Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Are A-Eon like the Nintendo of Amiga  (Read 448 times)

Description:

Offline fondpondforeverTopic starter

• Show only replies by fondpondforever
Are A-Eon like the Nintendo of Amiga
« on: November 04, 2015, 02:11:23 PM »
Are A-Eon like the Nintendo of Amiga? By this I mean Nintendo are the triple A leaders in the commercial video game market and A-Eon seem to be doing the same thing in the Amiga Software Development market. :p
Hop, Crackle, Blast Off into Spino Space!

Offline Everblue

• Show only replies by Everblue
Re: Are A-Eon like the Nintendo of Amiga
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2015, 03:02:31 PM »
I don't think Nintendo are anywhere triple A leaders at the moment.

Offline Yasu

• Show only replies by Yasu
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2015, 03:07:53 PM »
I don't understand the question.

Offline pVC

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2015, 04:04:14 PM »
Quote from: Everblue;798729
I don't think Nintendo are anywhere triple A leaders at the moment.

Hmm yeah.. and never was if looking the hardware, but somehow they did sell (which A-Eon doesn't do that much) :)

Think how crap NES was in technical point of view when it was released.. it was released at the same time with A1000 in northern America, and at the same time with A500 in Europe. Amigas were from totally different age and planet technically and I can't understand how such obsoleted piece of crap like Nintendos could get any attraction back then :)
Daily MorphOS user and Amiga active.

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2015, 08:46:22 PM »
Quote from: pVC;798736
Think how crap NES was in technical point of view when it was released.. it was released at the same time with A1000 in northern America, and at the same time with A500 in Europe. Amigas were from totally different age and planet technically and I can't understand how such obsoleted piece of crap like Nintendos could get any attraction back then :)

I remember Compute's Gazette magazine at the time, ran columns every month about how the C64 was better than the NES.  I used to bring them into my school and could quote the articles, verbatim, to try to convince my friends.  Few of them ever listened.  ;)

Ah, good times.  :)
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline BozzerBigD

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2015, 09:31:34 PM »
I can't understand how such obsoleted piece of crap like Nintendos could get any attraction back then :)

It was because of the software. Super Mario Bros. 3 was an amazing achievement on the NES. They pushed the hardware as hard as they could and the Nintendo Seal of Quality gave the customer confidence that the third party games would be up to scratch. Compared to the Atari 2600 days the NES was a breath of fresh air for North America. For Europe however it was pretty much irrelevant with our great home computer market and good home grown software development in the 80s and early 90s. Only once the SNES was released did Nintendo gain traction in the UK market.
"Art challenges technology. Technology inspires the art."

John Lasseter, Co-Founder of Pixar Animation Studios

Offline Yasu

• Show only replies by Yasu
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2015, 09:44:27 PM »
NES had a very good launch title (Mario Bros). That probably became the basis for it's success. C64, not so much.

Offline itix

• Show only replies by itix
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2015, 10:22:25 PM »
NES had also another advantage over C64, it could load a game in few seconds. After all, NES was for gamers and C64 was for hackers ;-)

But disadvantage obviously was limited number of games and genres. You could only afford few games and there werent that much variation or choice.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 10:26:03 PM by itix »
My Amigas: A500, Mac Mini and PowerBook

Offline Fizza

• Show only replies by Fizza
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2015, 11:46:36 PM »
I think the question is worded to mean compare Nintendo, who seem content to be the sole provider of software for their hardware while the rest of the market seems to be oblivious to it, to A-Eon, which, well, I think we understand now.

I think A-Eon may be trying to be a sole-provider for the Amiga but with the intention of drawing more development to the platform, the difference is that with Nintendo, like them or loathe them, they generally make the best truest to form videogames out there, and if you don't believe me, trust that nearly all game developers who are truly gamers will own and play Nintendo games, the problem for third parties when it comes to Nintendo is that the 1st party competition is so stiff, and add to the fact that most gamers would buy more than one console, and usually a Nintendo console for just the 1st party stuff, they (the 3rd Party) developers can ignore the Nintendo market completely, reasonably safe in the knowledge that a gamer who has an Xbox-One or PS4 as well as a WiiU will pick it up on the other system, and therefore they won't have to direct funds to create it for the WiiU. Then the clueless look at Nintendo as irrelevant while the big N still rakes in wads of cash from their sales of first party games that have a huge attachment rate compared to that of the competition.

So, it's a bit early to consider A-Eon and Nintendo in the same way, as Nintendo are raking it in (even while people think that they're doing badly, check the numbers folks), and that part of it A-Eon has yet to establish. The only thing in common being sidelined to different degrees by the 'mainstream'.

Also remember, for the UK folks, the Spectrum was a dismal failure everywhere barring the UK and small segments of Europe, the late 80s Eastern Bloc boom notwithstanding (as good as that was) as I'm talking about commercial success.

Also, the NES was originally released in Japan in 1983, not too shabby hardware for that time. The C64 hardware was better in some ways, but Nintendo designed it from the ground up for the type of games they wanted on there and it did a stellar job. There is a reason that Ultimate/Rare went from the Spectrum to the NES rather than the C64, for which all their releases were contract jobs.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 01:08:50 AM by Fizza »

Offline agami

• Show only replies by agami
    • Twitter
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2015, 12:57:33 AM »
Well, in the way that they insist on using old and outmoded technology then A-Eon are like Nintendo.
- Wii U uses Power Architecture while Xbox One and PS4 have gone to x86-64
- Wii U uses a DVD drive, Xbox One and PS4 use a Blu-Ray drive.
- Wii U uses USB 2.0 and the others use USB 3.0
- Wii U does not have an ethernet port, the others have GbE

Nintendo also has hardware that is not used to its established functional potential:
- No software to play DVD movies from DVD drive
- No software support for pairing standards-based 3rd party Bluetooth accessories

Already I can see the similarities. But to whom are you comparing A-Eon to in the Amiga world? Acube?
---------------AGA Collection---------------
1) Amiga A4000 040 40MHz, Mediator PCI, Voodoo 3 3000, Creative PCI128, Fast Ethernet, Indivision AGA Mk2 CR, DVD/CD-RW, OS 3.9 BB2
2) Amiga A1200 040 25MHz, Indivision AGA Mk2 CR, IDEfix, PCMCIA WiFi, slim slot load DVD/CD-RW, OS 3.9 BB2
3) Amiga CD32 + SX1, OS 3.1

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2015, 06:21:05 AM »
A-Eon isn't a century old yet, when they get that age, then perhaps, yes, certainly! :)
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs