Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: dead system - have you ever been that stupid ?  (Read 1460 times)

Description:

Offline xaccrocheurTopic starter

• Show only replies by xaccrocheur
dead system - have you ever been that stupid ?
« on: June 12, 2003, 11:39:30 AM »
Damn. this morning this 4000 won't boot, showing the old "insert disk" crappy anim that I forgot about.

Sorry very bad english ahead.

OK here we go.

3 disks in this 4000 :

One SCSI 550Mb Conner
One SCSI 4550Mb IBM
One IDE 130Mb Conner

The system was installed on both the IDE and the SCSI one (??yes, 2 systems, some guy di this)
I though it was one, when in fact it was the other one, this is the story of my life :)

So I stupidly quick-formatted the IDE drive, instead of, say unplug it and boot, just to see if any assign or anything would then prevent the machine to boot. Because boy, did it block it.

So now I'm quite stuck, as when I insert my "OS 3.9 emergency boot disk" and boot it spits "insert AmigaOS 3.9  in any drive", when the AmigaOS 3.9 CD *is* in the CD0: drive, only I suppose it is not mounted...

Is there a way to do a floppy that would "see" my (Scuzzy) CD0: so that I can re-install 3.9 ? please say YES !

So yes, this is a help call from a stupid guy who just broke his Amiga. Don't bother to yell at me, my relatives already did a pretty good job of humiliation :-(  :cry:  :boohoo:  :nervous:  :shocked:

Offline Cyberus

• Show only replies by Cyberus
Re: dead system - have you ever been that stupid ?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2003, 11:45:15 AM »
Can't you just boot from a workbench floppy, and then mount the cd drive from the shell?
I like Amigas

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2003, 11:45:50 AM »
I have a feeling that these sorts of posts are going to get more common...

All the Amiga hardware out there has lived well past it's design life...
If moving to modern system isn't your bag, then emulation is the way to go  :boohoo:

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2003, 12:18:20 PM »
Huh, BLine, don't say things like that, it scares the hell out of me.
We will replace every silicon bit one at a time but the old thing will keep humming, I said. 8-x)

@Cyberus

Well no, when I try "list CD0:" all I get is a dialog asking me to insert anything in CD0:...

On the other hand it's understandable since the CD drive is SCSI...

I really need a refresher here. Do I need to copy anything from "extra" to SYS:devs ?

If the CD drive were IDE, would WB3.1 mount it & see it right away ? Because if yes, then I'd rip a CD player off one of my PCs and try it out.

Thank you for your help

Offline Thomas

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2003, 12:21:10 PM »

You probably created the emergency disk some time before you changed your CD-ROM setup. You always have to create a new emergency disk if you change your setup.

Now you must fix the disk by hand. You must know the name of the driver (e.g. scsi.device) and the unit number of the CD-ROM (the SCSI ID). Then open the CD0 file on your emergency disk with an editor and change DEVICE=whatever to DEVICE=yourdriver and UNIT=whatever to UNIT=yourscsiid. Note: it may well be that the CD-ROM moutfile on the emergency disk is not called CD0 but EMERGENCY_CD, so use this if you don't find CD0.

Of course to load an editor you must boot the Amiga. You should use a Workbench floppy as suggested before.

Bye,
Thomas

Offline redrumloa

• Original Omega User
    • Show only replies by redrumloa
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2003, 12:37:24 PM »
As suggested try booting from a WB floppy. If you have OS3.1 handy try booting from INSTALL disk. Once you do that look in HD toolbox as a start to see if all devices are present.

So yes, this is a help call from a stupid guy who just broke his Amiga. Don't bother to yell at me, my relatives already did a pretty good job of humiliation

Not stupid! Old hardware fails, it's a fact. IMO don't let anyone yell at you! Tell them if they are so damn smart they can easily help you out. If they can't help you out tell them to shut the hell up :-D
Someone has to state the obvious and that someone is me!

Offline BouncingAyatollah

• Show only replies by BouncingAyatollah
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2003, 12:38:56 PM »
As Thomas said you can try modifying the CD driver on the Emergency CD to match your CD's "something.device" and unit number etc. 1st

However that might not work if the DOSdriver on the E-Disk is not compatible with the "something.device" that your CD expects (if it expects a particular one). i.e. Modifying, say, a CacheCDFS CD0 driver and using it with, say, a CD expecting gvpscsi.device may not work. In that case if you know where the "something.device" is and the related DOS driver for your CD (on an install floppy maybe) you can put those on the E-Disk ("something.device" in Devs/ and CD0 or whatever in Devs/DOSdrivers). I think that's right, if not I'm sure someone will let me know! :-)

Apart from this, if you only did a QUICK format on the IDE drive, if you have any disk recovery software on bootable floppy there is a good chance you could just recover the system using that?
\\"Whose souls, albeit in a cloudy memory, yet seek back their good,
but, like drunk men, know not the road home.\\" -- BOETHIUS

Offline PMC

• Show only replies by PMC
    • http://www.b3ta.com
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2003, 01:05:21 PM »
All the Amiga hardware out there has lived well past it's design life...

That is the scary thing.  I've an A500 pushing it's sixteenth birthday, another just turned thirteen and my two A1200's are ten years old.  That's a combined age of Forty Nine years.  From four Amigas!

Seriously though, despite all the busboards and accelerator cards that we update our systems with, the motherboard is always the oldest part.  Not only that, but I'm reliant on floppy drives, power supplies, keyboards etc of similar vintage.  Even my Mediator A1200 still has it's original floppy plugged in.  

I'll just hang on a little longer, as it's not as if spares are in short supply in my house right now!
Cecilia for President

Re: dead system - IT WORKED ! THANKS GUYS !
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2003, 01:41:24 PM »
Yes !

Just doing what you told me to do did the trick, I am now under OS3.9 looking at my CD's icon !

You cannot realize how you saved my day.

KEWL !

Thanks all of you !  :pint:  :pint:  :pint:  (well, you're paying the 4th, c'mon:)

pX

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2003, 02:06:04 PM »
I once fried an a1200 mobo with a dodgy PC PSU - the voltage rails were connected the right way but the PSU iself was bad...

Didn't stop me from trying it....DO'h!

So, yes, I have been that stupid and worse ;-) heh, just look at the Medic! thread to see what I mean :lol:
int p; // A

Offline amigamad

• Show only replies by amigamad
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2003, 02:49:51 PM »
I have a feeling that these sorts of posts are going to get more common...

emulation is never as good as a real machine and analogic do amiga repairs.Anyway system is not broke he just formated a drive and lost a boot partition may be you should try the freeware version of disksalv.
I once had an amigaone xe but sold it .

http://www.tamiyaclub.com

Offline Cass

• Show only replies by Cass
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2003, 05:01:31 PM »
I tried to use the emergency-disk for the 3.5 WB I had prepared before, and all I got was a black out-of-scan-range screen, and no disk reading... What happened?

The monitor setup was ok, and installed on devs:monitors/ so was the devs:dosdrivers/emergency_disk (if i remeber correctly its name), BUT it was missing the devs:atapi.device !!!
(boot, before initializing the screen -P96-, with a "insert volume Emergency_disk:" request on a Pal screen!)

This must be a faulty Installer script on the OS3.5 (Create Emergency Disk).
________
Extreme q vaporizer
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 09:26:24 PM by Cass »
"If we don't got it, you don't want it!"

Offline Cass

• Show only replies by Cass
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2003, 05:02:45 PM »
I tried to use the emergency-disk for the 3.5 WB I had prepared before, and all I got was a black out-of-scan-range screen, and no disk reading... What happened?

The monitor setup was ok, and installed on devs:monitors/ so was the devs:dosdrivers/EMERGENCY_CD, BUT it was missing the devs:atapi.device !!!
(boot, before initializing the screen -P96-, with a "insert volume EMERGENCY_CD:" request on a Pal screen!)

This must be a faulty Installer script on the OS3.5 (Create Emergency Disk).

I tried to rename the wrong cd-name, but I got a double post (althought I pressed the edit button)! Any moderator on-line may erase my previous post, thnx.

________
Big tits movie
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 09:26:37 PM by Cass »
"If we don't got it, you don't want it!"

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2003, 05:32:49 PM »
Why are idiots telling such a bullshit here.
If I format my harddrive the old Amiga hardware is at fault?
If I use an emulator and format a harddisk what happens then?

Offline PMC

• Show only replies by PMC
    • http://www.b3ta.com
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2003, 05:50:24 PM »
analogic do amiga repairs

Not wishing to sound libellous here but be VERY careful when dealing with Analogic!  They tried to rip me off with a duff 68060 card a while back, and I've read three posts from other guys reporting problems with them in the past.

If you do send them a dead system, remove the hard drives, extra memory etc first and make sure everything is intact upon return.
Cecilia for President