Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: SteamOS  (Read 6173 times)

Description:

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
Re: SteamOS
« Reply #44 from previous page: November 08, 2013, 02:32:25 AM »
I love how people rave about what a great kernel Linux is and completely gloss over the manifold shortcomings in every other aspect of its design. Because, hey, who doesn't have their entire computing needs met by a kernel, right?
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #45 on: November 08, 2013, 02:39:23 AM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;752143
I love how people rave about what a great kernel Linux is and completely gloss over the manifold shortcomings in every other aspect of its design. Because, hey, who doesn't have their entire computing needs met by a kernel, right?

Thank you, sir!
Personally, I'm trying to figure out what genius is responsible for stuffing all that crap in the kernel in the first place when everything except the core services should be outside with the rest of the OS.
But then, maybe they like crash prone design tactics.
I don't now.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline whabang

• Show only replies by whabang
« Reply #46 on: November 08, 2013, 10:43:38 AM »
Linux is a decent alternative because it works, and because it allows "computing" in this glorious age of the media comsumption devices. It has a %&$#?@!%&$#?@!%&$#?@!%&$#?@!load of shortcomings, but so have most operating systems on the market today.

That being said, SteamOS seems more like a gaming-inclined Linux distro bundled with a marketplace.

If it works for Apple anf Google, right? :)
Beating the dead horse since 2002.

Offline Amiga_Nut

• Show only replies by Amiga_Nut
« Reply #47 on: November 08, 2013, 04:59:05 PM »
It's Linux therefore just as boring as OS X, Windows 7/8 or anything else I can download currently in Linux distros like Ubuntu etc.

When someone uses a decent OS as the start point for a 'new' OS please let me know :)

Offline slaapliedje

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by slaapliedje
« Reply #48 on: November 08, 2013, 05:39:18 PM »
@Iggy.

I think the major difference to the users of Linux and *BSDs simply comes down to driver support and manufacturer support.  They both used to be in the same boat, but besides nVidia, I don't know any hardware manufacturers that directly release drivers for the various BSDs.  I don't do much 'real time' processing myself, so haven't really played with the rt kernels myself.  But you could always try adding your talents to it.. you know the whole open source thing.  

I do tend to think that some Linux vs BSD vs Unix things are simply "well, they do it this way, let's do it just a bit differently" like device files.  Also in my testing of various things, I've even noticed that arguments between common commands are different, like tail on a GNU/Linux system is different than on Solaris.

But really, where else would / could SteamOS go from Windows?  It couldn't go to Mac OS, because they are going the same way Microsoft is trying to, having a "Only us!" 'app store'.  Linux gives them the driver support, the ability to put whatever software they want into it, and the ability to distribute it everywhere.  BSD gives them all that, just not the driver support.

All this talk about BSDs though makes me want to give it another shot.  Been awhile since I played around with it.

slaapliedje
A4000D: Mediator 4000Di; Voodoo 3, ZorRAM 128MB, 10/100mb Ethernet, Spider 2. Cyberstorm PPC 060/50 604e/420.

Offline nicholasTopic starter

« Reply #49 on: November 28, 2013, 05:04:39 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;752140
Ralph did a great job of copying the core of an OS that was developed in my country by Commodore across the United States.

That being said, I am pretty sure my dislike of MorphOS is well founded.

In fact, since most of my coding goes back to OS' that have their roots in process control (you know, real time software, something MorphOS has always done pretty poorly), hey, I'd rather be using something like QNX.

Let me explain my opinion on this clearly, Schmidt could never have actually designed have an operating system on his own, and before you correct me, no not even a kernel.

And, if I wanted to use an Amiga knock off, I'd run AROS or OS4.

So, the next time any of you cares to pontificate about the glories of MorphOS, I hope I'm not around. Because as far as I'm concerned, you're all just coasting on the backs of things that were developed and financed in my country during my childhood.

Sorry Jim, I couldn't resist. ;)
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini