Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: I want to make a game for the classic Amiga.  (Read 3468 times)

Description:

Offline AmigaClassicRuleTopic starter

• Show only replies by AmigaClassicRule
I want to make a game for the classic Amiga.
« on: December 17, 2012, 10:42:43 PM »
I am going to be purchasing PureBasic for the Amiga and I want to develop a full blown game for the calssic Amiga. It is going to be AGA running with 64 colors however I do not know where to begin.

Can someone point out to me what type of game the community like the most: RPG, Fighting, Racing, etc? If you guys could give me your input in ideas, plot, game type it would be great to help me get in the right direction.

Thanks.

Offline som99

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by som99
    • http://www.som99.se
Re: I want to make a game for the classic Amiga.
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2012, 10:47:18 PM »
I love RPG's the most, I would love a new game like "Excelsior Phase Two", I love that angle and game style :)

Btw I love that game, not many have played or know about it, ive completed it at every class and own a genuine copy :)

Offline Blinx123

• Show only replies by Blinx123
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2012, 11:00:30 PM »
Quote from: som99;719500
I love RPG's the most, I would love a new game like "Excelsior Phase Two", I love that angle and game style :)

Btw I love that game, not many have played or know about it, ive completed it at every class and own a genuine copy :)

Dude.
Admit it. You're my long lost twinbrother ;)

I loved that game.
Don't own a genuine copy, unfortunately. But from what little I remember of it, it was pretty darn good.

Another all-time favourite would be Ultima VI: The False Prophet. The fact that you could recruit a mouse (Sherry the Mouse, to be exact) into your lines of battle steeled soldiers made it all the more awesome.

@AmigaClassicRule

It all depends on your expertise and your personal taste.
No sense in creating a game in a genre you don't like.

Likewise, an overly complicated free-roaming RPG might not be the best practice for a newbie.

Personally, I'd like to see a new platformer or (and that's kind of selfish, as the main reason I even wish for it is so that I've a reason to finish my own game faster) a graphical text adventure.

EDIT: What I'd also love to see is a commercial game made in Sierra's SCI engine. Though I don't really know the terms of use and whether it's even permitted to publish a commercial game made in it.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 11:22:18 PM by Blinx123 »
Sam: \\"You crack me up little buddy\\"
Max: \\"I love you Sam\\"

Offline som99

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2012, 12:18:21 AM »
Quote from: Blinx123;719502
Dude.
Admit it. You're my long lost twinbrother ;)

I loved that game.
Don't own a genuine copy, unfortunately. But from what little I remember of it, it was pretty darn good.

Another all-time favourite would be Ultima VI: The False Prophet. The fact that you could recruit a mouse (Sherry the Mouse, to be exact) into your lines of battle steeled soldiers made it all the more awesome.

Who knows I might be ;) You are the first one who ive heard who also have played Excelsior! :D
It was good and quite big indeed with quite some dungeons to explore :) I must also agree that Ultima VI is a splendid game! I have played it a lot :)

We seem to share some of same taste :D

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2012, 12:25:47 AM »
RPG's are amongst my favorite, though I'd love to see more futuristic/dystopian themed RPG's like Shadowrun as opposed to more fantasy/mid-evil based ones. But that's just me...

...not that I don't love my Ultima's and all...

...oh man, if only classic Amiga had a port of Exult! Not sure if it could handle it though.

Either way, I'm glad to see you have the interest in developing for AGA Amigas!!! :)
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2012, 12:36:30 AM »
I think ultimately you're going to do better if you figure out what kind of game you want to make, and go with that.

That said, it'd be awfully nice to see a good tactical RPG for the Amiga ;)
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline Blinx123

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2012, 12:46:17 AM »
Another thing that would be nice (though you'll probably need a somewhat recent PC, since classic Amiga raytraces take way too long):

A Myst'esque point and click adventure.

I think that's what I'm doing some day. Although, I'll probably use Amiga Vision* or Hollywood.

*Strangely, I've never seen a commercial application on the Amiga utilizing Amiga Vision Professional.
Which is rather sad, as it had great potential (what with being a major competitor to Hypercard).
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 12:51:25 AM by Blinx123 »

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2012, 02:08:00 AM »
Quote from: som99;719500

I am going to be complete honest with you guys, YOU HAVE THE SAME TASTE AS ME :d :D :D. This is MY FAVORITE STYLE GAME EVER and I am INTO RPG LIKE NO TOMORROW.

I will start plans on making a game like that screenshot. I will develop everything on paper (game concept, style, engine and coding on paper)...and work on it as soon as I get my hands on PureBasic within couple of months. :D

RPG it is!

Offline som99

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2012, 02:47:10 AM »
Quote from: AmigaClassicRule;719529
I am going to be complete honest with you guys, YOU HAVE THE SAME TASTE AS ME :d :D :D. This is MY FAVORITE STYLE GAME EVER and I am INTO RPG LIKE NO TOMORROW.

I will start plans on making a game like that screenshot. I will develop everything on paper (game concept, style, engine and coding on paper)...and work on it as soon as I get my hands on PureBasic within couple of months. :D

RPG it is!

Ahh! Yeah :) One more with our taste :)
I love that style also, I will look forward to see your progress! Good luck, and hope you get PureBasic asap, BTW you aint considering using AMOS?

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2012, 02:55:46 AM »
Quote from: som99;719530
Ahh! Yeah :) One more with our taste :)
I love that style also, I will look forward to see your progress! Good luck, and hope you get PureBasic asap, BTW you aint considering using AMOS?

The thing is I need to build two things:

1. Engine
2. Editor

Before actually making the game. The editor have to build and run in WB screen, I do not think AMOS will give me that. Also I need to access HD during game play mode such as loading map, save/load game and so on....

Offline som99

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2012, 03:37:02 AM »
Quote from: AmigaClassicRule;719532

1. Engine
2. Editor

Before actually making the game. The editor have to build and run in WB screen, I do not think AMOS will give me that. Also I need to access HD during game play mode such as loading map, save/load game and so on....

OK, tho I think it would be doable in AMOS pro, but do it as planned it will work out best for you :)
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 03:55:49 AM by som99 »

Offline som99

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2012, 03:49:29 AM »
Quote from: AmigaClassicRule;719532

1. Engine
2. Editor

Everything is possible, I don't see why you couldn't do that with AMOS :)

Tho of course you shall do it your way :)

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2012, 05:43:29 AM »
Quote from: som99;719540
OK, tho I think it would be doable in AMOS pro, but do it as planned it will work out best for you :)

I have some questions to ask about AMOS Pro.

1) Where can I get the full version of AMOS Pro?
2) Does it come with examples and manual (PDF) in case I need to use them for help reference?
3) If I wish to post questions to help me using AMOS Pro is there a full active community with a forum I can post questions there?
4) Would I be able to develop Workbench application?
5) Could I access the hard drive, I/O functions to save/load while blitting sprite?
6) Is it an object oriented language allowing me to make classes and functions to be called anywhere in the program?
7) Is it a compiler or an interpreter?

If all of these questions are answered where the result makes me happy as it gives me all the tool I need to make my project then I will use AMOS instead.

Thanks in advance.

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2012, 05:55:27 AM »
Going to have your hands full using Basic, but I wish you the best of luck.

Offline Blinx123

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2012, 08:30:40 AM »
Have you looked into Amiblitz 3?

It's much more up to date than AMOS (even supports RTG, I think) and way faster.