the hard drive constantly.  AmigaOS doesn't do that.  If you run AROS on the PC you'll see that it can perform as well as an Amiga.  (If you can find 20 applications to run on it.)

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2007, 04:36:11 PM »

SamuraiCrow wrote:
The Matrox graphics card was a little after the vintage of the A1200 as was the 486DX.  When I bought my A1200 the best PC you could get was a 386DX 33 MHz.

The 68060 is equivalent to the original Pentium and the accelerator card is of a later vintage than the A1200 it was plugged into.  AGA chipset is an accelerated graphics chipset much as the Matrox was except with less 3d acceleration on the AGA chipset.

What kills the performace of the PC is the fact that Windows hogs too much memory and swaps to the hard drive constantly.  AmigaOS doesn't do that.  If you run AROS on the PC you'll see that it can perform as well as an Amiga.  (If you can find 20 applications to run on it.)

Good point lets take it back though to the early 80's AAgraphics chip on a 500/500+ running at 7mhz or 14 on the 68010  I think we can all agree nothing looked or performed better! there was also an x86 emulator card called AT-Once

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2007, 04:41:35 PM »

SamuraiCrow wrote:

My appologies, sicne I was into Amiga's during that time... I have little memory of what the PC world was doing :-)

But my point still stands, the SVGA and x86 chips were far in advance of the Amiga (due to Commodore not developing the technology) by 1992...

In fact the AGA chipset inhibited 3D by not offering a Chunky pixel mode.

Run the GFX demos (I think there are 14 of them) which come with AROS and see them in action! all multitasking away at full speed :-)