Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: [A1200] cdrw-drive refuses to write  (Read 971 times)

Description:

Offline JiffyTopic starter

• Show only replies by Jiffy
    • http://clausewitz.nl
[A1200] cdrw-drive refuses to write
« on: July 19, 2005, 12:31:06 PM »
Subject says all... :-(

My current config:
A1200 with Blizzard 1260/50, including the optional SCSI-card and 128 MB fastram, OS 3.9 and MakeCD (latest version).

I connected a cd-romdrive, a 100 MB zipdrive, a 230 MB MO-drive, an 18 GB hardisk, a HP5P scanner and a Plextor 12/4/32 cdrw-drive to the Blizzard's SCSI card. All of the SCSI-hardware is working nicely, except for the Plextor not being able to write _anything_ to either cd-r or cd-rw media or even being able to empty a cd-rw...

The Plextordrive has the latest firmware. Softwareside: I run OS 3.9 with the latest version of MakeCD (both original, ofcourse). The Plextor can read cd's (both audio & data) without any problems, but it fails immediately after trying to write anything to cd-r(w). The drive works nicely if tested in a bog-standard SCSI-equiped Windows NT4 pc.

Termination of the SCSI-chain is ok (only the HP5P), all hardware has their own SCS-id (0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 6 and 7). I tested an older Matsushita CD-R drive, but this also refuses to write to any CD-R(W) on my Amiga, while working perfect on a 'normal' pc.

I know I'm missing something, but WHAT?!? Some setting in MakeCD? I enlarged the buffers, but to no avail. Apart from that, even blanking a cdrw doesn't work, something which has nothing to do with large of small buffers.

/me smashes head into brick wall repeatedly...
Life sucks. Then you die. Then they throw mud in your face. Then you get eaten by worms. Be happy it happens in that order... My Amiga 1200

Offline Thomas

Re: [A1200] cdrw-drive refuses to write
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2005, 01:55:31 PM »

but it fails immediately after trying to write anything to cd-r(w).

How do you know ? What happens, what do you expect to happen ? Are there any error messages ? If yes, please post them here. Without any details one cannot help you.

Bye,
Thomas

Offline Framiga

• Show only replies by Framiga
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2005, 02:51:00 PM »
Hi Jiffy

which makecdromfs.module version do you have installed?

45.11 is broken.

And which SCSI driver?

EDIT- sorry for the obvious query but . . . have you already used and configured MakeCD in the past, with another CDWriter?

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2005, 03:03:53 PM »

How do you know ?

Because after it fails, there's nothing written to the cd-r(w). Any cd-r I have tried so far is as blank as it was when I first opened its jewelcase, i.e. there is absolutel nothing written to cd-r, not even a partial lead-in or a part of any file. There's absolutely nothing written to the cd-r: if I put it in an ancient 1 speed cd-writer which only supports singlesession burning, it can happily burn away with the exact same cd-r. I have only been able to blank CD-RWs with the Plextordrive if the drive was connected to one of my pc's SCSI-controllers...

What happens,

After starting to burn a cd-r(w) or blanking a cd-rw, the sourcefile (on harddisk or cd-rom if trying an on-the-fly copy) starts to fill the buffer. When the buffer is filled up to 100%, it tries to write to the Plextor, which never succeeds.

what do you expect to happen ?

I expect to at least be able to blank a cd-rw or put some files on cd-r... :-D

Are there any error messages ? If yes, please post them here.

As I am not sitting in front of my A1200 at the moment, I have to do this from memory. :-) The errormessage by MakeCD that occurs when trying to blank a cd-rw is 'BLANK: not supported' or something very similar. Quite frustrating to say the least... From the errormessage, I would expect MakeCD does not recognize the Plextor as being a CD-RW drive, but it is autorecognized as _being_ a cd-rw drive!

[edit]
I suddenly remember another errormessage: 'Disk is Write-Protected'. The exact same disk works great on any of my pc's CD-RW drives...[/edit]

As it is autorecognized, I can't select another driver (although the autoselected one, CDR_SCSI3_ATAPI, should work with it).

The Plextor has SCSI-ID '0', as is mentioned in MakeCD's FAQ and I have tried it with several other IDs. Even when disconnecting all other SCSI-equipment, the problem remains.

Without any details one cannot help you.

Well... That's a little exaggerated... You can't say there aren't any details in my OP. ;-)
Anyway, if there's anything more that needs to be added to solve the problem, please let me know!

I'm beginning to think the drive is simply not compatible with MakeCD... Bummer...
Life sucks. Then you die. Then they throw mud in your face. Then you get eaten by worms. Be happy it happens in that order... My Amiga 1200

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2005, 03:12:30 PM »

Framiga wrote:
which makecdromfs.module version do you have installed?
45.11 is broken.

I have 45.12 installed.

And which SCSI driver?

1230scsi.device, version 8.5.

EDIT- sorry for the obvious query but . . . have you already used and configured MakeCD in the past, with another CDWriter?

I had a different CDWriter before the Plextor (a Matsushita 4 speed), but that drive also never worked with my A1200 (well, it could _read_ a cd, but it never was able to _burn_ one). Same problem, different drive.

Offline Framiga

• Show only replies by Framiga
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2005, 03:29:10 PM »
Why you can't change the driver type?

Click on the "down-arrow" on the right of the Driver and choose another one. (i.e the CDR_Plextor_Rico)

OR if really not selectable (i don't see why), change it from the MakeCD.info tooltypes.

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2005, 03:40:10 PM »

Framiga wrote:
Why you can't change the driver type?

It is not selectable. If MakeCD auto-recognizes the drive, you can't select another one this way. If it is not auto-selected, you can indeed select different drivers.

OR if really not selectable (i don't see why), change it from the MakeCD.info tooltypes.

I'll try that one. Didn't think of it. |:( |:(
;-)