Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Completely off topic...but is Windows XP dead?  (Read 7020 times)

Description:

Offline gertsy

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by gertsy
    • http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/~gbakker64/
Re: Completely off topic...but is Windows XP dead?
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2013, 01:28:21 PM »
Quote from: ral-clan;723797

So - is the ONLY really compelling reason to upgrade to a later version of Windows (if you're happy with older software) the lack of security patches?

Nup, Lack of driver support for new hardware is the biggy. And growing...

I like your usage profile, simular to mine.  I have still have Windows 98 apps (32 bit) that run fine on Win8.  Studio 5 is one example.  In fact I haven't had an XP app/game I've purchased, that I can think of, not run on Vista-Win7-Win8.

PS: It's more modern apps that want you to upgrade and try to block you from installing older versions of their app on new OS's.  Nero is one example. But they are usually easy to get around.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 01:32:53 PM by gertsy »

Offline pVC

« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2013, 01:30:15 PM »
Quote from: ral-clan;723797
So - is the ONLY really compelling reason to upgrade to a later version of Windows (if you're happy with older software) the lack of security patches?

IMHO, in the most cases, yes. And when it's Windows we're talking, it feels quite forcing reason :(
Daily MorphOS user and Amiga active.

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2013, 01:36:31 PM »
Actually, XP is pretty dead.
If you have a CD that pre-date SP3, you've got to manually install SP3.
It doesn't always work correctly.
And in a little over a year, updates for SP3 stop.

A good run, but it about done.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline LoadWB

• Show only replies by LoadWB
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2013, 01:37:52 PM »
No.

Offline psxphill

« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2013, 02:29:02 PM »
Quote from: AmigaClassicRule;723767
I mean I love Windows 7. Windows 7 is an awesome operating system and I hate Windows 8 with the greatest of passion, but Windows XP is a great Windows OS too and wondering if it is really dead now?

Windows 8 is great and I don't miss the start menu at all now, I tried various methods of resurrecting it during the beta days but after installing the release candidates and then RTM I just stopped bothering with it. Anything new takes a while to get used to, I remember people complaining about the start menu in 1995.

XP might not be dead, but I haven't used it in 6 years. The number of users is decreasing, but at what point do you class an operating system as dead? Office 2013 is not supported on XP, I'm sure a lot of companies who still release software for it will stop soon as well.

Offline AmigaClassicRuleTopic starter

• Show only replies by AmigaClassicRule
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2013, 02:42:54 PM »
I do not get it. What happens if it indeed security patches are no longer supported? Does this make Windows XP unusable if you login to the internet and it is 100% guaranteed you will be under attack right away that forces you to upgrade OS?

Offline Pentad

« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2013, 02:51:08 PM »
I too like Windows XP but it is growing old with security issues that Windows 7 (for example) does not have.  When support for Windows XP end on 04/14, just watch the attacks fly!   The slime that write the virii and malware know how popular Windows XP is so they are going to prey on people who do not upgrade.  They know without MS supporting XP, it will be an easy target.

I read that Windows XP with just SP1 attached to the Internet can be remotely owned by someone in around 20 mins.

It was a great version of Windows that is sadly showing its age...

-P
Linux User (Arch & OpenSUSE TW) - WinUAE via WINE

Offline Ral-Clan

• Show only replies by Ral-Clan
    • http://www3.sympatico.ca/clarke-santin/
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2013, 03:05:52 PM »
Quote from: Pentad;723812
I too like Windows XP but it is growing old with security issues that Windows 7 (for example) does not have.  When support for Windows XP end on 04/14, just watch the attacks fly!   The slime that write the virii and malware know how popular Windows XP is so they are going to prey on people who do not upgrade.  They know without MS supporting XP, it will be an easy target.

I read that Windows XP with just SP1 attached to the Internet can be remotely owned by someone in around 20 mins.

-P

That's so sad and I really hope it's not as bad as you say.
I really want to continue using XP for as long as possible.
I guess that's one advantage of a fring OS like AmigaOS. It's so on the fringes no one bothers to write malware for it.

I wonder if anyone's still bothering to write malware / attack Win98 computers.
Music I've made using Amigas and other retro-instruments: http://theovoids.bandcamp.com

« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2013, 03:10:42 PM »
Quote from: Pentad;723812

-P

Why I have this conspiracy feeling that Microsoft itself is hiring these people to attack people who still use Windows XP to force them to buy and upgrade to a newer version of Windows?

I do not know, it does not seem far fetched if you think about it.

Offline som99

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by som99
    • http://www.som99.se
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2013, 03:30:59 PM »
I use nLite to strip Windows XP so ir requires minimal HDD space and a low amount of ram.

I have a Thin Client with a low power mobile AMD 1GHz CPU (not fast) and 128MB ram and 1GB ATA flash storage.

Shrinked Windows XP keeping functionality down to 200MB HDD install and 50MB ram usage and it flied quick on the Thin Client.

Later I added put 1GB ram in the machine and 10x 2TB hdds with USB adapters and now I am using the thin client as a Torrent seedbox, works perfectly and does not consume much power, perfect as a seedbox :)

If anyone want a quick Windows XP but do not want to use nLite check out "TinyXP", runs great and requires very little.

So for me WIndows XP works great for a lot of things, good compability for new software and a small footprint is a great combo for slower machines :)
You can shrink Windows 7 a lot also but it's more heavy overall and not needed on slower machines, Windows 7 did run like crap on a 766MHz Transmeta Crusoe CPU with 128MB ram and Rage XL graphics chip but WXP ran nice, W98 was to limited and Linux had drivers issues.

Well yeah I like buying Thin Clients and use them as standalone PC's ;)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 03:39:05 PM by som99 »

Offline polyp2000

• Show only replies by polyp2000
    • https://soundcloud.com/polyp/sets/polyp-2013
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2013, 03:37:04 PM »
I mean I love Windows 7. Windows 7 is an awesome operating system and I hate Windows 8 with the greatest of passion, but Windows XP is a great Windows OS too and wondering if it is really dead now?

I didnt think in my lifetime i would hear anyone state that they "love" (any version) windows with such passion! Ill reserve my own opinions on what comes out of Redmond for fear of starting a flame war - but I just thought most people used Windows did so because it was de-facto - not because it was particularly good.  All this coming from an Amiga fan ... sheesh - what is the world coming to !

« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2013, 03:42:14 PM »
Quote from: polyp2000;723819
I didnt think in my lifetime i would hear anyone state that they "love" (any version) windows with such passion! Ill reserve my own opinions on what comes out of Redmond for fear of starting a flame war - but I just thought most people used Windows did so because it was de-facto - not because it was particularly good.  All this coming from an Amiga fan ... sheesh - what is the world coming to !

No offense polyp2000, but Windows XP deserves a little loving and so does Windows 7. They are after all great OSes. In the world of PC and the huge market for software and games, we need good OS (unless going to an alternate OS which limits you in apps and games) and so far Windows XP and 7 have won the prize in the world of Windows and PC. Thus the least I could do is just love it.

I have had very little troubles with Windows XP either from crashing to whatever you name it. Doesn't that give me justifying to love it for this at least? Through Windows XP I am managing to import movies to run on A1200, doesn't it at least deserve this credit of love?

Offline Ral-Clan

• Show only replies by Ral-Clan
    • http://www3.sympatico.ca/clarke-santin/
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2013, 03:46:42 PM »
The only thing about old versions of Windows is that Microsoft makes you activate them online.

This sucks if you are just installing it on a computer without an internet connection, or if there comes a day when Microsoft just won't support the old version AT ALL.

That's why I like 98 - you don't need to go online to activate it.

I wish there was some way to disable this online activation in XP for owners of legit copies who want to continue to use it long after support and registration servers are dropped.

I know there are probably cracked .iso images online but who wants to install a cracked version of Windows XP that is probably full of hidden malware?  I prefer to use a clean, OEM installation disc.
Music I've made using Amigas and other retro-instruments: http://theovoids.bandcamp.com

Offline som99

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by som99
    • http://www.som99.se
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2013, 03:57:05 PM »
Quote from: ral-clan;723822
The only thing about old versions of Windows is that Microsoft makes you activate them online.

This sucks if you are just installing it on a computer without an internet connection, or if there comes a day when Microsoft just won't support the old version AT ALL.

That's why I like 98 - you don't need to go online to activate it.

I wish there was some way to disable this online activation in XP for owners of legit copies who want to continue to use it long after support and registration servers are dropped.

I know there are probably cracked .iso images online but who wants to install a cracked version of Windows XP that is probably full of hidden malware?  I prefer to use a clean, OEM installation disc.

Well nothing stops you from creating your own pre-activated Windows ISO, it's easier then you think, also who gets cracked Windows ISO's from open trackers? There are non malware containing scene releases if you know where to look.

Edit: Also if memory serves me right pre SP ISO's of Windows XP pro requires no activation and you can install offline SP's later if you need them.
I am quite sure I got a few legit Windows XP CD's that do NOT require anything more then the CD-key under installation.

Also Windows FLP requires no activation and is less demanding then the normal Windows XP.

Edit: Hmm thinking of it I do not think I own any version of Windows XP professional that requires online activation at all, just skip the end steps with checking for connection and Windows Update and set them yourself and no version I have used had required me to activate online.

Tell me if you need a clean Windows XP professional ISO without activation requirement and ill make an ISO from my oldest Windows XP CD's without SP.

Edit: I am downloading the "Windows XP Service Pack 3 - ISO-9660 CD Image File" from Microsoft's Download center to check if it needs activation when installed.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 04:07:18 PM by som99 »

Offline spajdr

• Show only replies by spajdr
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2013, 04:09:23 PM »

There is no point to stay on Windows 7, if you have the chance to get Windows 8 for few bucks. Its faster in loading (mostly visible on older computers), smaller memory footprint, network performance is improved. People hate Metro, me too, but there are few applications that give you back start menu, if you prefer, and some of them are free and some even have more options then original Windows 7 start menu had.
C= Amiga 1200 / 8MB Fast RAM Exp. / IDE -> CF Adapter + 4GB Kingston CF / Delock PCMCIA CF Reader

Offline CritAnime

• Previous Life Time Member
    • Show only replies by CritAnime
« Reply #29 from previous page: January 24, 2013, 04:13:48 PM »
I detested windows 8 however it's slowly growing on me. And I spend more time on the "classic" desktop so I don't deal with metro very much. Thats not to say I outright like it now. I am still not impressed with metro and certain things, like having to go to hot coners to alter settings, still annoy me.