Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Is it me, or do you find booting a game from disk much more 'romantic' than WHDload  (Read 5992 times)

Description:

Offline Franko

• Show only replies by Franko
Quote from: desiv;656224
Yes...
And your point is??  :roflmao:

desiv

There is no point (as usual) I just like stating the bleedin obvious for no apparent reason (it's a bad habit of mine)... ;)

I like ddniUK's idea though... but could it also have random errors and crashes thrown in just to make it real authentic... :)

Offline nikodr

• Show only replies by nikodr
We are human beings,we will only live for 75-80 some 90 or 100 years,since the time we had to load games through tape is long gone,and since we can use our time much better to do something more productive (you can load a game in 2 seconds and use the 5 minutes,to do something worthwhile),there is no need to play kings quest 5 on an amiga that can have harddrive and much ram from 2 floppies disk drives,and swap disks till devil comes and takes over amiga.inc.

I believe whdload solved many of our problems,to load one game that loads fasts and has no need to load again everytime you lose,or play larry 1 or some old games is good,but all decent and recent games on amiga,would not work from floppy well,they didnt on the 90ies why would we want that now?

Offline Franko

Quote from: nikodr;656232
We are human beings,we will only live for 75-80 some 90 or 100 years,since the time we had to load games through tape is long gone,and since we can use our time much better to do something more productive (you can load a game in 2 seconds and use the 5 minutes,to do something worthwhile),there is no need to play kings quest 5 on an amiga that can have harddrive and much ram from 2 floppies disk drives,and swap disks till devil comes and takes over amiga.inc.

I believe whdload solved many of our problems,to load one game that loads fasts and has no need to load again everytime you lose,or play larry 1 or some old games is good,but all decent and recent games on amiga,would not work from floppy well,they didnt on the 90ies why would we want that now?

Wow... where do you live in some parts of Glasgow the average age of death for men is 56, Pollockshaws I think the area was, confirmed by WHO (World Health Organisation) just a few years ago... :(

Where I live if you make it to your 70's you are regarded as one of the ancient ones who must have been around since the dawn of time, the average age of death in my town Livingston is 66... :eek:

Gawd I'm 47 so I aint to much time left awaiting the NatAmi's arrival... :(

Think it's time to spend me life savings on something else while I've still got the chance... ;)

Offline nikodr

• Show only replies by nikodr
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Life_Expectancy_2011_Estimates_CIA_World_Factbook.png

In greece and it is actualy from 77.5 to 80.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life_expectancy

But i think no need to worry,if you exercise dont drink dont smoke and sleep early and have good doctors and with no disk swapping to lose your patience you can easily outperform those expectancy figures :)

Offline Thorham

• Show only replies by Thorham
No, floppies truely suck and I'm extremely happy that I don't have to use them anymore. I don't even have a floppy drive in my A1200, instead I have a floppy terminator :D
We are human beings,we will only live for 75-80 some 90 or 100 years
Speak for yourself, I plan on living forever :D Oh, and don't forget that you can't prove everyone dies :D
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 07:16:18 PM by Thorham »

Offline CritAnime

• Previous Life Time Member
    • Show only replies by CritAnime
I will always prefer loading games from disk than WHD. To me the click from the drive when you insert a floppy is brilliant.

Offline -BobW-

• Show only replies by -BobW-
I once started loading a c64 game from floppy on my c128.  The idea was to show the kids how much fun it was.

By the time the game loaded they were nowhere to be found.

I really don't miss floppies at all...
Amiga 500 GVP A530 Accel + SCSI2SD + 8 MB RAM and OS 2.04
Amiga 1200 GVP \\\'030 Accel + 32 MB RAM and OS 3.9 BB3
Amiga 4000 Cybervision 64/3D Mk-II + Warp Engine 4040 128 MB RAM and OS 3.9 BB3
Micro A1 866 Mhz and AmigaOS 4.1
PowerMac G4 1.4 Ghz and MorphOS 3.9
Mac Mini G4 1.5 Ghz and MorphOS 3.9

Offline desiv

• Show only replies by desiv
...and since we can use our time much better to do something more productive
2 points..  
1:  You don't HAVE to do nothing while it's loading..
2:  Doing something productive....  in the context of loading a game???
3:  (I know, I said 2; I lied)..  Why be productive all the time?

Hmmm

:-)

desiv
Amiga 1200 w/ ACA1230/28 - 4G CF, MAS Player, ext floppy, and 1084S.
Amiga 500 w/ 2M CHIP and 8M FAST RAM, DCTV, AEHD floppy, and 1084S.
Amiga 1000 w/ 4M FAST RAM, DUAL CF hard drives, external floppy.

Offline spihunter

• Show only replies by spihunter
I like to stare at construction equipment in my spare time........

Offline desiv

• Show only replies by desiv
Let's take this one along the path, for those who like the Amiga as a retro platform.

I like this game, but it's slow to load.  Let's put it on a HD.
I like this game, but the graphics could be better, lets add colors and increase the resolution.
I like this game, but the sounds could be better, more channels and higher bitrates.
I like this game, but it could be faster, lets put it on a faster machine..
I like this game, but having a changing camera perspective would be great, lets use an FPS engine..

Hey, this looks like every other PC game nowadays, I wish I had my old Amiga.

;-)

desiv
Amiga 1200 w/ ACA1230/28 - 4G CF, MAS Player, ext floppy, and 1084S.
Amiga 500 w/ 2M CHIP and 8M FAST RAM, DCTV, AEHD floppy, and 1084S.
Amiga 1000 w/ 4M FAST RAM, DUAL CF hard drives, external floppy.

Offline Thorham

Quote from: desiv;656243
Hey, this looks like every other PC game nowadays, I wish I had my old Amiga.
I do, and floppies still suck :p
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 09:26:47 PM by Thorham »

Offline Franko

Quote from: nikodr;656234
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Life_Expectancy_2011_Estimates_CIA_World_Factbook.png

In greece and it is actualy from 77.5 to 80.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life_expectancy

But i think no need to worry,if you exercise dont drink dont smoke and sleep early and have good doctors and with no disk swapping to lose your patience you can easily outperform those expectancy figures :)

That wiki page is waaaaaay off the mark as far as Scotland goes... 80+ my aunties behind... :rolleyes:

I'll bet they got their numbers from the south of England to come up with that... ;)

Most folk I know (or did know rather) kick the bucket at around 56 to 58 if they were heavy drinkers and about 66 to 68 if they didn't drink and retired aged 65... :)

According to my doctors I should have been dead a looooong time ago but I hang around just to prove them wrong... :)

I don't drink but I do smoke at least 40 a day, never exercise, live on a typical Scottish healthy diet of super greasy soaked food, fish & chips, deep fried pizzas & mars bars, curries (Vindalloo) and pleny of sweets, crisps and fizzy juice... and I'm consistent 9 Stone 12 pounds... :)

The lack of exercise can be attributed mainly to WHDLoad & the SD card thingy for my C64... Simple reason being they load so quickly that I don't have the time to reach for a packet of fags to have smoke while waiting for stuff to load... :)

WHDLoad should carry a government health warning... :)

PS: I once saw a vegetable... at least I think it was a vegetable, could a have been a wee green alien instead... :)

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
Compared to waiting for cassette tape based games to load, floppy disk was awesome.
int p; // A

Offline Thorham

Quote from: Franko;656245
PS: I once saw a vegetable... at least I think it was a vegetable, could a have been a wee green alien instead... :)
Vegetables are good, eat your vegetables :)

Offline paul1981

Quote from: Franko;656217

It's the same with my C64s, tapes... nah... wait 15 minutes for a game to load only for the tape to continue going and a blank screen or a blinking curser with "LOAD ERROR: flashing away at you.

What do you mean?  Waiting for a C64 game to load is probably the best part of the game... :laughing:

Offline DonutKing

• Show only replies by DonutKing
Re: Is it me, or do you find booting a game from disk much more 'romantic' than WHDlo
« Reply #29 from previous page: August 26, 2011, 10:21:59 PM »
Fiddling around with floppies or other media is just part of the experience of any retro computer :)

At least, if you have the originals. If you're just downloading from the internet then floppies are a pain in the arse. :)