Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Buying an A4000T? Things to look for.  (Read 12062 times)

Description:

Offline Erol

Re: Buying an A4000T? Things to look for.
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2006, 07:41:54 PM »
Mine doesn't have the floppy convertor as later revision of the disk module supported 880K and 1.76MB floppy drives.

I was told by Amiga that i have the last revision made of the Amiga A4000T,  it has a high density drive fitted (Sony with Amiga Technologies sticker on it). It came with a spare disk module one fitted and one located in a box.

I brought mine brand new after selling my A3000T.
I must say your post was very detailed must have taken you a while to add all that information.

I noticed your coin battery has been removed or not present.

It's worth mentioning that Workbench 3.1 came with extra manuals for the A4000T & Workbench 3.1 disks which has the extra files required for the A4000T  i.e workbench.library.

I also have spare blanking plates,drive rails, tower case feet and cpu riser pins.

They are certainly nice machines!

Offline X-rayTopic starter

• Show only replies by X-ray
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2006, 09:09:03 PM »
@ Erol

Could you please post pics of both your disk modules, so that I can compare them to mine. See mine here:

http://www.amiga.org/gallery/index.php?n=1674

It is a revision 1 module. When I bought a spare from Vesalia, it was also a revision 1 but came without a backplane.

Offline Erol

« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2006, 10:14:00 PM »
@X-Ray

Sure, give me a few weeks as im on holiday next week.

Offline amesie2

• Show only replies by amesie2
    • http://www.amiga.org
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2006, 12:49:43 PM »
I am new to this site and hopefully someone can help me with a couple of things.

My dad and I purchased 3 A4000T's without any manuals or the correct 3.1 software. In correct I mean we have 3.1 software that we purchased years ago for a 2000 but it will not load and I find from above that there are differences in the 4000T software.

Is there anywhere I can purchase the correct 3.1 software and hopefully get the manuals for the 4000T? any help would be great. I would need the English manuals.

The 3 4000T's we purchased work well 2 of them are from the 1996 era and the one I purchased is from 1998 (Quickpak model) with a Cyberstorm MKIII 060 board in it which is pretty fast.

Again any help with software and manuals would be appreciated.

Offline Erol

« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2006, 04:45:49 PM »
Get yourself OS3.9, it has 3.1 on the cd as well.
Then you'll be up and running.

« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2006, 08:11:21 PM »
And now the odds and ends

Well, the keyboard and mouse are not really odds and ends, but you aren't going to hang yourself if you don't get the original keyboard and mouse. Here they are:

The keyboard just says 'Amiga.' It has the large connector, which means if you buy a spare keyboard for the A4KT and you don't have a converter, you should just buy an A2000 keyboard. Of course if you got all the things that I got with my A4KT, you will have a converter already.

Above you can see the Amiga RGB to PC VGA converter. This is not a scandoubler or flicker fixer, you still have to choose a 31kHz mode that the VGA monitor can use. In the middle you can see the keyboard converter (if you want to use an A4000D keyboard on your A4KT) and on the right you can see the two keys for the keylock.

There was also an A3 sheet that details the components of the Enlight case and how they fit together. This does not show an Amiga bezel. Here are two scans of that sheet, front and back. If anyone wants high res images of that they can PM me.

« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2006, 08:21:58 PM »
Manuals and software

My A4KT came with the following manuals and disks:

The manuals came in this box:

There are six manuals and a quick reference booklet which makes 7 manual items just for Amiga OS 3.1 that ships with the A4KT. Then there are three other manuals for the free software that accompanied the A4KT.

Workbench 3.1 for my A4KT was supplied on 6 floppies (880k). Here are the labels of those disks:

These are not the same as A1200 Workbench disks. Here are the labels for the free software that came with my A4KT:

All the disks are 880kb. In my case there were 22 floppies in total, and 10 manuals that accompanied the Amiga.

« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2006, 08:51:38 PM »
I took 52 photos / scans for this thread, so I hope all you fukkas are grateful  :-P

Offline Oli_hd

• Show only replies by Oli_hd
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2006, 09:48:22 AM »
Thanks X-Ray, Im a grateful fukka  ;-)

One question though, where is the A4000T X-ray, come on now, hehe.

Ive looked for ages for a high resolution scan of the A4000T Board and came up with squat, cant wait to see the rest of the 52 photo's, get em up!   :-D

Offline Oli_hd

• Show only replies by Oli_hd
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2006, 09:55:54 AM »
oh and PS: Remove the flux from around that CIA, it looks like someone tried to melt your board. :-)

« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2006, 12:46:14 PM »
@ Oli-hd

Glad you like the pictures. I have a picture and matching X-ray of the A4KT mobo: I will see if I can locate those and post them here.

Flux mess: ja, been there, done that. Actually, it was Amiga Center in France who went there and did that. Some of the pictures in the thread are from before I got my CIAs socketed, and some are from after. But you are right, it was darned ugly before JJ got hold of it.

« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2006, 01:03:37 PM »
Well you are in luck my son, I found those pics. Here is the mobo and the X-ray of the mobo:

And here is a closeup of the ROMs, Gary, Ramsey and Buster:

These images were taken before the CIA replacement.

« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2006, 01:08:43 PM »
Technical info about that X-ray:

The proper term for it is radiograph. That one was produced from a 35 x 43 cm film in an X-ray cassette. It then gets developed in a black and white process. That blue tint you see there is the base tint of the cellulose layer of the film.

That is one big negaitve !!

Soon I will have access to a medical-grade radiographic digitizer and I will try to digitize my films properly. I don't know anybody who has a transparency scanner at home that can handle a 35 x 43 cm negative  ;-)

Offline Tahoe

• Show only replies by Tahoe
    • http://www.amiga4ever.nl
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2006, 03:33:37 PM »
Nice one X !

That really is the most horrific CIA I have ever seen! But another job well done from JJ; the sockets look fine.

Love the X-rays', once had one of a notebook, but this is so much more cool!
Greetings from Wilnis, The Netherlands
Now owning ALL Amiga models and most; if not all; flavours of them...My Amiga Museum

« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2006, 11:35:57 AM »
@ Tahoe

What revision is your disk module? Do you have a floppy converter PCB and 880k drive?

Offline odin

• Colonization had Galleons
    • Show only replies by odin
« Reply #29 from previous page: November 08, 2006, 12:25:57 PM »
I was wondering, do your colleagues find you odd in the slightest way for hauling a kingsize mobo to the hospital just to take some x-ray photos of it? ;-)