Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 4.1 Still included/offered for Amiga Forver 2016 Plus?  (Read 363 times)

Description:

Offline CaelThunderwingTopic starter

• Show only replies by CaelThunderwing
4.1 Still included/offered for Amiga Forver 2016 Plus?
« on: October 25, 2016, 10:16:16 PM »
since premium is only the videos and such, do they still offer the Download of 4.1 Final Classic to those who have thier "2016 Plus" Release?

Offline eliyahu

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by eliyahu
Re: 4.1 Still included/offered for Amiga Forver 2016 Plus?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2016, 11:47:30 PM »
@CaelThunderwing

you can purchase AOS4.1 FE for classic directly from hyperion these days. click on the 'buy now!' link at the bottom of this page.

-- eliyahu
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here."

Offline CaelThunderwingTopic starter

• Show only replies by CaelThunderwing
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2016, 10:22:58 PM »
@eliyahu Much appreciated, i can see people are stating using 4.1FE in WinUAE isnt giving it much justice and i dont think in the forseeable future i'm going to have in the budget an A2000 or the orginal Amiga i had when i was a kid (A500+the GVP A530) + an PPC Accelerator card for either model, so i'm not sure for what i even want to Try out 4.1 that i can Justify 38 $ on what would become Sitting on a shelf for quite a few years before i can afford a Usable Amiga w/ an PPC Accelerator card. :(

or maybe i should just bite the bullet and count it as "one step at a time" and get it for when i Do have everything together :confused:

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2016, 11:13:42 PM »
Quote from: CaelThunderwing;815708
@eliyahu Much appreciated, i can see people are stating using 4.1FE in WinUAE isnt giving it much justice and i dont think in the forseeable future i'm going to have in the budget an A2000 or the orginal Amiga i had when i was a kid (A500+the GVP A530) + an PPC Accelerator card for either model, so i'm not sure for what i even want to Try out 4.1 that i can Justify 38 $ on what would become Sitting on a shelf for quite a few years before i can afford a Usable Amiga w/ an PPC Accelerator card. :(

or maybe i should just bite the bullet and count it as "one step at a time" and get it for when i Do have everything together :confused:

If you really want to try running 4.1 on classic hardware you'll need either an A1200 or an A4000, as they're the only ones for which PPC boards are available (maybe A3000, I've never heard of anyone using it on an A3000?).

There's something on the order of fewer than five PPC boards available for the A2000, since that never escaped development.
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline Rotzloeffel

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2016, 07:19:01 AM »
Quote from: Oldsmobile_Mike;815712
(maybe A3000, I've never heard of anyone using it on an A3000?).

Yes, I run 4.1 on Amiga 3000D! with Cybervision PPC:laughing:
Quote from: Oldsmobile_Mike;815712
There's something on the order of fewer than five PPC boards available for the A2000, since that never escaped development.

The word impossible does not exist on an Amiga :laugh1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhxUO6fc64w
Save Planet Earth! It is the only one in the galaxy with fresh and cold beer :laughing:

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2016, 07:30:32 AM »
Seen it.  Pretty impressive, but you'll never find one of those boards for sale, ever. :(

Edit: How does 4.1 run with the native SCSI in the 3000?  Is it supported out of the box?  How's performance?
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline Rotzloeffel

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2016, 10:26:38 AM »
Quote from: Oldsmobile_Mike;815722
Edit: How does 4.1 run with the native SCSI in the 3000?  Is it supported out of the box?  How's performance?

The internal SCSI of the A3000 is NOT supported in OS4.1...... I think I was the first who did this, because 4.1FE was not installable on an Amiga 3000 :laughing:

The Kicklayout on the bootdisc was corrupt and the Installscript "install from OS 3.1" was also corrupt :D I copied the CD on a stick and installed it by booting this stick with a DENEB :rofl:
Save Planet Earth! It is the only one in the galaxy with fresh and cold beer :laughing:

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2016, 11:41:56 AM »
Quote from: Rotzloeffel;815720
Yes, I run 4.1 on Amiga 3000D! with Cybervision PPC:laughing:

The word impossible does not exist on an Amiga :laugh1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhxUO6fc64w

'Impossible'? Nope, 'scary kludged up mess', yes. :hammer:
That combination looks like it would fall apart if you looked at it wrong.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline JimmiG

• Show only replies by JimmiG
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2016, 10:03:37 PM »

I think it's worth the cost if you're curious about the OS. It's not a lot of money. I too bought it as a "small" step toward getting back into Amigas. A couple of points

-OS 4.1 probably runs better under emulation on a powerful PC than it does on classic Amigas. With the new UAE devices, you can get full HD resolutions which were not possible with typical Amiga video cards. You're limited due to a lack of RAM (~256 MB) and 3D capabilities, but that would be true for most real Amiga setups too.

-If you want to utilize OS 4.1 fully (visit modern websites, run powerful software, 3D acceleration), you're probably going to have to look into the X5000. Possibly the A1222, but that depends on how it will perform. Classic PPC Amigas are nearly 20 years old at this point, so there are limitations.

-AmigaOS 4.1 and PPC might not at all be the way for you. Many swear by their OS 3.x and 68k setups. This would be a lot cheaper, and it would be more like the Amiga you used and loved back in the day. OS 4.1 is more of a modern take on the Amiga, and as I said before, it works best on modern ("next-gen") hardware.

-MorphOS and AROS are alternatives. MorphOS runs on dirt-cheap PPC Mac systems, and AROS can run natively on a cheap x86 PC, provided you pick the components carefully (hardware support is very limited). Most software is available across all 3 platforms.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 10:08:11 PM by JimmiG »

Offline Rob

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2016, 12:48:45 AM »

The price of the PowerUP cards takes you well into the territory of dedicated OS4 hardware.  Getting an A4000 and decking it out with a CyberstormPPC, video card, sound, NIC and USB will easily exceed the price of an X5000.

I think for the price it's worth checking it out under emulation just to get a feel for it and see if it's something you'd be happy to invest further into or not.

Offline Fats

• Show only replies by Fats
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2016, 09:46:51 PM »
Quote from: JimmiG;815762
and AROS can run natively on a cheap x86 PC, provided you pick the components carefully (hardware support is very limited).

or run a hosted version :D
Trust me...                                              I know what I\'m doing