Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: AmiWolf AGA - new Wolfenstein 3D Port  (Read 31442 times)

Description:

Offline ddniUK

• Show only replies by ddniUK
Re: AmiWolf AGA - new Wolfenstein 3D Port
« Reply #89 from previous page: September 20, 2013, 10:32:10 PM »
Quote from: mikrucio;748414
excuse my ignorance....

but WHY THE HELL would anyone want to play a game you can download from the internet
with dosbox and play it, all in about 2 minutes of work and for free?
only to see how crap it looks and turn it off?

your a legend mate, but i really think your wasting your time...BIG TIME.

Everyone has a right to express their views, regardless of how rude they may be. Out of interest, What do you do with your Amiga time?

Offline apa

• Show only replies by apa
« Reply #90 on: September 20, 2013, 10:58:48 PM »
Quote from: NovaCoder;748418
I enjoy the coding challenge.

Thats the only reason needed. Why do people read books, why do people paint, why do people spend their time on a forum dedicated to a computer that the rest of the world nearly has forgotten about. Answer: Because they like it. Who's to judge what's a waste of time and what's not.

Offline ferrellsl

• DavidseltyAJ
    • Show only replies by ferrellsl
« Reply #91 on: September 20, 2013, 11:05:44 PM »
excuse my ignorance....

but WHY THE HELL would anyone want to play a game you can download from the internet

That's a very short sighted viewpoint.  Why do so many programmers port Linux to every imaginable CPU on the planet?  Because it's a challenge and they enjoy it.  That's why.  Same goes for guys who write application software and games.

Offline Havie

• Show only replies by Havie
« Reply #92 on: September 21, 2013, 08:10:27 AM »
Quote from: ferrellsl;748465
That's a very short sighted viewpoint. Why do so many programmers port Linux to every imaginable CPU on the planet? Because it's a challenge and they enjoy it. That's why. Same goes for guys who write application software and games.

I agree - I tend to think that people just enjoy the challenge, it's no different from doing a puzzle - keeps the mind going, helps you remember old skills. The other aspect is that it is creative whether you are creating some new or modifying some old. I have not got Nova's skills but I can imagine the pleasure in seeing something work for the first time. Having written a few PC game, I also enjoy getting e-mails or comments on my game - both positive and negative.

And to be frank if your opinion is how crap it looks then I don't think you get the whole retro thing?  I love my PS Vita and have had many happy days on my PS1/2/3 (and no doubt sometime in the future, 4) but I am also increasing having fun with my Amiga 1200.  I would have died to play Wolf 3D back in the day (enjoyed may Doom sessions with Doom Atack on my old 040/40 tower) and ofcourse there a little part of all of us Amy fans who think if what Novacoder is doing now was done then, perhaps we'd still have a Commodore today!  

Everyone is entitled to their comments but in this case:
Mikrucio :nervous::destroy: Nova coder

Offline paul1981

« Reply #93 on: September 21, 2013, 09:54:00 AM »
excuse my ignorance....

This is a pretty good answer: http://www.amiga.org/forums/showthread.php?p=741022#post741022 ;)

Quote from: mikrucio;741022
Yeah you be pretty hard pressed to find forums  users 10 years on, on most forums these days. Yet most of us have  endured! why? who knows.

I see My Amiga500 as a platform. That has limitations, The limitations imposed are what give
it personality!.. those 4096 colors I'm sure we have all seen hundreds  of times. in fact alot of us can probably give out the hex code to a  color we see on the screen lol!

The Amiga has something other computers don't. And its not because I was  using one when I was 14. Now that I'm 33 i don't think its a nostalgia  thing. But then again who knows how ones mind works...

The Amiga will never rise again as a new platform, simply because it doesn't need one.
The platform it filled is still there.

(ps i think this is my longest post in 10 years lol)

Offline nicholas

« Reply #94 on: September 21, 2013, 01:38:22 PM »
excuse my ignorance....

Why do people run the London marathon when they could just use a treadmill at home? ;)
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline Bamiga2002

• Show only replies by Bamiga2002
    • http://rutinskiband.net
« Reply #95 on: September 21, 2013, 11:40:16 PM »
Quote from: paul1981;748475
This is a pretty good answer: http://www.amiga.org/forums/showthread.php?p=741022#post741022 ;)
Divided persona disorder (aka skitsophrenia??) :p
CD32
A500

Offline NovaCoderTopic starter

« Reply #96 on: September 23, 2013, 02:34:33 PM »
Spear of Destiny OCS/ECS/AGA finished, will upload to AmiNet tomorrow :)

[youtube]Yt3iQO9JSoE[/youtube]
Life begins at 100 MIPS!

Nice Ports on AmiNet!

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #97 on: October 13, 2013, 07:57:03 AM »
Quote from: NovaCoder;748020
Another user has confirmed that CGX-AGA is not compatible with AmiWolf.
Coming back to this, I've searched through all my startup-sequences and system folders, and there's no sign of CGX-AGA or CyberBugfix; I dunno if they don't come with ClassicWB Lite, or if the guy who set it up for me removed them, but they don't seem to be present. Any further ideas on what might be causing this issue? ScummVM-AGA-030 is also hanging when I try to launch it...
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

« Reply #98 on: October 13, 2013, 08:28:34 AM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;749961
Coming back to this, I've searched through all my startup-sequences and system folders, and there's no sign of CGX-AGA or CyberBugfix; I dunno if they don't come with ClassicWB Lite, or if the guy who set it up for me removed them, but they don't seem to be present. Any further ideas on what might be causing this issue? ScummVM-AGA-030 is also hanging when I try to launch it...

Hiya,

It's very hard to debug this online :(

Have you tried it under WinUAE?   If you can get it working under WinUAE it does at least prove that you've got the correct data files.

Another thing you can try is to boot from a 3.0 WB disk and see if that lets you start it from WB (keep the disk in obviously).

For reference I'm running OS 3.9 with BB1 & BB2 and hardly any other patches/hacks (only Blizkick, FBlit and CopyMem060).

This game does seems to be very 'fussy', not sure why.   I know there are 3 different versions of the retail game data files and my port only supports 1 of them.
Life begins at 100 MIPS!

Nice Ports on AmiNet!

« Reply #99 on: June 12, 2014, 01:57:30 PM »
A few people noticed that my AmiWolf ports had stopped working recently (it turns out that they had an expiry date!).

I've managed to find the time to update all of these 3 ports to fix the time bug.

v1.18 of AGA/ECS and Spear of Destiny (AGA only) uploaded to AmiNet, I'll whack them in the Zone on EAB too :)

Have a play with enabling the new 'priority' tool type, might help performance slightly for some users.
Life begins at 100 MIPS!

Nice Ports on AmiNet!

Offline som99

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by som99
    • http://www.som99.se
« Reply #100 on: June 12, 2014, 11:40:07 PM »
Quote from: NovaCoder;766321
A few people noticed that my AmiWolf ports had stopped working recently (it turns out that they had an expiry date!).

I've managed to find the time to update all of these 3 ports to fix the time bug.

v1.18 of AGA/ECS and Spear of Destiny (AGA only) uploaded to AmiNet, I'll whack them in the Zone on EAB too :)

Have a play with enabling the new 'priority' tool type, might help performance slightly for some users.

Thank you for fixing this :)

« Reply #101 on: June 13, 2014, 02:14:24 AM »
Quote from: som99;766390
Thank you for fixing this :)

No probs, I don't like it when my software suddenly stops working ;)

AmiWolf OCS/ECS running on an expanded A500 ;)

[youtube]-kHmvGVOxYc[/youtube]
Life begins at 100 MIPS!

Nice Ports on AmiNet!

« Reply #102 on: June 16, 2014, 02:23:11 AM »
Over in the 'Zone' on EAB Dlfrsilver has just converted some really nice MIDI files to make them compatible with AmiWolf/AmiSpear.   I've given them a try myself and can confirm that they sound much better than the original ones :)

The Zone
Life begins at 100 MIPS!

Nice Ports on AmiNet!

« Reply #103 on: February 25, 2019, 10:37:10 PM »
Some user's were telling me that the mouse control wasn't working properly so I've now fixed it up and uploaded new versions to AmiNet (ECS/AGA/RTG) and also AmiSpear AGA.

Seems much smoother now and very playable  8)
Life begins at 100 MIPS!

Nice Ports on AmiNet!

The following users thanked this post: klx300r

Offline AndyFC

« Reply #104 on: February 26, 2019, 07:48:04 PM »
Thanks Novacoder. I saw Amiwolf pop up as a recent upload on Aminet last week and played it over the weekend. I am very impressed.

Can you give any more detail about which versions of the original game work best? The description in the readme is a bit cryptic. I'm happy with how it runs for me (and it works with a demo version I found) but anything to get some further performance is of interest.

Thank you.
A1200 in DIY Tower. 3.2 ROMs (softkicking 3.2.2), OS 3.2.2 with ClassicWB, CF card, CD RW and IDE to SD adapter running off the internal IDE port (using the A4000 4-port IDE adapter from Amigakit), Pistorm 32 lite with Pi4/2GB/Emu68 or Blizzard 1230-IV, with 32MB 60ns RAM and 50MHz 68882 FPU. 3COM PCMCIA Network card running with Miami DX.
MorphOS on PowerMac G5 and ATI 9600 pro