Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: My first impressions of the Pegasos II (review) - UPDATE!  (Read 10556 times)

Description:

Offline GGS

• Show only replies by GGS
    • http://www.ggsdata.se
Re: My first impressions of the Pegasos II (review)
« Reply #29 from previous page: January 08, 2004, 12:31:18 AM »
Hi takemehomegrandma

#

I believe I read posts from someone other that does not have these problems too. Perhaps it has to do with the models of IDE devices being used or surch? Mine is a seagate barracuda hard drive and a lite-on DVD player.

-----

Dont take the below as exactly info, but just what I feel myself about it.

Usually we supply machines with Hitachi harddrives, but you wanted a Seagate, because its more quiet, and it is. And some people like Seagate better because of this, you are not the only one :-).

But I feel also that Seagate-drives more often fails by coldboot (not showing up), then Hitachi, and needs a reset before showing up. This might also change when connected together with other different devices. I have no good solution on it, just that it might vary depending on configuration. So it might change if changing some else device you also have connected.

Nice review by the way.

Have a good time !

Mvh
Gunne

Offline Argo

• Show only replies by Argo
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2004, 03:17:54 AM »
Bloodline;
   Your just a glutton for punishment.

Offline Damion

« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2004, 05:29:43 AM »

I believe I read posts from someone other that does not have
these problems too. Perhaps it has to do with the models of IDE
devices being used or surch? Mine is a seagate barracuda hard drive
and a lite-on DVD player.

That sounds likely.

Or are you talking about probing/initializing hardware once on
cold boot, and then re-use that when reseting the computer?

Exactly! :-)

Offline Damion

« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2004, 06:00:20 AM »

Funny, from his review it wouldn't pass my "Parents" test. Thus not ready for
prime time. Of course, Windows 98 didn't pass either and forget Linux. XP pass
with a satifactory grade. It's a hard test.

Argo I agree 100%.

Offline Fot

• Show only replies by Fot
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2004, 09:37:29 AM »
But I feel also that Seagate-drives more often fails by coldboot (not showing up), then Hitachi, and needs a reset before showing up. This might also change when connected together with other different devices. I have no good solution on it, just that it might vary depending on configuration. So it might change if changing some else device you also have connected.

It sounds like the Peg2 is probing the IDE channels before the Seagate drive starts up . Most current PC BIOS'es allow the user to configure a boot delay in seconds for this specific reason.

Offline Casper

• Show only replies by Casper
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2004, 09:41:44 AM »
On Gigabyte’s Dual BIOS X86 motherboards; the BIOS flash software is built-in into the Dual BIOS, thus a clean boot disk is no longer required with this line of X86 motherboards.

My AOpen AK79G motherboard works in a similar way. No need for a boot disk, you just double click on one exe file in windows and it will upload the new BIOS to a separate memory area in the BIOS chip, does a CRC check on it and then it reboots itself and copies the BIOS from the separate memory area to the main BIOS flash area before it does anyhing else.

You can even access the BIOS settings from within Windows with this motherboard (you see the familiar BIOS screen in a window).

Offline smithy

• Show only replies by smithy
« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2004, 11:11:02 AM »
Thanks for that review Takemehome, I'm looking forward to getting my Peg2 shortly too!

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2004, 11:39:24 AM »

Argo wrote:
Bloodline;
   Your just a glutton for punishment.

hehehe :-)

I'm sure they can figure out how to set up a C compiler and... ;-)

Offline takemehomegrandmaTopic starter

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2004, 02:37:59 PM »
@ Gunne (and others)

Perhaps the seagate drive needs an exceptional amount of time to get ready when coldbooting, I don't know. But I have also tested without the hard drive at all (just the DVD), and also with a maxtor drive. No difference. Anyway, this is said to be a known issue, and a fix is on its way.
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

Offline GGS

• Show only replies by GGS
    • http://www.ggsdata.se
« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2004, 02:51:15 PM »
I suppose you have ATA100/133 cable ? Shouldn't work at all if not.

Blue connector to motherboard, black to master, grey to slave.

« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2004, 06:18:06 PM »

GGS wrote:
I suppose you have ATA100/133 cable ? Shouldn't work at all if not.

Blue connector to motherboard, black to master, grey to slave.

Absolutely. I have also tried several different cables, all which I know works on other computers. Everything is connected correctly, and all jumpers are correctly set.

I don't really mind pushing the reset button for now, until the fixed firmware arrives. But I am more worried about the fact that MorphOS freezes randomly when booting, just after displaying the Quark/OpenFirmware text, because I have not heard anyone with that same problem. That makes me think that there might be something wrong with my system. But I will wait to the next OS and firmware release before I do anything about it.

Offline Hammer

• Show only replies by Hammer
« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2004, 11:22:25 PM »

Casper wrote:
On Gigabyte’s Dual BIOS X86 motherboards; the BIOS flash software is built-in into the Dual BIOS, thus a clean boot disk is no longer required with this line of X86 motherboards.

My AOpen AK79G motherboard works in a similar way. No need for a boot disk, you just double click on one exe file in windows and it will upload the new BIOS to a separate memory area in the BIOS chip, does a CRC check on it and then it reboots itself and copies the BIOS from the separate memory area to the main BIOS flash area before it does anyhing else.

Your references;
http://english.aopen.com.tw/tech/techinside/DieHardBIOSLite.htm
http://english.aopen.com.tw/tech/techinside/DieHardBIOSII.htm
(Depending on AOpen motherboard model)

AOpen's 'DieHard BIOS II' is similar Gigabyte’s Dual BIOS in relation to its core functionality.  There’s a minor difference between AOpen’s ‘Die Hard II’ BIOS vs GigaByte’s “Dual BIOS” i.e. mostly on BIOS's GUI and the way you switch between BIOS versions.
Gigabtye's Dual BIOS has integrated the 'BIOS flash software'  within the BIOS itself.

Most modern X86 motherboards has Windows BIOS flash access i.e. ASUS (e.g. A7N8X series), Gigabyte (e.g. GA-7N400 series, GA-7NNXP, GA-8NNXP) and ‘etc’.

Comparing nForce2/nForce3 motherboards can be a boring exercise due to the competitive nature of the market (AMD motherboard market).  

References;
http://tw.giga-byte.com/MotherBoard/FileList/NewTech/tech_dualbios_setup.pdf
(Gigabyte's Dual BIOS).

You can even access the BIOS settings from within Windows with this motherboard (you see the familiar BIOS screen in a window).

For supported nForce2/nForce3 motherboards, BIOS settings (e.g. memory controller timings, FSB, AGP and ‘etc’) can be change from NVIDIA’s “System Utility” (free download).  GUI is typically NVIDIA i.e. titanium look.
Amiga 1200 PiStorm32-Emu68-RPI 4B 4GB.
Ryzen 9 7900X, DDR5-6000 64 GB, RTX 4080 16 GB PC.

« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2004, 09:16:48 PM »

GGS wrote:
Hi takemehomegrandma

#

I believe I read posts from someone other that does not have these problems too. Perhaps it has to do with the models of IDE devices being used or surch? Mine is a seagate barracuda hard drive and a lite-on DVD player.

-----

Dont take the below as exactly info, but just what I feel myself about it.

Usually we supply machines with Hitachi harddrives, but you wanted a Seagate, because its more quiet, and it is. And some people like Seagate better because of this, you are not the only one :-).

Nice review by the way.

Have a good time !

Mvh
Gunne

I just wanted to tell you all (and also to "BUMP" up this thread after the update :-P) that I have two different kinds of Seagate Barracuda drives, and both are working absolutely perfect with the Pegasos. No problems! They are the most silent drives I have come across, and they are my favourite because of that reason! If you are building a *silent* computer you should definitely consider these drives IMHO ...

:-)

Re: My first impressions of the Pegasos II (review) - UPDATE!
« Reply #42 on: March 07, 2004, 09:22:53 PM »
Hmm, I forgot about the "backwards" viewing order in the new Xoops version (I made the update as an edit to the first post, the actual review), but here it is also:

[color=FF0000]UPDATE[/color][/b]
2004-03-07

It turned out that I was right when not doubting Genesi about the "catching up" with things in my last sentences above! :-). In late February Genesi made another production run of the Pegasos (earlier than expected), and those are now (or will soon be) available at dealers. I received my latest Pegasos (actually my fourth in order :-o) from GGS Data last Tuesday. I ordered a G3 this time. In addition to that, MorphOS "1.4.2" was released this other day.

Let's start with the G4 CPU processor card. I wrote in the review that the noise from the fan was not too disturbing, but after using it for a while I changed my mind about this and made some changes. As I said, I myself ordered a G3 this time, but Gunne Steen from GGS Data has posted this image of the new cooling solution on Pegasos G4 cards …

… and reports that the noise level from these compares to a whisper. He also say that it's now possible to switch between the G3 and G4 CPU cards. A big improvement in other words, and certainly good news! :-) The 1GHz G4 speed is certainly welcome at my home, as long as it’s silent. On the G3 cards there is still a completely passive cooler (a nice aluminium colour one).

The firmware in the Pegasos has been updated to v1.1 (from 2004-02-24), and some differences are easily spotted. First, that annoying bug that made it necessary to reset the computer the first thing you did after cold boot to be able to access your IDE devices is now removed :-). In other words, it’s just to power up and play now!

I mentioned in the review that I randomly couldn’t boot MorphOS. For some reason that problem went away when I put both the HDD and the DVD as masters on their own respective IDE channels. On my updated Pegasos motherboard I have no problem in using the DVD and HDD on the same channel. I can also now use a DVD-ROM drive that previously didn’t work. It seems to me that some improvements has been made in peripheral tolerance! :-)

If you type the printenv command you will see some new variables as well. I haven’t researched this a lot, but it seems like it's possible to boot from networks.

A lot has happened on the OS front as well. Several Linux distributions are now available, and so is OpenBSD. A minor update of MorphOS with some (not so "minor" IMHO) bugfixes has also been released. The changes are:

- The IDE lockup bug in MorphOS has been fixed. :-)
- Real Time Clock load and save problems on Pegasos 2 have been fixed.
- The system clock no longer drifts on Pegasos 2.
- The Exec MEMF_REVERSE memory fragmentation bug has been fixed.

Needless to say, these fixes were very much welcome! Now we are waiting for MorphOS1.5 which is supposed to be a major update, including a PPC MorphOS native TCP/IP stack, Altivec, 3D for radeon 7xxx, etc.

To sum things up:

None of the “aber’s” I wrote in my review above remains now. According to my experiences, everything now works fully as expected right from the start, without any need for fiddling and workarounds. The Pegasos now also feels more tolerant to hardware peripherals, but I have not measured this “scientifically” in any way, it’s only my feelings based on my experiences.

The stability is excellent! I would now for the first time dare to claim that the Pegasos II with MorphOS is running more stable than *any* Amiga I have *ever* used. And it flies! :-D

In the review above I insinuated that the Christmas release of Pegasos II might have been a bit pre-mature. But that certainly is not the case anymore. In my opinion, the Pegasos II is definitely ready to hit the streets in the “real world” in this condition. I can whole heartedly recommend this to everyone! :-)

Offline angrybrit

• Show only replies by angrybrit
« Reply #43 on: March 07, 2004, 09:44:54 PM »
Very good takemehomegrandma!!!

If I'd get a G4 Pegasus, it would probably to replace the aging P233MMX (mobo is dying) that's currently serving (FTP, eMule, Torrent Tracker, etc...) the whole house.  And replace the Internet Gateway (router) duties (DHCP, uPnP, NAT, etc...) has well.

« Reply #44 on: March 07, 2004, 10:08:17 PM »
@ angrybrit

That's about what I plan to use my newly aquired Peg2 for too! :-)

I forgot to mention that there still are no driver for the gigabit ethernet in MorphOS (the latest updates has been bugfix updates). I have not yet tried Linux at Pegasos II at all, so I can not answer if it's supported there yet. Perhaps someone else can tell?

(It really *should* be there in Linux; isn't Linux what most OEM manufacturer's choose to support for their products? There should be Linux support from Marvell themselves ...?)