Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga PCs on the way....  (Read 33023 times)

Description:

Offline Lonewolf10

• Show only replies by Lonewolf10
    • http://www.geocities.com/aliensrcooluk
Re: Amiga PCs on the way....
« Reply #44 on: September 01, 2010, 06:03:25 PM »
That sucks. Where does that leave Hyperion?

If I wanted a dull grey/black box to run AROS on I could get a cheap laptop and install it on that.

Seems to me like another case of using a well-known name to try and sell computers.

Regards,
Lonewolf10

Offline Akiko

• Show only replies by Akiko
« Reply #45 on: September 01, 2010, 06:04:15 PM »
Quote from: takemehomegrandma;577127
Yeah! Same here!

It will be a Commodore Amiga!

:)

It's puzzling but looking at their online store, I'm not seeing any Visable Commodore branding  on their products.

Anyone with pics of their machines showing the commodore logo?

Offline mongo

• Show only replies by mongo
« Reply #46 on: September 01, 2010, 06:12:25 PM »
Quote from: Lonewolf10;577131
That sucks. Where does that leave Hyperion?

Same place they've always been. I can't see this having any effect on their business at all.

Offline Tripitaka

• Show only replies by Tripitaka
    • http://acidapple.com
« Reply #47 on: September 01, 2010, 06:25:20 PM »
OOOOOHHHH... Amiga branded PC.
BLAARGH, Makes me puke!!!
A Inc. has no OS, no real product worth buying, just a name. Oh dear, the word isn't copyright now is it, it never was. It's a damn trademark, so in reality anyone could stick the word "Amiga" on any machine provided it was in a different font. You can't hold copy on the word "Amiga" any more than you can on the word "Computer" or "Girlfriend". Get a life A inc. all your doing now is spitting piss and venom, you make me sick!!

By the way, I've got a nice vinyl cutter so I can stick chicken heads and amiga labels on anything I like, I just cut then and stick them, I think I'll go and brand by toilet....fridge....door...wall...etc.. They will all be just as "Amiga" as a stinking PC!!
Falling into a dark and red rage.

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
« Reply #48 on: September 01, 2010, 06:29:27 PM »
Quote from: mongo;577130
No, it will be a PC with a sticker on it.

1) Well, at least it will be a *real* x86 PC this time, instead of some *equally* "PC-ish" computer, but built from overpriced and much poorer PPC in extremely tiny series, and at at least it will be a Commodore Amiga! :)

2) This isn't exactly the first company being in "the sticker business" around here, but this is the first one about to offer a real Commodore Amiga sticker! :D And with real, usable HW to go with it as well, probably at a price everyone can afford! :)

Probably a crappy PC at that.

Well, if that is what "small", "lean" and "low cost" means to you (judging from what CommodoreUSA has in their portfolio today, but you know, x86 scales quite far upwards if you want! :))

;)
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

Offline Tripitaka

« Reply #49 on: September 01, 2010, 06:38:46 PM »
Yeah, and you can run PC x86 stuff on it! Wow, like I haven't got one of those!

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
« Reply #50 on: September 01, 2010, 06:40:06 PM »
Quote from: Akiko;577132
It's puzzling but looking at their online store, I'm not seeing any Visable Commodore branding  on their products.

Anyone with pics of their machines showing the commodore logo?

I have no idea, but there are lots of cool brands on their site, which I think explains their idea and upcoming offerings quite well!

Here they are, linked directly from the CommodoreUSA Web Page:

Here is a thought:

Maybe 2011 will be the year of Amiga? :D

Yes?

:)
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

Offline Tripitaka

« Reply #51 on: September 01, 2010, 06:46:37 PM »
Yeah, and you can run PC x86 stuff on it!

Offline jorkany

• Show only replies by jorkany
    • http://www.amigaos4.com
« Reply #52 on: September 01, 2010, 06:53:23 PM »
Quote from: takemehomegrandma;577126
The Hyperion "settlement" was a robbery. A judicial rape, performed by lawyers (or wannabe such). The only reason Hyperion "won" (which they didn't, not really), was because Amiga Inc completely lacked the means to defend themselves after a certain point. Amiga was defenseless at the end, she was lying on the ground, and Hyperion took what they wanted.

Very well put, and this is my feeling on the matter. I'm not so sure about the defenseless part though, clearly AInc. got something out of the deal - maybe we are about to see what.

Offline Piru

• \' union select name,pwd--
    • Show only replies by Piru
    • http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/
« Reply #53 on: September 01, 2010, 07:00:19 PM »
Here's my quick analysis of the situation.

The agreement first defines some things:
"Amiga Mark" means any mark owned and/or registered or licensed by or to the Amiga Parties containing the word "Amiga" whether in stylized form (figurative mark) or otherwise.

"Documentation" means the publications listed on Exhibit 4 hereof.

"Software" means Amiga OS 3.1, which is the Operating System (including without limitation its Software Architecture as described in the Documentation) originally developed, owned and marketed by Commodore Business Machines (CBM) for their Amiga line of computers In 1994.

"Software Architecture" means the structure or structures of the system, which comprise software components, the externally visible properties of those components (i.e., those assumptions other elements can make of an element, such as its provided services, performance characteristics, fault handling, shared resource usage, and so on), and the relationships between them; the term also refers to documentation of a system's software architecture.

Here's the Exhibit 4:
EXHIBIT 4

LIST OF PUBLICATIONS COMPRISING THE DOCUMENTATION

1. The AmigaDOS Manual, 3rd edition,

ISBN 0-553-35403-5

2. Amiga ROM Kernel Reference Manual "Libraries", 3rd edition,

ISBN 0-201-56774-1

3. Amiga Hardware Reference Manual, 3rd edition,

ISBN 0-201-56776-8

4. Amiga ROM Kernel Reference Manual "Devices", 3rd edition,

ISBN 0-201-56775-x

5. Amiga ROM Kernel Reference Manual "Includes and Autodocs",

3rd edition, ISBN 0-201-56773-3

There is a clause:

In the event the Amiga Parties assign ownership of the Amiga Marks to a third party, including without limitation as result of a transfer by contract or by operation of law, such third party must agree in writing to be bound by the terms and conditions of this Agreement, and to assume the obligations of the Amiga Parties under this Agreement.

This means that if Commodore USA has obtained a valid license to use the name Amiga, they're now signees of the agreement.

**EDIT** Actually as a friend pointed out there is a difference between ownership and possession: "The law permits a trademark owner to license its marks as long as the owner controls the nature and quality of the goods or services bearing the marks." So this clause may not apply in this case after all. However, since the clause below includes wording "including through sub-licensing" I think the only relevance is defining the legal entity to sue in case of disagreement.

Further the agreement stipulates that:
the Amiga Parties shall during the term of this Agreement not commercialize anywhere in the world (including through sub-licensing), distribute (free of charge or otherwise) or make available to the public (free of charge or otherwise), in any way or form (including but not limited to Object Code and Source Code form), on any medium (now known or otherwise) and through any means (now known or otherwise) the Software (in part or as a whole) and any Operating System exhibiting a Software Architecture substantially similar to the Software Architecture of the Software as described in the Documentation, to the extent that such Software Architecture is protectable under the copyright laws of the United States (a "Substantially Similar Software Architecture").

At this point the case depends on the part "to the extent that such Software Architecture is protectable under the copyright laws of the United States (a "Substantially Similar Software Architecture")".

There's no denying that AROS is substantially similar. However, considering copyright laws protect implementation and not ideas, this could be a hairy case.

**EDIT2** I am not a lawyer nor have I any kind of legal training. What I've done is read the agreement document and try to identify and understand the relevant parts for this situation. That is: I could be dead wrong here. Finally, as you might have noticed I didn't even try to determine which party would ultimately be right in their claims.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 11:06:12 PM by Piru »

Offline Tripitaka

« Reply #54 on: September 01, 2010, 07:04:45 PM »
A inc failed to keep up one side of a contract and got stuffed for it. They gave us nothing but false hope and I have no sympathy for them at all. At least Hyperion have given us OS4. If these amiga branded PC's come out with OS5 on them (LMAO) and if it's better than OS4 then maybe I'll look kindly on them again but to be honest I ain't holding my breath.

Offline Tripitaka

« Reply #55 on: September 01, 2010, 07:06:38 PM »
@Piru

You make a good point, I can see little of any good comming out of this.

Offline Akiko

• Show only replies by Akiko
« Reply #56 on: September 01, 2010, 07:22:10 PM »
Quote from: Tripitaka;577147
A inc failed to keep up one side of a contract and got stuffed for it. They gave us nothing but false hope and I have no sympathy for them at all. At least Hyperion have given us OS4. If these amiga branded PC's come out with OS5 on them (LMAO) and if it's better than OS4 then maybe I'll look kindly on them again but to be honest I ain't holding my breath.

As I understand Hyperion has exclusive rights to AmigaOS, including OS5 and beyond.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 07:24:56 PM by Akiko »

Offline Tripitaka

« Reply #57 on: September 01, 2010, 07:29:09 PM »
RAOFLMAO!

Just as well I wasn't holding my breath then. XD

Offline odin

• Colonization had Galleons
    • Show only replies by odin
« Reply #58 on: September 01, 2010, 08:05:45 PM »
Aaaah, this reminds me again why I keep visiting Amiga sites. There's always something new in the Amiga-soap happening =).

/me also warm up a batch of popcorn.

Offline CSixx

• Show only replies by CSixx
« Reply #59 from previous page: September 01, 2010, 08:18:07 PM »
Quote from: jorkany;577121
Just out of curiosity, what makes you think they plan to sue CommodoreUSA? Hyperion never had an agreement with them, if Hyperion sue anyone it seems like it would be AInc.

You are probably just trying to nitpick me, but...
Hyperion suing anyone regarding this agreement affects CommodoreUSA does it not?
I couldn't care less who the actual defendants are, as long as the result is the same.

result = preventing further pollution of the Amiga name