Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 3.1.4 SCSI Perfomance very slow  (Read 2780 times)

Description:

Offline matt3kTopic starter

3.1.4 SCSI Perfomance very slow
« on: February 11, 2019, 03:18:16 AM »

I have a 3000 (tested in another 3000 to confirm).  I have tried the motherboard SCSI and the Cyberstorm MKIII SCSI with 2 different SSD drives via 2 different Acards SCSI to SATA adapters.  Tried both the new FFS and PFS3AIO to be sure.

The icons are painfully slow to draw and speed test programs show dimished speeds.  Under 3.9 with identical stuff the icons are pretty much instant and the speed test programs show about 3 times the speed.

Maybe i'm missing something obvious at this point... I hope.

Offline BozzerBigD

Re: 3.1.4 SCSI Perfomance very slow
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2019, 04:30:00 AM »
I'd probably continue to use OS3.9. OS3.1.4 doesn't sound like an 'upgrade' to me! More of a sidestep  ::)
"Art challenges technology. Technology inspires the art."

John Lasseter, Co-Founder of Pixar Animation Studios

guest11527

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2019, 05:48:11 AM »
I have a 3000 (tested in another 3000 to confirm).  I have tried the motherboard SCSI and the Cyberstorm MKIII SCSI with 2 different SSD drives via 2 different Acards SCSI to SATA adapters.  Tried both the new FFS and PFS3AIO to be sure.
There is certainly no change in the Cyberstorm SCSI, and I don't recall we made any speed-relevant changes to the motherboard scsi. Also, there is nothing speed related that happened with the FFS.

guest11527

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2019, 05:49:46 AM »
I'd probably continue to use OS3.9. OS3.1.4 doesn't sound like an 'upgrade' to me! More of a sidestep  ::)
Before you blame the upgrade, shouldn't we first check what the problem actually is? This does not look like a problem with 3.1.4. to me - there was no change in the inner workings of the devices.

Did you use tools like (Mu)FastRom or (Mu)FastZero before? Note that the update de-installed them. This can make a speed difference.

Offline matt3kTopic starter

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2019, 11:52:30 AM »
Hi Thomas,

I did a fresh install of 3.1.4.

I used the default mask and max transfers.  Perhaps that is the culprit?  What are the best settings for performance to use?  Does block size matter I used 1024 for the SSDs?

Thanks for the help.

Matt

guest11527

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2019, 12:34:18 PM »
I did a fresh install of 3.1.4.
Did you use the ROM option or the RAM/LoadModule option? In the latter case, it may happen (depending on your system) that parts of the modules went into ChipMem, and hence it gets slow. "MuProtectModules" can help in this case. Also, depending on your setup, the exec.library may end up in chip memory. MuFastZero in combination with MuMove4K can help in this case.

I used the default mask and max transfers.  Perhaps that is the culprit?  What are the best settings for performance to use?  Does block size matter I used 1024 for the SSDs?
There is nothing you can do concerning the mask or maxtransfer to improve the performance. Mask=0xffffffffe is fine, and maxtransfer can be as large as you want (3.1.4. does not require setting a maxtransfer value anymore). For SSDs, I would recommend block sizes of 4096 bytes (4K).

Offline goldfish

• Show only replies by goldfish
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2019, 01:05:25 PM »
If its your icons are slow try using this instead

http://aminet.net/search?query=iconlib

Offline 10MARC

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2019, 12:02:46 AM »
My SCSI in my A4000 (WarpEngine) would only act normally if I enabled "DirectSCSI", disabled "Long File Names" and used real OS 3.1.4 ROMS. If any of those three were left out, all kinds of mayhem ensued.

guest11527

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2019, 09:20:36 AM »
My SCSI in my A4000 (WarpEngine) would only act normally if I enabled "DirectSCSI", disabled "Long File Names" and used real OS 3.1.4 ROMS. If any of those three were left out, all kinds of mayhem ensued.
Long file names has absolutely no relation to low-level transport, so enabling or disabling them makes no diference on performance. DirectSCSI is just the communication protocol between the file system. I do not know how recent the warpengine is, but at least for partitions below 4GB, CMD_READ will be used as in the old days, and if that performs bad, then there is something screwed up. Real ROMs will make a difference - as in some configurations, the file system and the scsi.device will have to run out of chip ram, if no other reset-resident RAM is available. In such cases, it may help to add the "NOMEMFKICK" option to LoadModule - just as a test. As you have a ROM, this type of tweaking is not necessary, though.