Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Get paid to review old games!  (Read 606 times)

Description:

Offline anakirobTopic starter

• http://www.systemofsound.org/
Get paid to review old games!
« on: September 07, 2004, 02:01:18 AM »
[color=0000FF]GET PAID TO PLAY GAMES[/color][/b]

I am currently the editor of a fanzine called 'obscene', which is about to release issue two (issue one has been reproduced in no less than ten different incarnations over the last two years).
Unlike ish.1, ish.2 will be made available over the 'net.

Anyway....

I am doing a reviews feature on emulators, if you (really) like to play amiga/snes/mame/sgen/etc. games, are able to see past flashy GFX to the gameplay (but GFX/SFX are a part of this obviously), and can write well in english. Then just send me an example of your work.

Although the feature is on emulators, it would be best if you have the original games system as well as an emulator to play games on for review. (i.e. a REAL amiga/snes/etc.)

I am only going to be taking a couple of contributors, so whoever gets the job would need to write many reviews. I have yet to decide on exactly what payments will be (this all depends on how much you do and where you live).

All reviews by all reviewers would need to conform to a set format (so they are easy to read). See my next post for an example of what this could be.

Re: Get paid to review old games!
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2004, 02:23:04 AM »
Introduction:50-200 words.
Set the tone for the article, it's probably best if you write this last. Explain the game plot, (make some bad jokes  :-D ), first impressions.

Gameplay - Main article:200-1k words. 1-5 paragraphs.
You have a lot of freedom with this bit, but you could DO:
-Explain the game controlls (as the reader may not be able to get a manual).
-Explain the objectives (or memorable moments) if it can be done without giving the game away.
-Draw comparisons to other games.
Please DON'T:
-list cheats/codes within the review.
-personal references/humor (i don't want to get sued for defamation).
-use jargon when it can be avoided.

Verdict: Four sections (I will format these into a frame): Uppers, Downers, Gameplay, Overall.
Uppers and downers in point form. No more than two sentences each for Gameplay and Overall. Gameplay and overall will have a 'five star' score system. "Gameplay" is difficulty/enjoyment and "Overall" is lastability & overall presentation.
Some game reviwers are a little soft. My system goes like:

*....=Painful
**...=Pretty {bleep}
***..=Average/Mediocre
****.=Good fun
*****=Classic

Re: F A Q
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2004, 01:09:14 AM »
Get paid to review old games! - FAQ

Q I have a (who cares)Mhz PC with (who cares)Mb RAM and WinXP. I run many emulators but do not have the original system....?
A Your review could be inaccurate as the emulator you use may not quite run the games proper.

Q Before I get busy writing reviews, can you prove that you are actually doing a magazine and not just looking for pix of old games to jack off to?
A @ the moment I can send you some examples of non-computer related articles which would also appear in 'obscene' on request. There will be a URL available in the very near future for information on the magazine. i shall keep you posted.

Q How much do I get paid to review old games?
A Depends on how much you do and where you live. For me to transfer money outside of Australia is nigh on impossible if it's less than $100AUD. I have not decided yet, but I will probably pay between $5-$10 for each review.

Q Please answer my question?
A This *IS* a forum! Ask away, but please don't PMail general queries.

Q I would like to write reviews for you, are you still taking writers on.
A I will post a notification when I've enough writers. Just PMAIL me.

Q What about other articles for your magazine?
A As this is not Amiga related, I have not posted in Amiga.org. I am not paying contributors/columnists as I am paying reviewers. If you still want to contribute anyway, PMAIL me about your article, then I may ask you to email your TEXT FILES ONLY. But it's probably best if you wait until 'obscene' URL is up.

:-) Thankyou to all the people who express interest. :-)