Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Did we all just witness Windows start to die?  (Read 10391 times)

Description:

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
Re: Did we all just witness Windows start to die?
« Reply #149 from previous page: July 28, 2013, 11:10:31 PM »
Quote from: persia;742869
Microsoft called the Windows 8 interface "metro" in a couple of press releases over a year and a half ago, it was a code name for the design language they used to make the Windows 8 interface.  It's like calling Windows 7 "Vienna."
They never bandied about beta names like "Chicago" and "Vienna" the way they ballyhooed "Metro." (The closest they got before that was "Longhorn," which only people who cared about Vista pre-release bothered with.) The reason they dropped "Metro" was because a minor lawsuit gave them a good excuse for escaping the fantastically terrible word-of-mouth it'd gotten - only it didn't work, and "Metro" stuck. Just a shame Metro the thing stuck with it... :/
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline psxphill

« Reply #150 on: July 29, 2013, 01:07:12 AM »
Quote from: stefcep2;742799
Are there any real world tests on equally loaded set ups?

Yes. Most benchmarks favour windows 8.

Quote from: commodorejohn;742870
They never bandied about beta names like "Chicago" and "Vienna" the way they ballyhooed "Metro." (The closest they got before that was "Longhorn," which only people who cared about Vista pre-release bothered with.) The reason they dropped "Metro" was because a minor lawsuit gave them a good excuse for escaping the fantastically terrible word-of-mouth it'd gotten - only it didn't work, and "Metro" stuck. Just a shame Metro the thing stuck with it... :/

dwup.inf from windows 8

[version]
signature="$CHICAGO$"

.....later on.....

;Profile for LocalService and NetworkService, moved from Users in Longhorn, creator specifies security

.....later on.....

;Profile for system account - moved from Docs and Settings in Whistler. Creator specifies security.

They are internal names & the only time they really used any of them publicly was in the beta test before the product name was decided.

I don't care about metro as I just don't use it. Which is good because I can't remember what I'm supposed to call it now.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 01:15:33 AM by psxphill »

Offline Aegis

• Show only replies by Aegis
    • http://www.survivorfilms.co.uk
« Reply #151 on: July 29, 2013, 01:18:39 AM »
Quote from: psxphill;742880
I don't care about metro as I just don't use it. Which is good because I can't remember what I'm supposed to call it now.

I'm quite fond of 'TIFKAM' - or as The Register puts it: "The Interface Formerly Known As Metro" :D
Catapultem habeo. Nisi pecuniam amnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.