Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Windows Virus' Description  (Read 2078 times)

Description:

Offline jd997ukTopic starter

• Show only replies by jd997uk
Windows Virus' Description
« on: January 20, 2003, 11:16:58 AM »
I'm currently being bugged (pun intended ;~) by what I think is a virus. The following is a description of what is happening:
AVG6.0 will not run - every time you open it, the AVG Control Centre is de-activated. If you activate it, it starts to run, then promptly vanishes.
Other anti-virus software cannot be installed, the installer simply fails.
Web-based AV solutions fail as well.
If you open task manager to have a nose at any suspicious processes, it simply vanishes.
And finally, Internet Explorer. I’m able to access the web as per normal, without any weird effects. EXCEPT, if I go to any of the AV sites, it bombs out (vanishes). Do a Google search on say ‘Anti-virus bootdisk’ and within 30 seconds, it’s gone.

All the above are hallmarks of many viruses from over the years, it’s just trying to nail down where it’s coming from.
Anyone know of a good Antivirus Boot Up Disk solution?

-john
Don\\\'t panic - bite the towel.

Offline dezignersrepublic

• Show only replies by dezignersrepublic
    • http://www.findingthem.com
Re: Windows Virus' Description
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2003, 11:53:27 AM »
Looks as though you have been infected with the new avril lavigne virus which shuts down any anti virus software and stops you from installing any.

My brother had this aswell, I remember seeing a bootdisk on the net about getting arounf it but cant remember where m'fraid.

My bro used the old format and reinstall trick...
--

Offline jd997ukTopic starter

• Show only replies by jd997uk
Re: Windows Virus' Description
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2003, 12:10:51 PM »
@dezignersrepublic
My bro used the old format and reinstall trick...

Yup, I've been doing that all bloody weekend. I bought new hardware and have spent since Wednesday sorting this out. After talking to a few people, my suspicions look to have been confirmed. I'm on a clean install as of this morning, however I really need to know where to get a boot disk AV solution to take home with me from work, just in case something goes wrong again :~/
I'm not going to install _anything_ until this is resolved as the pain of installing it again is too much to bear......... and I've still got to go through the horrors of checking through all my CDR's and CDRW's and find which ones are infected.

Oh, those winter nights are just gonna fly by.........

-john
Don\\\'t panic - bite the towel.