Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: AGP Graphics card for older PC to improve YouTube?  (Read 4657 times)

Description:

Offline nicholas

Re: AGP Graphics card for older PC to improve YouTube?
« Reply #29 from previous page: December 21, 2013, 07:44:18 PM »
In glad you've got it sorted.

Have you tried AROS on that PC btw?  It'll fly compared to Windows, but web browsing leaves a lot to be desired; though once Odyssey is opensourced and ported that should make AROS a great choice for old machines.
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline Ral-ClanTopic starter

• Show only replies by Ral-Clan
    • http://www3.sympatico.ca/clarke-santin/
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2013, 08:01:19 PM »
I believe I tried the AROS "live disc" once but it wouldn't boot all the way on this machine.  Will have to give it a try again.

Just loving this new Greasemonkey/VLC combo with YouTube.  Not only is 720p playing at 40-50% CPU, but if I crank it down to 360p WebM video, I am only using 9-11% of my CPU (there is no 480p option with this method)!

Just fantastic!
« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 08:06:38 PM by ral-clan »
Music I've made using Amigas and other retro-instruments: http://theovoids.bandcamp.com

Offline Thorham

• Show only replies by Thorham
« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2013, 08:18:19 PM »
All this tells us one thing: Flash and HTML 5 suck big turds! Hurray for utterly brain dead standards.

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2013, 08:26:12 PM »
Quote from: Thorham;754917
All this tells us one thing: Flash and HTML 5 suck big turds! Hurray for utterly brain dead standards.

At least HTML 5 is an open (turd? did you actually use that word?)...standard.

And when its done right, its much more efficient than Flash.
I have a 1.42 GHz iBook that flies when showing HTML 5 encoded material.

Why are we still allowing Adobe to extort us?
Didn't we learn when they tried to bend Apple users over a barrel with postscript.
They are worse than Microsoft.

At least with Microsoft I have alternatives.

(btw - on alternatives, I could almost get used to Linux, Android use must have softened my resistance).
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline nicholas

« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2013, 09:56:38 PM »
Quote from: Thorham;754917

Nope, it tells is that CPU driven video playback on a 2.8GHz Windows machine is worse than MorphOS running on a CPU half it's speed.
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline Iggy

« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2013, 10:16:35 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;754928
Nope, it tells is that CPU driven video playback on a 2.8GHz Windows machine is worse than MorphOS running on a CPU half it's speed.

It tells me that the html5 code that Fab is using kicks ass.
But then, have you noticed how much better MorphOS is at play video than OSX?
Pretty weird considering we don't have the benefit of gpu acceleration (just really good developers).
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

Offline Speelgoedmannetje

• Show only replies by Speelgoedmannetje
« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2013, 04:51:36 PM »
My gratitude to you people for pointing me at the greasemonkey/vlc plugin. I've got an up-to-date computer, but I hate wasted cpu cycles :D
Plus the download functionality enabled me to save my favorites.
And the canary said: \'chirp\'

Offline LaserBack

• Show only replies by LaserBack
« Reply #36 on: December 24, 2013, 08:56:55 AM »
to get hardware acceleration for youtube flash videos you need at least a geforce 8 series or at least a Radeon HD 4000+ card
however it is very difficult to find a geforce 8 AGP, they are all PCI-E
also for old computers is better and faster to use flash player 10 instead 11
flash player 11 is slower on old computers

my backup computer is a pentium 4 cedar ii at 3.0ghz and a geforce 6600GT, it can play youtube videos up to 720 very well using flash player 10, in 1080 not works fine skip lot of frames cpu is at 100%

ie note this config uses CPU only because the geforce 6 series not support hardware accel in flash player

Offline som99

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by som99
    • http://www.som99.se
« Reply #37 on: December 24, 2013, 11:12:10 AM »
I got the 3850 on a old 3GHz socket 478 agp computer but before I got my hands on it I uses the PCI version of the geforce 8400gs and even on the PCI buss it did a decent job on old computers for a low price and many  (most) version are passive.

So to get away cheap try getting the 8400GS.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 11:15:13 AM by som99 »

Offline Iggy

« Reply #38 on: December 24, 2013, 11:24:03 AM »
Alternately, there are Radeon HD4650 AGP  video cards that would provide acceleration and would work with this machine.

« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2014, 04:48:42 AM »
Hey!  I found an old computer in the garbage with the following AGP card in it:

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=BFGR57256LE-OC

(specs at the bottom of the page).

Would this be any improvement over the motherboard Intel chip graphics (intel 865G chipset)?  I can't find out much about this chipset, except that it was released around the same time as the AGP graphics card linked to above, and had something to do with Intel's "Extreme Graphics 2", whatever that is.

I think I found some specs on it here:
http://ark.intel.com/products/27707/Intel-82865G-Graphics-and-Memory-Controller

It's hard to do a comparison....not really knowing what some of these things mean.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 04:57:31 AM by ral-clan »
Music I've made using Amigas and other retro-instruments: http://theovoids.bandcamp.com

Offline som99

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by som99
    • http://www.som99.se
« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2014, 10:00:57 AM »
Quote from: ral-clan;756250
Hey!  I found an old computer in the garbage with the following AGP card in it:

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=BFGR57256LE-OC

(specs at the bottom of the page).

Would this be any improvement over the motherboard Intel chip graphics (intel 865G chipset)?  I can't find out much about this chipset, except that it was released around the same time as the AGP graphics card linked to above, and had something to do with Intel's "Extreme Graphics 2", whatever that is.

I think I found some specs on it here:
http://ark.intel.com/products/27707/Intel-82865G-Graphics-and-Memory-Controller

It's hard to do a comparison....not really knowing what some of these things mean.

The FX5700 is a lot faster then the integrated intel 865G but has no support for hardware acceleration on flash videos. But still a faster card and might be useful for other things :)
I have the 865G chipset on one of my 478 boards with a P4 3GHz also and it's rubbish.

« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2014, 04:36:58 PM »
Quote from: som99;756264
The FX5700 is a lot faster then the integrated intel 865G but has no support for hardware acceleration on flash videos. But still a faster card and might be useful for other things :)
I have the 865G chipset on one of my 478 boards with a P4 3GHz also and it's rubbish.

So, what I'm gathering about AGP video cards is that they're only really an improvement if you do a lot of modern 3d engine gaming.

I don't do any of this type of gaming AT ALL.  The only gaming I might do on this PC is emulate Amiga and C64 games with UAE and VICE to play games for those platforms.  With emulation, I'm learning that the graphics card would help at all over the integrated chipset (even the integrated chipset is not really being pushed), right?

What I really use my computer for is video editing (Sony Vegas), music recording and 3d modelling/rendering software (older software).  Also desktop publishing / 2d graphics - this includes a LOT of running WinUAE to use Amiga graphics software.

Would installing this AGP card I found in the garbage really improve anything in regard to these productivity applications?  The system works well now so I don't want to fix what aint broken unless I knew I was going to get a speed bump in using video editing software or something (for instance, rendering of video in Sony Vegas).  If the only advantage from an AGP card would be to gaming then I won't even bother.

Thanks in advance for any input you guys may have.  Learning a lot here.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 04:39:31 PM by ral-clan »

Offline Iggy

« Reply #42 on: January 04, 2014, 04:49:02 PM »
No, you will see an improvement with a 5700.
Remember, what they are talking about is video decoding acceleration.
All 2D and 3D drawing functions will be better with that card than with i865 integrated graphics, so its not just game acceleration.

I don't have the advantage of hardware acceleration under MorphOS (the OS doesn't support it) and I still favor more powerful video cards (and I don't play games either).