Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Indivision ECS - Pulling my hair out  (Read 14726 times)

Description:

Offline nscaleworld

• Show only replies by nscaleworld
Re: Indivision ECS - Pulling my hair out
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2012, 03:03:53 PM »
It is too pricey, so, I will not buy it. I do not support greedy people. I worked in the electronics industry for many years, there is no reason for this board to cost more then $59.95, accept maybe greed. And to be frank, even $59.95 seems a bit high to me for what this is.

REMEMBER:  Greed was the main reason why Commodore went out of business in the first place.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 03:07:02 PM by nscaleworld »
Amiga 500 (like new in box) , Amiga 2000 (like new in box) , Amiga 2500 (like new in box) , Amiga 3000T (like new) , 2 - Amiga 500 Towers , AmigaOne with OS 4.1

Offline nscaleworld

• Show only replies by nscaleworld
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2012, 03:14:29 PM »
Anyway, back on topic, try testing the board with the shield back on. What I saw in the YouTube video is "noise" or interference. Make sure that the Denise socket is a high quality "double-contact" socket. Many Amiga 500 computers I repaired had low quality sockets that had to be replaced. DO NOT use "machined" sockets. These are for special purposes. Make sure the grounding wire is soldered correctly.
Amiga 500 (like new in box) , Amiga 2000 (like new in box) , Amiga 2500 (like new in box) , Amiga 3000T (like new) , 2 - Amiga 500 Towers , AmigaOne with OS 4.1

Offline som99

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by som99
    • http://www.som99.se
« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2012, 03:35:34 PM »
Quote from: nscaleworld;704788
It is too pricey, so, I will not buy it. I do not support greedy people. I worked in the electronics industry for many years, there is no reason for this board to cost more then $59.95, accept maybe greed. And to be frank, even $59.95 seems a bit high to me for what this is.

REMEMBER:  Greed was the main reason why Commodore went out of business in the first place.

Don't buy one then, as simple as that.
It's easy to talk but you just make yourself looking as a fool, the small productions and the parts used when making Amiga hardware makes it expensive, if you have ever been involved in small production runs you know no matter what hardware is used it will cost a lot.
You say you have been in the "electronics industry" doing what? Lightbulbs or mopping floors?
No point arguing with people like you, you think you know how things work an sit on your high horse and say ive been doing this and that and nothing to show for it.

Even if the indi ecs would cost 50$ to make I still would have no problem paying an extra 50$ for the work and effort been put into it.

Go and design your own hardware and manufacture it then come talking.

Offline danbeaver

« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2012, 07:18:19 PM »
Ignorance is neither a crime nor a defect of character; arrogance is an excellent example of the latter

Offline paul1981

« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2012, 07:27:37 PM »
Could it be dirty mains? Either on the A500, monitor or both? Do you have any interference in your vacinity that you know of?
Is there any way you could test your kit somewhere else? Like at a friends house?

If you've tried a different motherboard, different monitor, and AmigaKit says the Indi is okay, then there's a good chance it is.

How about your monitor cable? Could you try a different one? Or have you already?

Offline LurchTopic starter

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Lurch
« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2012, 07:58:04 PM »
@ paul1981 - Have tried a higher quality VGA cable that we use at work. Same deal, it does look like noise of some sort.

I have the Indi earthed to the A500 as per the picture in the brief manual that came with it. It clicks into the socket fine.

Will try replacing the power cords for the monitor and ATX PSU next.

Could it be the power board it's plugged into, which would be weird because it works fine with an S-video adapter and I use it for other computers.
-=[LurcH]=-
A500 Plus Black 030@40MHz 128MB | A1200T 060@80MHz 320MB | Pegasos II G4@1GHz 1GB  | Amiga Future Sub

Offline danbeaver

« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2012, 08:00:52 PM »
I'm sorry, I've read your posts/thread and did you say you have tried the Indivision ECS Configuration tool?  I found it on Jen's site by Googling the "Indivision ECS Configuration tool." I believe it can adjust the pixel clock to match the monitors.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 08:05:49 PM by danbeaver »

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2012, 08:09:39 PM »
Only noise I can think of nearby is a wireless router and my partners computer, but they're plugged in on a different circuit.
-=[LurcH]=-
A500 Plus Black 030@40MHz 128MB | A1200T 060@80MHz 320MB | Pegasos II G4@1GHz 1GB  | Amiga Future Sub

Offline paul1981

« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2012, 08:11:34 PM »
Could you try your kit in another room and without the plug board? Or try a different plugboard. If same, I'd take it along to a friends house and hook it up to his/her monitor and see how that goes. If it works at your friends, then there could be mains or RF interference at play in your house.
Have to admit, it seems unlikely, but I don't know what else to suggest.

Offline danbeaver

« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2012, 08:49:34 PM »
Well, since the config tool was no help, have you tried to contact Jens?  You can email him at:

http://amiga.think42.com/email/email_e.htm

From what I hear he is a "good guy" about this stuff.

Offline AmmoJammo

• Show only replies by AmmoJammo
« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2012, 10:29:52 PM »
Quote from: outlawal2;704787
I don't even know why I frequent this forum anymore...

so go away then?

problem solved.

I couldn't possibly justify the cost of one of these, and I've wasted a lot of money on useless crap over the years! :crazy:

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2012, 11:25:48 PM »
@ Paul1981 - Will try it, it's puzzling wouldn't think it would have such tight requirements. More updates tonight when I get home :-)

@ danbeaver - Amigakit are dealing with Jen's, so have left them to that.

Stay tuned, same bat channel same bat time ;-)

@ammojammo - It is an impressive bit of kit, but yeah I cringed at the price. Took me awhile to save almost thought I had missed out. And it is starting again for the ACA500/ACA1220 ;-)

Anyway doesn't take long for someone to pollute a discussion on here of late. EAB seems to be the new amiga.org. But somehow still seem to be loyal to here.
-=[LurcH]=-

Offline danbeaver

Sorry, I was trying to help; maybe you guys should pm instead
« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2012, 01:10:32 AM »
DB.

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2012, 07:35:54 AM »
All good appreciate every ones input.

Anyway, different plug on the wall, different power cords, different power board, same issue :-)

The A500 is back together, lid on still does it. Go back to my s-video adapter and it's fine, a shame as it's much better picture quality with the indi (apart from the wobbling about and screen tear ;-)).

Anyway that's enough for now going to go do something else and come back to it.
-=[LurcH]=-

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2012, 08:59:21 AM »
Interesting read

http://www.amibay.com/showthread.php?t=31249

http://www.amibay.com/showthread.php?t=32216

Will assume this is the fix they did but I still get the same result as before. So thinking it's still the Indivsion ECS.
-=[LurcH]=-

Offline F0LLETT

• Amigakit / A-EON Support
  • Administrator
    • Show only replies by F0LLETT
    • Ultimate Amiga
« Reply #44 from previous page: August 24, 2012, 12:19:48 PM »
Have you tried the new ECS config tool which is available from Individual Computers web site.
If your current tool shows no indivision, then its the old version that doesnt work with the new batch of ECS Indivisions.

Quote from: Lurch;704919
Interesting read

http://www.amibay.com/showthread.php?t=31249

http://www.amibay.com/showthread.php?t=32216

Will assume this is the fix they did but I still get the same result as before. So thinking it's still the Indivsion ECS.

Thats correct.
As I said its very odd, as I was seeing your issue. I then applied mod and then it was perfect.

I have done the same mod to about 10 Indivisions so far. You are the only one that has said your still having issues.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 12:25:53 PM by F0LLETT »
Quote from: Hungry Horace
Resolute and Industrious Grand ruler of the yellow people and the Ultimate Amiga Empire
Ultimate Amiga Network (Home of SONY PSP Amiga Emulator and AMOS Factory)

Quote from:  He who shall not be named
"Chris is that you!!!"
My all time favorite quote.