Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Missing files in PFS3-AIO partitions  (Read 1859 times)

Description:

Offline FirestoneTopic starter

Missing files in PFS3-AIO partitions
« on: November 01, 2014, 11:55:12 AM »
Hi everyone!

Just ran into a problem with my A1200 where I have patched the system to support large harddrives.
Unfortunately I have missed something, or to make things more clear: Some patches coflicted making the system not compatible to large harddrives.

The system is running my BBS for 24/7 and have been running stable ever since I upgraded the kickstart-chips with 3.1 ROMs, WB3.1, latest Setpatch, NSDPatch and scsi.device 43.24 via Loadmodule in startup-sequence.

System seemed to rune just fine for years now, but I noticed something on my second A1200 a while ago when installing the same patches.
The second A1200 rebooted once when booting from cold start.
This is normal because the computer have to reboot itself when loadmodule loads the new scsi.device.

But on the BBS-A1200 two reboots happened every time. (even from warm reboot).
This got me thinking.... something must have broken the patch after the system was fully loaded.

I investigated the startup-sequence, and found patches such as Toggleclick which shuts up floppy disk drives, but this only affects trackdisk.device and not scsi.device.
The problem seemed to be under the "Processor"-menu in MCP. Had to disable "SSP to Fastmemory" and now the computer only applies the LoadModule-patch once when booting.

Sadly this resulted in a problem where SOME files on one partition is missing.. the rest seems to be fine and the partition is still read and writeable as normal.

But a partition after the BBS-partition itself seems to be empty. Its still readable, but contains only "disk.info".

Are there any recoverytools that are able to scan these partitions which seems to be working normal for files that may have existed?

Offline Thomas

Re: Missing files in PFS3-AIO partitions
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2014, 02:05:22 PM »
PFS3 comes with PFSDoctor and DiskValid. There is also PFSSalv on Aminet.

Never use MCP or similar on a production-state machine.

Offline Thorham

• Show only replies by Thorham
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2014, 03:14:59 PM »
Quote from: Thomas;776381
Never use MCP or similar on a production-state machine.
Why not?

Offline Gulliver

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2014, 03:38:31 PM »
Quote from: Thorham;776389
Why not?

It is full of hacky patches, that may improve/add features, but at the cost of unrealibility, incompatibility and unstability.

Offline FirestoneTopic starter

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2014, 04:40:12 PM »
Well, an unpatched version of AmigaOS3.1 is kind of crap to use, but I se your point, Thomas.

With that said, the MCP configuration from this machine was configured almost two decades ago, and now I had to read the documentation from MCP to get details about every patch.
At the time of configuration we were very little critical to the consequences of every patch.

MCP provides some nice enhancements for the operating system both on functionality and speed improvements, so I can't live without it actually.

Think I have solved the problem now. Some problems related to a patch I read about om this forum called "Systempatch". I really don't know what the patch does, and I can't see any improvements on a system that has already been patched with MCP. It caused some files to be unreadable, so I removed it. This patch was applied only weeks ago, and the system has been stable for over 10 years running 24/7.

Thanks a lot for your help guys :)