Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: AROS and AFA Question  (Read 1489 times)

Description:

Offline save2600Topic starter

• Show only replies by save2600
AROS and AFA Question
« on: May 07, 2009, 02:47:35 PM »
Greets! Finally took the time to read what the hullabaloo was all about regarding this 4 letter word I keep seeing in Amiga circles: AROS. Do my eyes deceive me... Amiga OS3.1 (so long as it doesn't knock the custom chipsets) on Intel/AMD based hardware, etc? Looks like a PeeCee's best hope for usability in this home, and I just burned an .iso image to test later on an oldish-586 tower  that I've literally been using as a doorstop for years. lol

Question re: the AFA libraries, et al: Is it safe to install these and update my Startup-Sequence on the A2500 spec'd below? I have a video card of course, but I still use the ECS side of the Miggy to play games, etc. Not sure if the AFA stuff overwrites native/important things or if the enhancements are an addition to. Probably a combination, but just want to be sure I won't be making my system less reliable or unusable after getting it so far! lol

Offline wawrzon

Re: AROS and AFA Question
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009, 03:05:57 PM »
i have no experience as to if afaos interfere with amiga games, since i do not play games on miggy, but as far as i recall amiga games boot mostly from their own no-dos disks anyway. if you are using wdhload or what it is called it should be no problem too i think. apart of that you can disable afaos loader and morelibspace in your s-s anytime by commenting these out.

Offline MozzerFan

• Show only replies by MozzerFan
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2009, 03:10:01 PM »
I have AFA installed on my A4000/060 with Picasso IV, and I must say it works like a charm. My workbench looks so much better with it.

The installation of AFA doesn't overwrite anything.
If you don't like it, the only thing you have to do is to remove the AFA_OS_loader command in startup-sequence.

One thing though.
You have a deneb, so it's best to put the 'morelibspace_module' in the flashrom of the deneb instead of putting it in startup-sequence.
This command is necessary to make use of the AFA libraries.

Regards,
Lloyd

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2009, 05:41:40 PM »
Thanks for the advice fellas, especially the morelibspace_module in Deneb. I just love flashing that thing with new goodies!  lol   Will have to give all this a try later on today/tonight after I've had a few :pint: in me. Especially looking forward to turning a worthless WinTel box into something useful  ;-)

PS: be nice if the contributions included in this .iso image will recognise the sound and ethernet cards, but I suspect all that and more will have me hunting on Aminet or wherever  :-)

Offline ncafferkey

• Show only replies by ncafferkey
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2009, 08:39:27 PM »
Bear in mind that your old PC would want to have at least 64MB to do anything useful with AROS (32 would be enough to boot though), and that there aren't any AROS drivers that aren't already on the ISO AFAIK.

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2009, 09:47:42 PM »
-update-

Well, just tried booting the POS AMD K-6 machine and surprise, surprise - it wouldn't go. IDE HD was all messed up and I only have USB and PS2 style keyboards here. BIOS said 'hit F2 to setup HD'. Yeah, right. Not going to fudge around looking for an XT adapter, only to find out the HD is shot. Oh well, as if I needed another reason to chuck yet another PeeCee out the window. Totally PeeCee free here now, woohoo! lol   AROS on this stoopid platform will have to wait. People give me their old PeeCee and Mac's all the time(why can't I ever get Commodore stuff thrown my way like that?). Have a couple of Blueberry Power G3's, but at my Aunts home.

Would anyone like an ISA Creative Sound card? It's got these two small 32-pin SIMM like ram chips on it. Also have the mobo (no ram), AMD K6-233mhz, PCI S3 Virge/DX video card, PCI modem (33 or 56k?) and a PCI D-link USB card. It's all completely worthless to me, so make an offer shipped and its yours. I've got a box full of other IBM type crap if you're looking for anything in particular (few AGP video cards, wireless ethernet, etc.)

Will give AFA a shot later on my A2500...

Offline Damion

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2009, 09:52:09 PM »
AfA is working great on my A2000 (screenshot here). It does slow things down a bit, but it's still usable, and fun to have such a nice looking desktop an an old computer. My brother thought I was teasing him, running an emulated Amiga with a PC hidden behind the desk, LOL.

You can always revert back to normal by holding the left mouse button on startup... or setup additional OS partitions (what I do).

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2009, 09:58:41 PM »
Oh wow, that sure *is* pretty. Slows things down huh? Hmm... well since I'm booting of flash drives, guess I could either partition one or just pop in another and have a go at it. Great idea -D-!