Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Nokia made a big mistake, in deep sh*t  (Read 8081 times)

Description:

Offline kickstart

• Show only replies by kickstart
Re: Nokia made a big mistake, in deep sh*t
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2012, 01:26:56 AM »
@persia

what do you want to say with this picture?
a1200 060

Offline hooligan

• Show only replies by hooligan
    • http://www.mikseri.net/hooligan
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2012, 09:39:53 AM »
Nokia N9 cant be that bad:

Sat, 24.03.12

Amiga Tracker music support for Harmattan
Tracker Music Support by Kaj-Michael Lang adds support for playing tracker music files with the built-in music player of the Nokia N9 / N950: Amiga .MOD files, ScreamTracker .S3M files, Impulse Tracker .IT files, Fast Tracker 2 .XM files and all other formats supported by libmodplug.

I WANT TOO!!!!

Offline tone007

« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2012, 12:04:17 PM »
Quote from: kickstart;688287
@persia

what do you want to say with this picture?

I'm taking it as "Nokia is like a decrepit old woman ready to keel over."
3 Commodore file cabinets, 2 Commodore USB turntables, 1 AmigaWorld beer mug
Alienware M14x i7 laptop running AmigaForever

Offline slaapliedje

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by slaapliedje
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2012, 02:07:13 AM »
Quote from: hooligan;688310
Nokia N9 cant be that bad:

I WANT TOO!!!!

I have one, and it's awesome!  All the little tweaks and hacks people are making for it simply rock.

Though in a comparison between my N900 and my N9, I'd have to say it's like the difference between the Amiga and Windows.  In that with the Amiga there are all sorts of little hacks and tweaks that you need to get it to be perfect.  The N9 is more closed off, so you can't tweak it as much, and it seems to be more 'commercial' than the N900.

Perfect example are the 'Applications' that are free and open source on the N900 are generally for .99 on the ovi store under the N9.  Though some of this is because the developers simply want donations and there are other methods (the repositories on the net) to get the same programs for free.

I kind of prefer this method.  

The best thing about both of them though as that you can develop for either (plus Linux and Windows) with the Qt SDK.

Elop basically screwed every Nokia fan over with the 'burning platform' memos, then his announcement only 6 or so months after Nokia had announced their MeeGo plans with Intel and the Linux Foundation.  

They had something going with MeeGo+Qt, but Microsoft had to screw it up like they do with everything else in the industry.  Well, now Nokia is burning because they went with WP7, and Microsoft has outright stated that WP7 is not upgradeable to WP8.  So much for the 'burning platform' eh?

slaapliedje
A4000D: Mediator 4000Di; Voodoo 3, ZorRAM 128MB, 10/100mb Ethernet, Spider 2. Cyberstorm PPC 060/50 604e/420.

Offline partycentralpartygirl

• Show only replies by partycentralpartygirl
    • http://www.partycentralsupplies.com
« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2012, 02:58:08 AM »
Quote from: slaapliedje;690252

They had something going with MeeGo+Qt, but Microsoft had to screw it up like they do with everything else in the industry.  Well, now Nokia is burning because they went with WP7, and Microsoft has outright stated that WP7 is not upgradeable to WP8.  So much for the 'burning platform' eh?

slaapliedje

To be honest I personally think that Windows 8 and WP8 will be successful products. I haven't tried developer preview yet (nor will I) but my understanding is that the APPS will be cross platform when based on the Metro Interface.

The reasoning behind thinking that this platform will be a success is because of the integration between the phone and the desktop. Now it will of course be useful to work on something in an APP and then head home for the day and work on it on the subway on a Win8 tablet or Win8 phone. This would be great to be able to just blast through stuff without having to worry about transferring files from one device to another.

This will not be the reason for it's success. If Windows8 is to be a success it will be because people are able to play "Draw Something" on their desktop, and then pick up the game on their phone after when they are waiting for their food at the restaurant. If Win8 is able to allow people to play their stupid games on a desktop platform, and then allow them to play the same game with the same account on another device the platform will succeed hands down, no problem. The only thing people care about are silly flash/HTML5/java games.

Think of the popularity of Angry Birds and Farmville. Letting people do this EASILY  will be the only selling feature that Windows needs. Stupid but it is likely to be the case.

Offline slaapliedje

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by slaapliedje
« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2012, 03:35:34 AM »
The problem with that line of thinking is that a huge majority of Microsoft's profits are from corporations.  No sane IT guy is going to be using Windows 8.  Then again, there are morons like the Windows Administrator that I work with that will probably want to use it.

Then again, this is the same guy who, when explained to him that he needed to run some virus scans on a particular person's workstation after I had discovered some suspect emails originating from said workstation stated "but he wasn't even here Friday."

Seriously, this man should be put on trial for being dangerously idiotic.

slaapliedje
A4000D: Mediator 4000Di; Voodoo 3, ZorRAM 128MB, 10/100mb Ethernet, Spider 2. Cyberstorm PPC 060/50 604e/420.

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2012, 04:15:03 AM »
The other problem with that line of thinking is that Microsoft, in attempting to enter the phone/tablet market, is going up against two well-established competitors, both of whom have more experience with it and are just plain likely to be better at it than them. Android and iOS dominate the market; what the hell is Microsoft going to offer that would sway someone to abandon their existing tablet or smartphone for a glorified Windows Phone 7 (which, I'm pretty certain, has less market share than VTech "learning computer" tablets)?
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2012, 04:35:50 AM »
Maybe some of the folks over at XDA could port Android to the N9 and make it usable...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline kickstart

• Show only replies by kickstart
« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2012, 04:50:23 AM »
@persia

Better meego than more scum from google.
a1200 060

Offline Digiman

• Show only replies by Digiman
« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2012, 04:55:52 AM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;688220
Heh, true that...come the end of active support, I'm making a fresh install, getting all the updates, and then imaging it for future use...

To be fair as long as latest emulators run on XP it works great for me. Unless I'm rendering frames for a HD movie 32bit OS is plenty fast enough too.

That 17gb saved in space can hold my ADFs and magazine scans :)

Offline Digiman

• Show only replies by Digiman
« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2012, 05:06:03 AM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;690264
The other problem with that line of thinking is that Microsoft, in attempting to enter the phone/tablet market, is going up against two well-established competitors, both of whom have more experience with it and are just plain likely to be better at it than them. Android and iOS dominate the market; what the hell is Microsoft going to offer that would sway someone to abandon their existing tablet or smartphone for a glorified Windows Phone 7 (which, I'm pretty certain, has less market share than VTech "learning computer" tablets)?

They bankrolled their way into the console market so they can only be trying it with Win phones.

However Microsoft will still fail, everyone loves Google and Apple is like a religion....kids will not seek out the M$ brand of phone OS as it's pure geek brand and offers nothing significantly better.

Funny because that's the struggle an x86 Amiga OS would face in mass market.

Offline utri007

« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2012, 06:47:56 AM »
How many of you actually has a Lumia?

I have and I'm very pleaset to it and Lumia users are generally pleased to their phones.

We need to also remember that there is only 2 models out currently.

BIGEST mistake was when Elop said that Symbian is dead a year ago. Yes it is prety much dead, but it is different thing to say it and still to try sell phones with it.
ACube Sam 440ep Flex 800mhz, 1gb ram and 240gb hd and OS4.1FE
A1200 Micronic tower, OS3.9, Apollo 060 66mhz, xPert Merlin, Delfina Lite and Micronic Scandy, 500Gb hd, 66mb ram, DVD-burner and WLAN.
A1200 desktop, OS3.9, Blizzard 060 66mhz, 66mb ram, Ide Fix Express with 160Gb HD and WLAN
A500 OS2.1, GVP+HD8 with 4mb ram, 1mb chip ram and 4gb HD
Commodore CDTV KS3.1, 1mb chip, 4mb fast ram and IDE HD

Offline itix

• Show only replies by itix
« Reply #42 on: April 24, 2012, 07:12:31 AM »
Quote from: utri007;690273
BIGEST mistake was when Elop said that Symbian is dead a year ago. Yes it is prety much dead, but it is different thing to say it and still to try sell phones with it.

The biggest mistake was to use crappy Symbian in the first place. Nokia should have abandonded Symbian many years ago... now they are declining to oblivion like Ericsson did.
My Amigas: A500, Mac Mini and PowerBook

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #43 on: April 24, 2012, 11:35:36 AM »
@kickstart Meego is dead, it's successor Tizen was still born.  If I wanted an OS for my phone that had no apps and no future it would be hard to choose between WP and Tizen...  The smartphone market is divided between Android and iOS.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
« Reply #44 from previous page: April 24, 2012, 12:38:33 PM »
There is a version of android for both the n900 and the iphone :)

Windows 8 on tablets actually looks pretty good.

Desktop version dont have to use metro and from what  I have read there have been some pretty big improvements in response times and the overall speed of the OS
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"