Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Question for TrevorD  (Read 1000 times)

Description:

Offline biggun

• Show only replies by biggun
    • http://www.greyhound-data.com/gunnar/
Re: Question for TrevorD
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2014, 11:25:00 AM »
Another option are NG FPGA Amiga

* Classic chipset  -  old games work
* brand new hardware
* better performance than Phase 5 Systems
* reasonable priced

Offline Everblue

• Show only replies by Everblue
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2014, 11:32:15 AM »
Quote from: TrevorDick;776484
I'm sure I can play Pinball Dreams using RunIN UAE on my X1000.

TrevorD

Yes of course, I was excluding emulation :)

Now if only Acube released an Amiga Core for their Sam series which came with an FPGA. I have a hunch about X5000 :P

Offline Everblue

• Show only replies by Everblue
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2014, 12:15:23 PM »
Quote from: biggun;776486
Another option are NG FPGA Amiga

* Classic chipset  -  old games work
* brand new hardware
* better performance than Phase 5 Systems
* reasonable priced

Yes true, but usually with 'NG' people understand 'PPC', but of course, FPGA are awesome and way better than any emulator!

Offline Fats

• Show only replies by Fats
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2014, 01:45:53 PM »
Quote from: koaftder;776461
Anybody find it bizarre that the question was addressed to Trevor, yet AmigaKit spoke for him? wtf.

No, quite normal.
As you know, the minds of Trevor, AmigaKit, Hyperion and ACube Systems are controlled by aliens who have a space ship located close to the earth. This control was enforced as when they arrived they realized that using the large amiga community around it's fantastic OS and hardware was the pathway to world domination. As ChuckTs question was a possible roadblock in this endeavor they had to react swiftly. As @Spiranto was the guy still awake he was chosen to put this to rest as fast as possible.
The aliens are worried though as such interventions are detractors from their current battle against MOS and AROS.
Trust me...                                              I know what I\'m doing

Offline Gulliver

« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2014, 01:58:32 PM »
Quote from: wawrzon;776477
there is no "classics". there are just amigas. why must an amiga user call his amiga some other name, like "classics", just because someone else wants to pretend his computer should be called "amiga" is beyond me.

So sadly true.

Offline eliyahu

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by eliyahu
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2014, 01:59:03 PM »
Quote from: Fats;776496
No, quite normal.
As you know, the minds of Trevor, AmigaKit, Hyperion and ACube Systems are controlled by aliens who have a space ship located close to the earth. This control was enforced as when they arrived they realized that using the large amiga community around it's fantastic OS and hardware was the pathway to world domination. As ChuckTs question was a possible roadblock in this endeavor they had to react swiftly. As @Spiranto was the guy still awake he was chosen to put this to rest as fast as possible.
The aliens are worried though as such interventions are detractors from their current battle against MOS and AROS.
:laughing:

-- eliyahu
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here."

Offline koaftder

• Show only replies by koaftder
    • http://koft.net
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2014, 03:21:42 PM »
Quote from: TrevorDick;776468
No, not really, @Spiranto answered the question first since  it was overnight in New Zealand where I live.

TrevorD

Huh? It's not bizarre because some other guy dumped a post that didn't answer OP's question (Trevor will answer later is not an answer, and Trevor has a lot of old computers doesn't answer anything either) which was then followed by a response from AmigaKit who half answered for you?

"Trevor has a lot of old computers" and "AmigaKit has new junk for sale in the pipeline" doesn't really address the concern with a lot of folks. It's looking like this place is becoming a heavily moderated, OS4 centric site. The internet already has plenty of those, which explains why the user count of late has been so low.

Offline ajlwalker

• Show only replies by ajlwalker
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2014, 09:29:39 PM »
It strikes me that the OP would like to be an OS4 user but has a perception that going OS4 is expensive.

The way I look at it, my A500 cost me about £300 back in 1989. Yeah, I got the bare bones system with no software.

Now, going by RPI that same £300 is over £650 in today's money. That is about the price of a SAM system. So it's not really any more expensive than back in the day.

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2014, 10:13:49 PM »
there it goes again, the memorized line of argumentation. but with a500 one was buying a cutting edge system with a wide software support not a half supported motherboard with no proper branding and almost no unique software of any.

Offline ajlwalker

• Show only replies by ajlwalker
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2014, 12:18:24 AM »
Quote from: wawrzon;776549
there it goes again, the memorized line of argumentation. but with a500 one was buying a cutting edge system with a wide software support not a half supported motherboard with no proper branding and almost no unique software of any.

I haven't memorised anything, nor have I to my knowledge used that argument before.

The argument wasn't about software support, but about cost of entry.

But for that matter, which has more software support now? OS4.X or OS 3.X? And which is likely to have the most support in the future?

I'm not arguing it is the same value for money, merely that the cost of entry is very similar.

In actual fact I have only taken account the purchasing power of money and not the earning power of the individual. Many will be earning way more than they did in the late 80s and early 90s. Personally, for that reason the cost of entry now for me is relatively miniscule.

Offline ElPolloDiabl

• Show only replies by ElPolloDiabl
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2014, 12:56:52 AM »
Comparing it to the price of an Amiga 500 is fair. Some people come here an compare it to an i7 workstation.
A500 was the low spec machine. There wasn't that much software when it was released.
Go Go Gadget Signature!

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2014, 05:40:04 AM »
Quote from: koaftder;776506
and "AmigaKit has new junk for sale in the pipeline"

I, for one, can't wait for my next order of "new junk" from AmigaKit.  Since shipping to me takes 3-4 weeks I'm waiting until the USB module for the X-Surf 100 becomes available before I pull the trigger on my order for a bunch of fun new toys.  Thank god their amount of loyal customers outweighs opinions like this. :bitch:
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline yssing

• Show only replies by yssing
    • http://www.yssing.org
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2014, 07:12:18 AM »
Quote from: koaftder;776506
"AmigaKit has new junk for sale in the pipeline"
Please elaborate.
What would you prefer then?

Offline koaftder

• Show only replies by koaftder
    • http://koft.net
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2014, 08:00:10 AM »
Quote from: Oldsmobile_Mike;776567
I, for one, can't wait for my next order of "new junk" from AmigaKit.  Since shipping to me takes 3-4 weeks I'm waiting until the USB module for the X-Surf 100 becomes available before I pull the trigger on my order for a bunch of fun new toys.  Thank god their amount of loyal customers outweighs opinions like this. :bitch:

Loyalty is for chumps. If something is a good deal, you buy it, else move on. I find the concept of loyalty to a retailer almost disgusting. I reserve loyalty for things like my family, my wife, my child, etc. Not a place that trades mugs, stickers, mouse pads and various computer bits and pieces for money. You usually hear the phrase "loyal customer" when someone is whining about how they've been treated...

This is all a distraction though, because it is irrelevant to the the point of the thread. Likewise with focusing on the fact that more crap is coming down the sales pipeline. So what that AmigaKit is going to have more stuff to sling on their web store? That's another website.

This site has changed. In the upper right hand corner of the site, there's a giant square banner of a dude in a shoe styled space ship thing with X1000 rocket propellent thingeys. "TREVOR'S AMIGA BLOG". At least it's not what it was before, that giant picture of Trevor. It links to to the guy's blog. WTF?! Why? And it's focused on all manner of things, but a constant theme is the NG kit he's funded and OS 4, and a heaping dose of linux.

And no offense to Trevor, but I don't care about his blog, that's not why I've been coming here regularly for over a decade. When I saw that blog banner for the first time I thought to myself, "That's the biggest wank piece I've ever seen". I figured it would go down after a while, but it didn't. It's creeped a lot of people out, and it's sent the wrong message.

It used to be that when you'd  visit the site, you'd see a column of user contributed images, which featured a lot of classic gear. Now you don't see anything at all. It's gone, unless you log in. Same for the user blogs, and being able to peruse user posts from the user profiles. Bye bye went the search tool too, unless you're logged in.

Imagine what a potential new community member will see when they first visit AO. No cool user gallery previews("Random pics"), no user gallery off the nav menu, and a big ass link to Trevor's blog in the corner. Hopefully there're be something interesting in the news section and recent threads pane. Hope they don't decide to do a search.

That's a real kick in the balls to have to be a registered member to see the galleys. That cuts a huge chunk of soul right out of the website. I probably never would have registered with this site if it wasn't for the picture gallery that caught my interest. There's nothing like seeing the kit you never saw back in the day, seeing other people's projects and desktop screen shots to rope you in.

And finally we've had an issue with a new moderator, that nobody knows, wasn't elected by the community, and of questionable ethics, going bezerk in the forum.

So now, back to part of the original question:

Now that you bought Amiga.org and Amigaworld, how should a past Amiga 500 user see these websites or how should any Amiga user see these websites...
What I mean is that, how do we fit in since you've changed the landscape...

See, answers like "Trevor's got a lot of old computers", and "AmigaKit is going to sling some more stuff" aren't answers. And this is a good question, and it deserves a thoughtful answer.

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2014, 08:10:15 AM »
Whine, whine, whine.  TL;DR.
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline spirantho

« Reply #29 from previous page: November 03, 2014, 08:25:21 AM »
@koaftder

AmigaKit and A-Eon are made up of Amiga fans - that's not just NG Amigas, they all have a500s, a1200s, a4000s etc. The fact that AmigaKit are continuing to invest in new products, and continue to support all flavours of Amiga and its derivatives on their forums, I feel demonstrates the answer to the original question much more than just saying "oh yes, we like a500 owners". AmigaKit have actually put their money where their mouth is, and proven a commitment to the Amigas such as the a500.

Serious question: What would you like to see from AmigaKit more than they are doing already?

(incidentally, when I answered the OP, I wasn't speaking for or trying to represent anyone, hence my saying "I'm sure Trevor will be along shortly....". As this was a question sent in a public forum for discussion, and not a PM, I felt it was safe to allay his fears, as I know for an absolute fact that A500 users are quite safe on here, because Trevor himself is a fan).

Edit: in the interest of fairness, it should be pointed out that the moderator you mention has publically apologised for his mistake, and has already reversed his ban.
--
Ian Gledhill
ian.gledhill@btinternit.com (except it should be internEt of course...!)
Check out my shop! http://www.mutant-caterpillar.co.uk/shop/ - for 8-bit (and soon 16-bit) goodness!