Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: ** HOT FLASH ** EFIKA is now the biggest ever Team Aros Bounty! **  (Read 8672 times)

Description:

Offline CannonFodder

• Show only replies by CannonFodder
Re: ** HOT FLASH ** EFIKA is now the biggest ever Team Aros Bounty! **
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2006, 06:43:03 PM »

Tomas wrote:
I would rather see some new features like emulation layer, so that you can actually use it for running software. As it is now, it is just of no usage for the non developer. I think all effort should be on drivers for current platforms, more software and emulation that enables you to run 68k apps and games without having to fire up uae.

I dont see how aros can compete with MOS as it is now..

IIRC seemless 68k emulation integration is awaiting the fruits of M.Schulz labour on the modular AMD64 kernel.
People are hostile to what they do not understand - Imam Ali ibn Abi Talib(AS)

Offline CannonFodder

« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2006, 06:44:34 PM »

dammy wrote:

You want AROS, either roll up your sleeve or open that wallet like so many of us have over the years.

What if I wanted to donate to a bounty, but I do not trust the person responsible for keeping my money in escrow?

Offline CannonFodder

« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2006, 06:54:10 PM »
Has the Sputnik browser been ported to AROS yet?

Offline pixie

• Show only replies by pixie
    • http://savoc.tripod.com
« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2006, 09:45:23 PM »
Has the Sputnik browser been ported to AROS yet?

Although AROS seems to be the last of the three Amiga and alike OSes regarding to browsers it has something that none the others have (except when 3.* is emulated), that is the ability of running on top of linux, so experience can be improved until it reaches the host level without much grief for the user. On native though it don't happen that way...

pixie- writing from a paradise called Portugal

Offline Piru

• \' union select name,pwd--
    • Show only replies by Piru
    • http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/
« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2006, 09:59:45 PM »
@Fransexy_

Doom or Quake weren't going to happen because the game publishers didn't want to consider it (while they were technically wrong in saying amigas could not run Doom, in practice it would have been total disaster, most systems were WAY too slow for Doom back then). Once the source code were released, porting was trivial. It's literally 1 weekend job, while something as complex as Firefox or OpenOffice takes years.

These things just don't compare, not even remotely. I will continue to claim Firefox/Mozilla will not happen.

Offline c64_d0c

• Show only replies by c64_d0c
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2006, 10:24:35 PM »
ofcourse it will take years when people throw their time away on not important projects and while all the no-sayers back them up and says "it will never happen"... a good web browser like firebird and an emulator layer is what AROS desperatly need...
________
Buy E Cigarette
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 06:06:40 AM by c64_d0c »
On schedule and rockin\\\'!!!1!!

Offline dammy

• Show only replies by dammy
« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2006, 12:04:32 AM »
What if I wanted to donate to a bounty, but I do not trust the person responsible for keeping my money in escrow?

If you do not trust me, go make up your own system.  Simple as that.

Dammy
TeamAROS
Dammy

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Arix-OS/414578091930728
Unless otherwise noted, I speak only for myself.

Offline dammy

« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2006, 12:30:20 AM »
ofcourse it will take years when people throw their time away on not important projects and while all the no-sayers back them up and says "it will never happen"... a good web browser like firebird and an emulator layer is what AROS desperatly need...

Well, there are those who say negative things while sitting on their butts, then there are others who actively doing something to achieve goals.  My hat is off to the AROS developers, their dedication is very inspiring to those of us who doing what we can to motivate and reward them.  The two most critical things to AROS are the number of developers and free time for those developers.  UAE integration is in standby till the developer can free up enough time to work on the entire project.  It will be a huge relief to me once he makes the announcement that he is officially starting.  I rather see the monies collected in the pockets of our developers then sitting in a paypal account.  

Energy and persistence conquer all things.

Dammy
Dammy

Offline bhoggett

• Show only replies by bhoggett
    • http://www.midnightmu.com
« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2006, 12:35:23 AM »
@Piru:

Only if it was for sale, and it isn't.

Fair enough, yet that doesn't change the fact the porting AROS to Efika is an utterly futile exercise for AROS development and progress and would not even happen if it wasn't for certain peoples predilection to throw some money around for cheap publicity.

Ultimately, no one will use AROS on Efika and ARIS will benefit nothing from the port. BBRV gets the usual flah of publicity and some AROS programmer(s) get to work on a pointless project instead of something that will actually be useful.

While I accept Fabio's point that it is asn't "an AROS decision" because no one makes policy decisions, it is damaging to AROS progress nevertheless. IMHO, the lack of policy making in the AROS project is one of its greatest weaknesses.
Bill Hoggett

Offline Tomas

• Show only replies by Tomas
« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2006, 12:50:16 AM »
I sadly agree completely with bhoggett.

Offline falemagn

• Show only replies by falemagn
    • http://www.aros.org/
« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2006, 01:24:21 AM »

bhoggett wrote:
While I accept Fabio's point that it is asn't "an AROS decision" because no one makes policy decisions, it is damaging to AROS progress nevertheless. IMHO, the lack of policy making in the AROS project is one of its greatest weaknesses.

Bill,

AROS is Open Source, this means that anyone can take its sources and do whatever he wants with it, even port it to the Efika. On the same fashion, anyone is free to offer as much money as he wants in order to incentive the port: there's an offer waiting for demand, a demand which might not be there at all in the first place.

In fact, if you haven't noticed it, no one has taken up on the bounty yet.

It would be damaging to AROS if and only if

1) someone had taken up on the bounty

and

2) by accepting the bounty, that person would subtract valuable time to other kind of AROS development.

Considering that (1) hasn't happened yet and (2) is quite unlikely to be the case, there's simply no damage being done.

I personally don't have any interest in porting AROS to the Efika, and if I have to go for the money I will certainly go for the bigger one, and that's not the bounty we're talking about.

Offline spihunter

• Show only replies by spihunter
« Reply #40 on: December 08, 2006, 03:01:52 AM »
I agree w/ bhoggett on this as well.

I would rather see the AROS folks use there effort to the x86 version then waste their time with this.

This board is just for hobbist wanting a cheap PPC motherboard to run a more up to date amiga system then their current 68k 060 system. With a good bit of backward capability at the same time?

Offline dammy

« Reply #41 on: December 08, 2006, 04:15:43 AM »
I would rather see the AROS folks use there effort to the x86 version then waste their time with this.

My favorite arch port is  underway.  It's a total of one developer.  PPC is going to take, again, one developer.  I wouldn't be suprised if the developer who takes on the EFIKA bounty will be mostly interested in PPC and who currently only works on AROS PPC.  In other words, AROS won't lose much, if anything and it does appear to draw user app developers to AROS itself. IMO, I see this as a win-win for AROS.  

Dammy
TeamAROS
Dammy

Offline coldfish

• Show only replies by coldfish
« Reply #42 on: December 08, 2006, 05:44:35 AM »
I dont see how an EFIKA port adversely affects AROS development as a whole.  Any contribution is good.

Some of you guys are looking at it as though teamAROS is a buisiness with limited resources, -deliberately directing- funds into a low-priority project.

That isn't the case, bounties are driven by demand and subsequent donations for that bounty's cause.  If there was no EFIKA bounty, it wouldnt necessarily follow that those monies would have been donated to another bounty, more likely they wouldnt have been donated at all.

People interested enough in AROS to donate their hard-earned should be able to choose whatever bounty they want, those not contributing money or time, just have to take what comes.

If you guys really do want UAE and browser support, send in some cash, otherwise your opinions tend to sound a bit...

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
« Reply #43 on: December 08, 2006, 08:43:57 AM »
@ bhoggett

Ultimately, no one will use AROS on Efika and ARIS will benefit nothing from the port.

Hollywood and the Efika is a *perfect match* IMHO. It could function as a foundation for a whole new industry รก la SCALA. Who knows whether it will be possible for an eager entrepreneur to reach a reasonable OEM agreement with the MorphOS/OS4 teams? In this context I definitely see a point in having a free (both as in "free of charge", as well as "open source") Amiga operating system running on the Efika, and in this context I also think that AROS itself would be a winner. It would gain attention, and if it actually becomes a component in a commercial product (and if that product becomes a hit), then maybe some sponsored development might start to happen?

A lot of "if's" here, but all in all, in a worst case scenario, an Efika port won't make much difference. In a best case scenario it will. However, it can never be a bad thing though.

(Note, a prerequisite is of course that the Hollywood applications can be run in a same way as they can on MorphOS, ie that AROS offers enough underlying infrastructure, drivers, etc)
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

Offline falemagn

• Show only replies by falemagn
    • http://www.aros.org/
« Reply #44 from previous page: December 08, 2006, 09:08:13 AM »
@ takemehomegrandma

Hollywood already runs on AROS.

However, AROS itself already runs on the Efika too, albeit under Linux, so what would AROS running on the bare hw offer more than it running under Linux? It will rather offer less: less drivers, no virtual memory (as in swappable memory), less ability to track bugs down by means of a debugger, etc...