Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: How to create a fast (but stable) OS3.9 AGA setup  (Read 43601 times)

Description:

Offline TheGoose

• Show only replies by TheGoose
    • http://www.amiga.org/forums/blog.php?u=827
Re: How to create a fast (but stable) OS3.9 AGA setup
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2009, 01:11:41 AM »
trying, problems with sgrab and .png - will try some other format ...

To the new owner, whoever you are - increase our file upload sizes / demensions so we can see 1024x768 in all its glory.
G1200, A3000D, A1200 PPC AOS4.0C

I\'m on Google +

Offline mike-

• Show only replies by mike-
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2009, 05:52:57 AM »
http://aminet.net/package/util/misc/gfxroute check that, and pay attention to fscreen. That thing greatly speeds up aga. And tlsfmem of course. If you have an 040 or 060, look into copymem and some other recent patch i cant remember the name of.
C= Amiga Addict & Dendrophiliac
(Oo)
⎛☮ໄ
ﮑὠՀ

Offline TheGoose

« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2009, 09:30:40 PM »
Well I'm disappointed, I'm using sgrab (I like it) and have installed a jpeg library that it wanted. So when I makes some grabs, bring them over to the laptop, they won't display. Not even in photoshop. Photoshop complains:

"unkown or invalid jpeg marker type is found"

:(   :furious:

I\'m on Google +

Offline TheGoose

« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2009, 04:09:58 PM »
Yay! had to install the boring 020 version jpeg.library to get sgrab to work. Here are the results of this thread - the Corduroy Workbench:

« Last Edit: December 19, 2009, 04:29:46 PM by TheGoose »

I\'m on Google +

Offline koshman

• Show only replies by koshman
« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2009, 09:59:29 PM »
Very nice! Thanks a lot for your effort.
- Radim

A600 - 68020/33, 10MB RAM, 3.1, 2GB SD

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2009, 02:51:27 AM »
Okay guys and gals,

this thread and the one about work being completed on an unofficial BoingBag3 have motivated me to stop working on my current A3000 and A3000T projects and go back to my A1200/060/256mb Fast RAM & Blizzard SCSI.

I have just finished tearing it down to remove the 4gb hard drive and replace it with an 8gb Compact Flash card and IDE to CF adapter.  The CF is now partitioned and formatted and I have installed AmigaOS3.9, but not the BoingBags 1 & 2 yet.

My question is, do I start at the beginning of this thread or should I install the unofficial "BoingBag 3" and then come back to this thread and install what is suggested here?  Also, are there starting to be some conflicting alternative suggestions in this thread for what are the best patches and programs to install to get the best and fastest AGA Amiga setup?

Here are my complete specs for my system:

Late model A1200 - Oct 12th, 1995 stamped in ink inside the case top
Rev 1D4 Motherboard
Blizzard 1260 rev. II w/SCSI module and 256mb RAM
8gb CF card on internal IDE header via IDE-> CF adapter
IndivisionAGA 1200 connected to a 19" CRT
current display settings are 1440x400 w/64 color Workbench, but will look at 1024x768 HighGFX when I get it downloaded and installed
External Zip250 & CD-ROM connected to Blizzard SCSI module's external connector
Subway USB controller w/registered Poseidon stack & 4 USB ports (2 back & 2 side of case)
New AmigaKit floppy drive (bought at AmiWest 2009, thanks Matthew)
Wireless Network card for Miami Deluxe & IBrowse2.4

I think that is everything?

Advice on how to make this an ultimate and fast as possible AGA AmigaOS3.9 machine will be greatly appreciated.

Old-time Amiga user > then long time Amiga collector > now enjoying being an active Amiga user again.
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

Offline Gulliver

« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2009, 03:32:46 AM »
I am glad that BoingBag 3 has motivated people to use more their Amigas!

All recomendations are good, the choices you make should really depend on your point of view and Amiga usage. It is allways a good policy to try out things out first, and then decide based on results you get.

By the way, you ´ve got a very nice AGA setup!

PS: Has anyone tryed CybergraphX 4.x AGA driver on a 68k? How does it perform?

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2009, 03:48:55 AM »
Quote from: Gulliver;534531
I am glad that BoingBag 3 has motivated people to use more their Amigas!

All recomendations are good, the choices you make should really depend on your point of view and Amiga usage. It is allways a good policy to try out things out first, and then decide based on results you get.

By the way, you ´ve got a very nice AGA setup!

PS: Has anyone tryed CybergraphX 4.x AGA driver on a 68k? How does it perform?

I have the CybergraphX 4 CD here, so I can install the driver and let you know what it looks like using my IndivisionAGA if the two are compatible together.

The reason I asked my question is I, like many other returning Amiga users missed out on that period of time when most of the third party patches and improvements were being created, discussed and tested, so I have no knowledge of them except the recommendations I can get from other users who were active at that time and over the years have kept up with each new development for the Classic Amiga models and last improvements for OS3.9.

It is very easy to install something and screw up a perfectly good OS installation and it is sometimes hard to reverse such screw-ups.  I had just such an occurrence this morning and I still don't know exactly what was the cause of the problem that took down my A1200.  This was also a reason for me to take apart the A1200 and switch from the 4gb hard drive to the 8gb CF card as the 4gb hdd would no longer boot.  I think it was the BoingBag 1 or 2 ROM updates, so I have not installed BoingBags yet until I read more in these threads.  I was hoping that someone with a Blizzard 1260 and IndivisionAGA would chime in and offer to tell me what setup he/she is using and which patches, programs and utilities I should install to match their fast AGA setup.  I am too tired and busy to keep using trial and error method, but that is what I will do if there is no easier way to get where I want to be.

Offline Gulliver

« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2009, 03:59:07 AM »
I am sorry that my setup doesnt match your own, so i could help you out. But i am sure some Amiga user over here will be willing to give you a helping hand.

By the way, backups are a good habit that will save you more than half of those headaches!

Good luck!

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2009, 10:29:29 PM »
Quote from: Gulliver;534534
I am sorry that my setup doesnt match your own, so i could help you out. But i am sure some Amiga user over here will be willing to give you a helping hand.

By the way, backups are a good habit that will save you more than half of those headaches!

Good luck!

Yeah, I am booting now from a ZIP100 optical disk, so I did have a backup.  I am just anxious to get this done as quickly as possible so I can get back to a couple of other Amiga projects that are in pieces all over my kitchen table, the pool table and the game room coffee table and floor.

I was hoping when I saw the thread that someone had put everything into one neat package that I could install as easily as OS3.9 itself and just tweak a couple of settings to match my setup and be done with it.  The idea of installing one component, testing, backing up and then repeating the process for the next component, when there may be 20 to 30 (or 50) different components required to be updated, added or patched is a very time consuming prospect for me.

Oh well, it will be worth it so here I go.  I am going to start with a completely clean install of OS3.9 but can anyone tell me if I should, or should not check the "Install ROM updates" check box when running the BoingBag1 and BoingBag2 updates since I have a Blizzard 1260 accelerator board?

Edit:  My old configuration of OS3.9 was on the hard drive when I bought this A1260 system and probably had BoingBags 1 & 2 already installed, but I installed them again to start the process of following the BoingBag3 installation instructions just in case they weren't installed.  Then, when I connected a USB flashdrive to one of my USB ports on the Subway my A1200 crashed and it could not reboot, cold or warm.  Something was screwed up and I was not sure what it was.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 10:35:04 PM by amigadave »

Offline NovaCoderTopic starter

« Reply #39 on: December 24, 2009, 12:53:52 PM »
Quote from: amigadave;534527
Okay guys and gals,

this thread and the one about work being completed on an unofficial BoingBag3 have motivated me to stop working on my current A3000 and A3000T projects and go back to my A1200/060/256mb Fast RAM & Blizzard SCSI.

I have just finished tearing it down to remove the 4gb hard drive and replace it with an 8gb Compact Flash card and IDE to CF adapter.  The CF is now partitioned and formatted and I have installed AmigaOS3.9, but not the BoingBags 1 & 2 yet.

My question is, do I start at the beginning of this thread or should I install the unofficial "BoingBag 3" and then come back to this thread and install what is suggested here?  Also, are there starting to be some conflicting alternative suggestions in this thread for what are the best patches and programs to install to get the best and fastest AGA Amiga setup?

Yes as I said in my original post, install BB1, 2 and 3 first (although BB3 is now 'growing').

Quote from: amigadave;534527

Here are my complete specs for my system:

Late model A1200 - Oct 12th, 1995 stamped in ink inside the case top
Rev 1D4 Motherboard
Blizzard 1260 rev. II w/SCSI module and 256mb RAM
8gb CF card on internal IDE header via IDE-> CF adapter
IndivisionAGA 1200 connected to a 19" CRT
current display settings are 1440x400 w/64 color Workbench, but will look at 1024x768 HighGFX when I get it downloaded and installed
External Zip250 & CD-ROM connected to Blizzard SCSI module's external connector
Subway USB controller w/registered Poseidon stack & 4 USB ports (2 back & 2 side of case)
New AmigaKit floppy drive (bought at AmiWest 2009, thanks Matthew)
Wireless Network card for Miami Deluxe & IBrowse2.4

Nice specs, yes HighGFX 1024x768 in 64 colours should run very well on your setup.

Have you thought about ditching the IDE (blanking it off) and using an external SCSI HD?

What about a power supply for that lot?
Life begins at 100 MIPS!

Nice Ports on AmiNet!

Offline NovaCoderTopic starter

« Reply #40 on: December 24, 2009, 01:08:02 PM »
I've updated my original post with my HighGFX WB now that I've got the stupid screen-graber to work ;)
Life begins at 100 MIPS!

Nice Ports on AmiNet!

Offline Gulliver

« Reply #41 on: December 24, 2009, 05:29:39 PM »
@NovaCoder

Could you be kind enough to share that female body backdrop?

@All
Merry Christmas!!!

Offline TheGoose

« Reply #42 on: December 24, 2009, 06:12:20 PM »
HAHAHA - Ok no fair! his workbench has much better lines than mine;
and mine was wife approved

:laugh1:
« Last Edit: December 24, 2009, 06:16:02 PM by TheGoose »

I\'m on Google +

Offline koshman

• Show only replies by koshman
« Reply #43 on: December 24, 2009, 07:07:20 PM »
and mine was wife approved

That's probably the reason :D
« Last Edit: December 24, 2009, 07:09:42 PM by koshman »
- Radim

A600 - 68020/33, 10MB RAM, 3.1, 2GB SD

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #44 from previous page: December 24, 2009, 09:56:33 PM »
Quote from: NovaCoder;534998
Yes as I said in my original post, install BB1, 2 and 3 first (although BB3 is now 'growing').

Nice specs, yes HighGFX 1024x768 in 64 colours should run very well on your setup.

Have you thought about ditching the IDE (blanking it off) and using an external SCSI HD?

What about a power supply for that lot?

Hey NovaCoder,

I understand the instructions to install 3.9, then BoingBags 1, 2 & 3 in order, but I am still having problems.  I am using an 8gb Compact Flash card in an IDE to CF adapter, connected to the A1200's IDE controller, because I wanted to reduce heat above my IndivisionAGA display enhancer.  Also, the CF card is twice the size of the 4gb hdd I was using.

I have the CF card partitioned into 5 partitions. 1st one is bootable for the OS3.9 and is about .9gb in size, 2nd partition is also bootable and the same size for use as a backup boot partition and this is the one that I am doing all of my experimental BoingBag3 installs onto, the remaining 3 partitions are all about 2gb (a little less) and they are labeled Work:, Play: and Extra: for containing programs and data.

I have been very careful in my installation proceedures, but I must be missing something, some step that I have missed, because I keep coming up with the same errors, which I will list exactly below.

At the end of BoingBag3 the instructions say to alter the startup-sequence, so here is a partial listing of my startup-sequence showing exactly what I have tried.  (this is at the top before anything else)

IF Exists C:IDEFix
      C:IDEFix
Endif

;BEGIN BoingBag3
SYS:C/LoadModule L:FastFileSystem L:RAM-Handler L:Shell-Seg DEVS:scsi.device Libs:icon.library Libs:workbench.library NOREBOOT
SYS:C/SetPatch SKIPROMMODULES filesystem,icon,ram-handler,scsi,shell,workbench QUIET
;END BoingBag3

The original setpatch line has been removed from the script.

Then I turn off the computer and wait for 5 to 10 minutes, or on one attempt, I waited all night.  Then I coldboot and get these errors.

"Loading DEVS:scsi.device failed: object not found"
"LoadModule failed returncode 10"

So, I then boot into my other boot partition and remove the "DEVS:scsi.device" part of the LoadModule line and also remove the "scsi" part of the SKIPROMMODULES line and reboot.  Then I get this error.

"Loading filesystem failed: object already exists"

So I then boot into my other partition again and remove the "L:FastFileSystem" part of the LoadModule line and the "filesystem" part of the SKIPROMMODULES line and reboot.  I then get this error.

"ram-handler version 44 already resident"
"Loading ram-handler failed: object already exists"

So, I again reboot into my other boot partition and remove ..... you get the idea.  This time when I reboot, there are no error messages and I get all the way to the Workbench.  I have used the "Find" feature to look for scsi.device on my system and it does not exist, but is mentioned in my "DEVS:NSDPatch.cfg", "DEVS:NSDPatch.cfg-BB3.9-1", and "DEVS:NSDPatch.cfg.BB39-2" as well as being listed in the icon files of some other DOS drivers like DEVS:Storage/DOSdrivers/CD0:, etc.

I find it hard to believe that others have not come across this same problem, since I am using the same BoingBag 1, 2 and 3 installation scripts as everyone else, but I for some reason don't have any scsi.device installed on to my system anywhere.  The problem with the RAM-Handler and FastFileSystem modules not being able to be loaded by LoadModule is also puzzling.

I have not transferred my "log-files" from my Amiga to my PC, or I would attempt to attach them to this posting.

HELP!

P.S.  I just unarchived IDEfix97 from my aminet CD's and took a look at it and it appears to be an old fix that has been superseded by newer fixes for TD64 being added to systems to allow >4gb devices.  I wonder if I install it, if it will fail to install due to the missing scsi.device, or if it contains a version of my missing scsi.device and could fix part of my problems.

What could be more fun that working on my Amigas on Christmas Eve? (well, probably a lot of things, but I really want to figure out creating a fast and stable OS3.9 A1200/060)

Edit:  @NovaCoder, I do have a 150watt PSU running my A1200 and I would not want to blank off the internal IDE and use an external SCSI hdd instead of the internal 8gb CF card.  It is my understanding that the Read/Write to and from the CF should be faster and my efforts are to get the fastest stable AGA OS3.9 install that I can create.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2009, 10:00:55 PM by amigadave »