Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: So what phone does everyone use?  (Read 11918 times)

Description:

Offline save2600

• Show only replies by save2600
Re: So what phone does everyone use?
« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2011, 05:12:46 PM »
I bought what I thought was the cheapest option for doing internet lite things a year ago - this faux Blackberry Boost Mobile thing. Keys are tiny as hell and surfing the web is a complete joke. Company pays the monthly bill, but I literally use it maybe a few minutes a week. So... I'm thinking about simply changing over to one of those phones that's $10 (you can actually see the display and buttons too on these models) and something like $15 a month - that's literally all I need. The Boost Mobile/Sprint network *still* sucks and I've been on/off 'em since the late 90's. In fact, NONE of these modern phones are worth a shit as telephones go. Reception and that underwater digital sound is absolutely horrendous to these ears. What? Huh? I spend more time filling in the blanks and pretending I heard what the other person had to say on these silly things. And apps? Pffft.

Cell phones to me are quite offensive and the way people abuse them today is even more so. Sickening how many people have the bloody things. Can't wait for them to become banned due to mental health and cancerous reasons. The asexual nerds of today sure seem to love 'em though! :lol:

Offline Franko

• Show only replies by Franko
« Reply #45 on: March 24, 2011, 05:13:06 PM »
Quote from: AmigaNG;624282
You know what is funny but I think actually texting and making a call on my phone accounts for about 10% of it use, (which is why I got Pay as you Go) the rest is internet, gaming, taking photos or videos, watching a film or simpons eps, lisening to music or the radio and the main featrue is the great GPS and Map service thats got me home a few times when I got lost on long jurneys, it amazing to have so much on a phone. I recommend a smart phone to anyone even if you dont make many calls it is the best all in one tech device you can get, so really you should just treat the Phone as one small feature of the device.

This is not aimed at you personally, it's just my views on these gawd awful device and the effect they've had on society... :(

While i see why you use one from your post, to me that just sums up society today and the lack of real communication between people these days... :(

Im mean in 47 years I've never got so lost that I would need something like GPS just to find my way home or to a destination where I was heading... :)

Why folk feel the urge to be on the internet when they're out and about or in others company is beyond belief and just plain ignorant... :(

Playing games on a train or plain journeys or any kind of transport where there are other human beings around you to talk to and interact with is again a sad reflection on society these days and just adding to the ever increasing spiral of a society where folk would be better of just staying at home on their own and never venturing out into the real world to experience what life is all about... :(

So your recommendation of everyone buying such a device is really just another sad reflection of the lack of understanding these days that most folk think on what life is all about... sad but unfortunately very true... :(

PS:all this talk of jailbreaking & hacking phones is nothing new, when I was a kid and there were public phone boxes everywhere, we broke/hacked them to get the money out of the coin box... :D

Offline BillE

• Show only replies by BillE
« Reply #46 on: March 24, 2011, 05:28:00 PM »
Quote from: save2600;624311

Cell phones to me are quite offensive and the way people abuse them today is even more so. Sickening how many people have the bloody things. Can't wait for them to become banned due to mental health and cancerous reasons. The asexual nerds of today sure seem to love 'em though! :lol:

I agree 100% if not more.

The number of times I am on a bus or train and the journey is ruined by prats talking to themselves - well it seems that way until you realise they are shouting into a mobile phone. These people cannot even talk quietly, but have to shout into the bl;oody things.

I just do not see the point of them. Having a phone at home is bad enough, I have to have the dratted BT line for my internet access but could do without the phone itself. ant I certainly do NOT want is people ringing me up when I am ot at home, I leave home to escape the phone. Why people want to carry them around with them is a mystery.

I do wish they would be banned in public places, like libraries buses trains etc. It will happen, people are no longer allowed to kill us with lung cancer so hopefully mobile phones will get the same treatment !

Surely after the invention of email the entire purpose of a phone is now obsolete ?

Bill.

BTW. I don't have a mobile phone, unlikely I ever will either.

Offline Christian Johansson

• Show only replies by Christian Johansson
« Reply #47 on: March 24, 2011, 05:57:49 PM »
I got an Orange San Francisco (aka ZTE Blade) now, but i'll be getting a Samsung Galaxy S soon hopefully.

Offline SysAdmin

• News posting Auto Agent
    • Show only replies by SysAdmin
    • http://www.a-eon.com
« Reply #48 on: March 24, 2011, 06:02:21 PM »
Quote from: Franko;624312
This is not aimed at you personally, it's just my views on these gawd awful device and the effect they've had on society... :(

If you're looking for a gawd awful device Franko Windows Phone 7 was made just for you.

:laughing:
Posts on this account before August 4th, 2012 don\'t belong to me.

Offline Franko

« Reply #49 on: March 24, 2011, 06:04:48 PM »
Quote from: Transition;624327
If you're looking for a gawd awful device Franko Windows Phone 7 was made just for you.

:laughing:

You kidding... WINDOWS & A MOBILE PHONE... Probably two of the worst things ever to hit the human race... :D

Better of nailing a message to one of me squirrels and getting them to deliver it, costs peanuts... ;)

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #50 on: March 24, 2011, 06:10:44 PM »
We got rid of the home phone a year and a half ago, between mobile phones, skype and the rest the thing was bloody useless, it was tied to one place, charged calls by the distance and kept getting telemarketer calls.  Landlines just have no place in the home.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline motrucker

« Reply #51 on: March 24, 2011, 06:15:08 PM »
I voted other, but it was a toss up between other and cheapest. I only use a phone, pretty much as a phone.
I have a Palm that is rather neat - but the only reason I use this is it was FREE.
I really don't like these damned things. I hate the way people use them in public too. To call them rude is an understatement. Cell phones are illegal to use here while driving - but does that stop anyone? I am starting to stray, so I'll cut it off here...
A2000 GVP 40MHz \'030, 21Mb RAM SD/FF, 2 floppies, internal CD-ROM drive, micromys v3 w/laser mouse
A1000 Microbotics Starboard II w/2Mb 1080, & external floppy (AIRdrive)
C-128 w/1571, 1750, & Final Cartridge III+

Offline Franko

« Reply #52 on: March 24, 2011, 06:18:05 PM »
Quote from: persia;624331
We got rid of the home phone a year and a half ago, between mobile phones, skype and the rest the thing was bloody useless, it was tied to one place, charged calls by the distance and kept getting telemarketer calls.  Landlines just have no place in the home.

Ever heard of wireless house phones... ;)

or changing your landline supplier... :)

Or call blocking or ex directory to keep the telemarketers out... :)

PS: if you have no landline how do you connect to the net ???

Offline nicholas

« Reply #53 on: March 24, 2011, 06:21:43 PM »
Quote from: Franko;624337

Only morons use copper lines for their net access, the rest of us use fiber-optic cable or HSDPA/4G/WiMax Frank! ;)
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline nicholas

« Reply #54 on: March 24, 2011, 06:23:53 PM »
Quote from: fryguy;624323
I got an Orange San Francisco (aka ZTE Blade) now, but i'll be getting a Samsung Galaxy S soon hopefully.

My HD2 (Which was running Gingerbread 2.3.3) was stolen recently so I'm using an el-cheapo Blade which is also running 2.3.3 until my contract is due for renewal in September.

Dual-core Tegra based model for me when that time comes methinks. :)
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline Franko

« Reply #55 on: March 24, 2011, 06:31:01 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;624339
Only morons use copper lines for their net access, the rest of us use fiber-optic cable or HSDPA/4G/WiMax Frank! ;)

Me old copper line work fine for me and I aint paying Virgin 30 quid a month for their naff packages on top of the 95 quid a month Sky charges me... :)

Anyway you can always rip them old copper lines up and flog em to the scrappies... ;)

Offline B00tDisk

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by B00tDisk
    • http://www.thedelversdungeon.com
« Reply #56 on: March 24, 2011, 06:35:26 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;624285
I have to throw my cards in with the why bother crowd. When I needed one it was either provided by my employer or I used a cheap pay as you go phone (like the phones from Virgin Mobile).
But frankly, I don't like being available at all times or being a slave to my phone. And texting? Far too torturous on my finger. Smartphone functions? A phone's display is too small. I might consider a 7" tablet, but a phone display? My eyesight isn't that good.
And I'm sure there are mobile phones with as high a resolution as my digital camera, but I doubt they have optical zoom.
I'll leave these easily lost or destroyed toys to those of you who favor them.

Yeah, and I bet all those grapes up there are sour, too.
Back away from the EU-SSR!

Offline B00tDisk

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by B00tDisk
    • http://www.thedelversdungeon.com
« Reply #57 on: March 24, 2011, 06:40:22 PM »
Awesome.  It's always so nice to see the amigoid crowd chime in about how they don't need this newfangled that or the other - and then justify it with (uninformed) comments about the functionality.

I remember when using an Amiga meant having a computer that was cutting edge, ultra high-tech and ran rings around the rest.  Now, if this thread was anything to go by, the sad remainders of the userbase are a bunch of bitter old Luddites who'd prefer the tech world be a more frustrating, slower and harder to use place.

And for the record I have a Samsung Intercept as my sole phone, bill ranges anywhere from $25-$60, depending on what I want to pay Virgin Mobile on any given month.  No contracts, and if it comes down to it I can tether it to my PC and use it as my broadband connection, cutting the $50 Sprint wireless 4g bill out of the budget.

As for the rest?  There's a guy with an Imsai 8080 and paper tape reader who thinks you're all a bunch of effete snobs.
Back away from the EU-SSR!

Offline Franko

« Reply #58 on: March 24, 2011, 06:44:21 PM »
Quote from: B00tDisk;624346
Now, if this thread was anything to go by, the sad remainders of the userbase are a bunch of bitter old Luddites who'd prefer the tech world be a more frustrating, slower and harder to use place.

Sums me up perfectly that does... :)

I just need to spend a wee bit more time figuring out how to hack websites and writing viruses for these modern day computers then this old Luddite will really throw a spanner in the works and send us all back to the good old days... :D

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #59 from previous page: March 24, 2011, 07:01:39 PM »
I just checked, the ADSL2 I have provides a phone line too.  I'll be buggered what the number is, but apparently there's one.  I'll have to check the phone directory on my iPhone to see if something is listed somewhere.  It was cheaper than my old ADSL alone so I just assumed they weren't going to provide a phone (naked ADSL) number too.  

So it's there, it isn't ever going to be used and I don't have an old fashion landline phone left to test it with, so I may never know whether it works or not.

Quote from: Franko;624337
Ever heard of wireless house phones... ;)

or changing your landline supplier... :)

Or call blocking or ex directory to keep the telemarketers out... :)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.