Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Deneb VS Spider II USB Card  (Read 12194 times)

Description:

Offline nicholas

Re: Deneb VS Spider II USB Card
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2011, 08:26:58 PM »
Quote from: platon42;634926
Undenied. But that's not what I quoted.

I see.  Thanks for clarifying Chris.

edit:

You mean how do I know the Deneb creators haven't ripped you off.

I don't. :)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 08:30:11 PM by nicholas »
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline Xanxi

• Show only replies by Xanxi
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2011, 09:30:19 PM »
It would be great, after all those years, that someone find a solution to this Elbox problem and that we simply can use those Spiders. I own one for about 5 years (i have sc**** by an amiga professional dealer that sold it to me while i was unaware of the situation).
We are so few of us left that it is just a pity.
I confirm that the Deneb is awesome, but how could i fit one in my Mediator A1200T? I can also confirm that Subway is a poor board compared to a Deneb and probably to the Spider too.
10 Classic Amiga Computers so far: I have too many computers!!

Offline Darrin

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Darrin
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2011, 11:27:23 PM »
Quote from: platon42;634926
Undenied. But that's not what I quoted.

I hoped that once your stack was being sold with the actual hardware that there was no way you couldn't get paid.  That's a shame as Poseidon is worth every penny.  I couldn't imagine using an Amiga without it now.
A2000, A3000, 2 x A1200T, A1200, A4000Tower & Mediator, CD32, VIC-20, C64, C128, C128D, PET 8032, Minimig & ARM, C-One, FPGA Arcade... and AmigaOne X1000.

Offline Robert17

• Show only replies by Robert17
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2011, 11:46:45 PM »
I second that Darrin,

Poseidon is a brilliant piece of software, I own a Subway and a Deneb. Chris Hodges is one of the few remaining Amiga software developers that can still deliver a quality product. I hope he is getting paid for his work, and if he isn't - Aside from asking why not, I'd be happy to donate some money, as I'm sure many others would - as we don't want yet another amiga developer to call it quits.

Robert.
Member of the Lincs Amiga Group, UK :-)

Offline mechy

« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2011, 12:29:10 AM »
Quote from: amiga1084;634837
Hello All,
In my spare A4000T I have a Mediator PCI Busboard and wanting to get a fast USB 2 speed card for my Amiga. As I alrealy have a Mediator I was thinking the Spider II USB card would sute all my needs. But I hear good reviews on the Deneb card and nothing on the Spider card. If you used either card I would really like to hear from you.

Thanks in advance,
Merv Stent

I use a deneb near daily in my 4000T/PPC/mediator setup, its worth its weight in gold. I get great speed from the transcend dma card readers on the 4000(for those of you using cheap,junk china card readers,get a good one,speed is night and day).
deneb also allows the use of USB mice,keyboards,ethernet dongles,etc.
If i had a complaint it would only be the pigtail cable supplied for the usb ports is too short for some tower machines.Other than that it runs flawless! being able to put the rom and patches in the flash is also a handy thing. one of the best investments ever.

Offline Damion

« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2011, 04:24:26 AM »
Quote from: platon42;634922
Somebody else recently posted a TCPSpeed result of over 1.2MB/sec with an USB 2.0 100MBit/s adapter, which AFAIK is unmatched by any other networking solution.

Nearly 1.6MB/s here. :drink:

Offline Xanxi

« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2011, 11:22:15 AM »
I'm happy to see Chris Hodges in this thread.
Chris, will you ever be willing to do something for us, poor Spider owners? :)
For Christmas perhaps? ;)

Offline Bamiga2002

• Show only replies by Bamiga2002
    • http://rutinskiband.net
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2011, 12:05:20 PM »
Quote from: Xanxi;635058
I wouldn't hold my breath for this ;)
CD32
A500

Offline Gilloo

• Show only replies by Gilloo
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2011, 12:53:28 PM »
Quote from: Xanxi;634955
I can also confirm that Subway is a poor board compared to a Deneb and probably to the Spider too.

No, you can't write that Subway is a lame device and can't compare Subway to another device!

Subway is a solid and compact usb solution for Amiga via the clockport.

(FYI, Spider is a PCI card and Deneb is a ZorroII/III card)

Offline Xanxi

« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2011, 01:27:48 PM »
Quote from: Gilloo;635071
No, you can't write that Subway is a lame device and can't compare Subway to another device!

Subway is a solid and compact usb solution for Amiga via the clockport.

(FYI, Spider is a PCI card and Deneb is a ZorroII/III card)

Hi Gilloo :)

Yes the Subway is a good solution for the clockport but unfortunately it is slow and i still have power trouble with it even with a powered hub. When someone has used the Deneb, it's hard to only have a Subway in its flagship A1200.

Offline lost_loven

• Show only replies by lost_loven
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2011, 01:56:50 PM »
Has anyone tried a bluetooth adapter to network with the Deneb? Reason being you can get them next for nothing on fleebay and I am thinking of getting a Deneb next month and looking for a good networking solution.. That or a usb lan adapter.. Not looking to do anything to intense ..

lost
A3000D 2 meg chip, 4 meg fast,128 meg zorram! 16 gig scsi2sd, 3.1 ROM, A3640, Indivision ECS, X-surf-100. Rapid Road usb, Amd scsi chip, Buster11. FTP service now with my Ethernet WD2TB Live Book, haha love it !
hp lappy.

http://www.youtube.com/user/lost666loven?feature=mhum

Offline Gulliver

« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2011, 02:02:07 PM »
Quote from: Xanxi;635079
Hi Gilloo :)

Yes the Subway is a good solution for the clockport but unfortunately it is slow and i still have power trouble with it even with a powered hub. When someone has used the Deneb, it's hard to only have a Subway in its flagship A1200.

I will have to agree on this: the subway is too slow, even in Amiga terms. The only good part of the subway, is its software...

And I am not mentioning the lack of USB 2.0 highspeed mode and the power issues.

I still think an A1200 deserves a better USB solution than the subway. The Deneb is a great solution and the spider PCI card is still miles faster than a subway anyway.

Offline platon42

• Show only replies by platon42
    • http://www.platon42.de/
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2011, 06:01:59 PM »
Quote from: Xanxi;635058
I'm happy to see Chris Hodges in this thread.

Poseidon V4.4, available since February last year, has no longer any keyfile protection or similar code in it. If you want to use it with the spider.device, I'm not stopping you from. If it doesn't work due to bugs in the spider.device, you should contact Elbox for an updated driver. Apart from removing the "compatibility hack" in the V4.x versions (which simply did not send the reset command to the driver at start), I do not see any reasons why it shouldn't work.

You won't get "proper" USB 2.0 support though (regarding split transfers and such), but rather the way it was in Poseidon V2.x/V3.x, because as far as I know Elbox has not updated their driver in that direction. The docs how to do this are in the AROS repository.

This is as far as my support for the Spider gets.
--
Regards, Chris Hodges )-> http://www.platon42.de <-(
hackerkey://v4sw7CJS$hw6/7ln6pr7+8AOP$ck0ma8u2LMw1/4Xm5l3i5TJCOTextPad/e7t2BDMNb7GHLen5a34s5IMr1g3/5ACM

Offline platon42

« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2011, 06:05:24 PM »
Quote from: lost_loven;635088
Has anyone tried a bluetooth adapter to network with the Deneb? Reason being you can get them next for nothing on fleebay and I am thinking of getting a Deneb next month and looking for a good networking solution.. That or a usb lan adapter.. Not looking to do anything to intense ..

lost

There is no Bluetooth stack. The HCI interface, that the bluetooth.class provides will not be enough for you to PAN etc.

I would recommend a USB 2.0 LAN adapter, best with ASIX chipset (search the forum for recommendations).
--
hackerkey://v4sw7CJS$hw6/7ln6pr7+8AOP$ck0ma8u2LMw1/4Xm5l3i5TJCOTextPad/e7t2BDMNb7GHLen5a34s5IMr1g3/5ACM

Offline platon42

« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2011, 06:11:35 PM »
Quote from: Gulliver;635089
I will have to agree on this: the subway is too slow, even in Amiga terms. The only good part of the subway, is its software...

Note that the Subway is especially slowed down by waitstates on the clockport. It could go much faster. It is nearly up to par with the Highway on a Zorro clockport. If somebody would wire the _NET_CS (not on the clockport) to the _SPARE_CS, I guess the transfer would be the same as on a Zorro clockport.

Then again, the speed is amazing in spite of the clockport being only a 4 bit address bus and 8 bit data bus :-D
--

Offline HammerD

« Reply #29 from previous page: May 03, 2011, 06:17:36 PM »
Quote from: platon42;635145
Poseidon V4.4, available since February last year, has no longer any keyfile protection or similar code in it. If you want to use it with the spider.device, I'm not stopping you from. If it doesn't work due to bugs in the spider.device, you should contact Elbox for an updated driver. Apart from removing the "compatibility hack" in the V4.x versions (which simply did not send the reset command to the driver at start), I do not see any reasons why it shouldn't work.

You won't get "proper" USB 2.0 support though (regarding split transfers and such), but rather the way it was in Poseidon V2.x/V3.x, because as far as I know Elbox has not updated their driver in that direction. The docs how to do this are in the AROS repository.

This is as far as my support for the Spider gets.

How about the ArakAttack driver for amithlon? I purchased that driver, although it was for poseidon 3.x i believe.  Have to see if it would work with poseidon 4.x on my amithlon system.
AmigaOS 4.x Beta Tester - Classic Amiga enthusiast - http://www.hd-zone.com is my Amiga Blog, check it out!