Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: [Solved] My new ST2320L crashes connected Amigas?!  (Read 3392 times)

Description:

Offline ciVicTopic starter

• Show only replies by ciVic
[Solved] My new ST2320L crashes connected Amigas?!
« on: March 07, 2012, 07:06:40 AM »
Hi all,

I've bought the 23" Monitor ST2320L from Dell since it can display the good old PAL screens. But when it is connected during startup it crashes my Amigas. I tested it with two A4000D. Both cannot show the Early Boot Screen, they reset in a loop. When I disconnect the monitor they can boot, and then I can connect the monitor and see my good old PAL screen. Can somebody help me? It's not very comfortable to disconnect the monitor on every boot.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 09:07:52 AM by ciVic »

Offline Piru

• \' union select name,pwd--
    • Show only replies by Piru
    • http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/
Re: My new ST2320L crashes connected Amigas?!
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 07:27:04 AM »
Quote from: ciVic;682764
Hi all,

I've bought the 23" Monitor ST2320L from Dell since it can display the good old PAL screens. But when it is connected during startup it crashes my Amigas.
All I can think of is that there is a potential difference (ground loop) between the grounding of the amigas and the monitor. Try connecting them both to same grounded power strip and see if that helps.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 07:29:08 AM by Piru »

Offline Zac67

• Show only replies by Zac67
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 07:33:48 AM »
Possibly too much load on the sync lines, so the Amigas try to sync to a non-existant genlock.

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2012, 08:20:50 AM »
Quote from: Zac67;682766
Possibly too much load on the sync lines, so the Amigas try to sync to a non-existant genlock.

Sounds possible, but sounds as there is no solution (besides unplugging the monitor)?

Offline bbond007

• Show only replies by bbond007
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2012, 08:40:28 AM »
Hi all,

I've bought the 23" Monitor ST2320L from Dell since it can display the good old PAL screens. But when it is connected during startup it crashes my Amigas. I tested it with two A4000D. Both cannot show the Early Boot Screen, they reset in a loop. When I disconnect the monitor they can boot, and then I can connect the monitor and see my good old PAL screen. Can somebody help me? It's not very comfortable to disconnect the monitor on every boot.

Do you have a different 9pin video converter you can try? I somewhat recall that being an issue with some of those adapters... I may be way off base, but its worth a shot.

Offline Daedalus

• Show only replies by Daedalus
    • http://www.robthenerd.com
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2012, 09:03:17 AM »
@ciVic

Are you using some sort of adaptor in between the RGB port and the monitor? Some adaptors use transistors on the sync lines to buffer them and prevent the Amiga from thinking it had a genlock attached - maybe you need something like this?

If you're handy with a soldering iron, there are schematics for this sort of adaptor on Aminet...
Engineers do it with precision
--
http://www.robthenerd.com

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2012, 09:26:22 AM »
Unfortunately I only have one adapter. The adapter itself, without a monitor, does not crash the Amiga, but I think that does not mean anything. I could put a transistor on my adapter on my own, but maybe there is one from amigakit or vesalia I could buy? Would be easier. Or maybe I should buy a genlock, then my Amiga has something to sync :laugh1:

PS: For my original Zorro Busboard I have a flicker fixer. Plugged into this card I have no problems.

Offline Daedalus

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2012, 09:55:23 AM »
Fair enough, maybe you could check the adaptor you have to see if it's connected straight through or if it contains transistors. My bet is that it's just connected straight through (or possibly with resistors on some lines) rather than being buffered.

Just had a look at AmigaKit's website - they don't specify whether their adaptor is buffered, so maybe send them a mail to find out. A quick search of Aminet gave me these: ami2vga.lha and VGA_Hack.lha both use a TTL chip to do the buffering job, which probably works very well and shouldn't be too difficult to build...
--

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2012, 12:52:23 PM »
Interestingly, I just encountered the same problem. My adapter is a straight-through pin-to-pin. Plugged between the A2000 and my SR2320L, the machine will fail to start the boot process. At first I thought it was the monitor, but then I tried with another LCD screen I had and got the same result.

This is a commercially purchased adapter - needless to say I am VERY disappointed.

Offline Daedalus

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2012, 01:05:52 PM »
Yeah, many years ago I had that issue with a particular monitor. Can't remember what make it was now, but it had me baffled for quite a while until I borrowed another monitor which worked perfectly. Buffering the sync lines solved it for me - perhaps it's only the odd screen that has issues, I haven't come across one which caused that issue since then...
--

Offline mechy

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2012, 02:58:32 PM »
Hi all,

It is more than likely the adapter, i use these monitors with the C= silver vga adapter 390682-01 and they all work fine.

These adapters use a 74hct08 chip and ceramic disc cap in them to buffer the signals.

mech

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show only replies by runequester
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2012, 04:56:50 PM »
The VGA adapter I use was purchased from Vesalia and works great. I believe amigakit has them as well, but you'll probably want to email them first.

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2012, 05:03:57 PM »
Quote from: runequester;682806
The VGA adapter I use was purchased from Vesalia and works great. I believe amigakit has them as well, but you'll probably want to email them first.

Do you know if it also uses the 74hct08? I live in germany, therefore I would buy it at vesalia anyway. Would be great.

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show only replies by runequester
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2012, 05:05:18 PM »
Quote from: ciVic;682807
Do you know if it also uses the 74hct08? I live in germany, therefore I would buy it at vesalia anyway. Would be great.

My technical knowledge is basically zero, sorry.

I've used it with an external scan doubler, with a cheap Acer LCD (in VGA mode) and now on the 2320.

Offline bbond007

• Show only replies by bbond007
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2012, 05:20:03 PM »
Quote from: ciVic;682773
Unfortunately I only have one adapter. The adapter itself, without a monitor, does not crash the Amiga, but I think that does not mean anything. I could put a transistor on my adapter on my own, but maybe there is one from amigakit or vesalia I could buy? Would be easier. Or maybe I should buy a genlock, then my Amiga has something to sync :laugh1:

PS: For my original Zorro Busboard I have a flicker fixer. Plugged into this card I have no problems.

I have the same dell 2320  and the silver adapter from amigakit and my 1200 boots just fine. Hope thst helps