Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Falcon game does not work  (Read 939 times)

Description:

Offline rednovaTopic starter

• Show only replies by rednova
    • https://sites.google.com/site/rednova3d/
Falcon game does not work
« on: February 15, 2018, 02:26:59 AM »
Hi:

I just bought an original boxed game for amiga, Falcon.
Is by spectrum holobyte.
The title screen loads, but after that, the screen goes blank (full black color)
and it never loads anymore.
Many amiga games I have work fine..but I think there is nothing wrong
with the game, I think falcon does not work because there is something
wrong with my amiga. I have amiga 2000 + 68000 + 2 meg ram
Maybe the game is defective, but I believe something else is the culprit.
Any ideas ?
-mobilis in mobile-

Offline Pentad

Re: Falcon game does not work
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2018, 05:10:15 PM »
Quote from: rednova;836154
Hi:

Is by spectrum holobyte.

I don't have an answer for you but I remember back when this was new it was a pain in the butt to get working because of the copy protection. It was real touchy with the drive alignment. If you were even slightly off it wouldn't work. I recall .info magazine talking about this and legit customers using cracked copies because they were more reliable.

Maybe try a cracked copy to see if that loads ok?

I wish you the best of luck though!  :-)

-P
Linux User (Arch & OpenSUSE TW) - WinUAE via WINE

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2018, 05:54:28 PM »
I get that the appeal for you is to play these games off the original floppy disks, but (assuming you have a hard drive) you could always try this:

http://whdload.de/games/Falcon.html

:)
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline slaapliedje

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by slaapliedje
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2018, 10:20:42 PM »
That's me, I long ago gave up on trying to sort through piles of floppy drives, and would rather go with hard drive installed games, or like on other platforms, some sort of floppy drive emulation.

Definitely don't have nostalgia for the floppy changing!  Or the random time when you decide to load up a game, and the damn disk won't read...
A4000D: Mediator 4000Di; Voodoo 3, ZorRAM 128MB, 10/100mb Ethernet, Spider 2. Cyberstorm PPC 060/50 604e/420.

Offline Pat the Cat

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2018, 03:30:47 PM »
Quote from: rednova;836154
Hi:

Is by spectrum holobyte.

Assuming you got it working, it's a VERY difficult sim on a standard Amiga.

A faster processor is recommended to make the screen updates smoother and get some controlability - laggy.

Mind you, in terms of being "true" it does do a pretty good job. It's not shabby code, it's pretty good code trying to do an involved job with just a standard 68K Amiga...

... and yes, it prefers NTSC (slightly less lag on movements generating flight differences).

It was released as a budget title, but you don't get the manual with that release, and quite frankly completing a mission, let alone a full campaign,  without a manual is pretty much impossible unless you are very familiar with the real aircraft.

Even landing without busting your landing gear is tricky... At least, I found it so. Miles and miles harder than Interceptor, but not quite as "propeller head" as Tornado.
"To recurse is human. To iterate, divine."

A1200, Vanilla, Surf Squirrel, SD Card, KS 3.0/3.z, PCMCIA dev
A500, Vanilla, A570, Rev 5, KS 1.2/1.3 Testbench system
Rasp Pi, UAE4ARM, 3D laser scanner, experimental, hoping for AmigaOS4Arm, based on Watterott Fabscan Pi