Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Freespace CD Install, not executable.  (Read 4545 times)

Description:

Offline slaapliedjeTopic starter

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by slaapliedje
Freespace CD Install, not executable.
« on: June 15, 2019, 08:04:12 PM »
Bought Freespace from Amiga on the Lake back in February.  Not sure if they're heavy smokers or what, but man that disk/case reeks.

Beside that point, can't seem to get the game to work.  I see this post from 15 years ago... https://forum.amiga.org/index.php?topic=13082.0 Exact same error.  Went to register as suggested, but had to send an email instead of filling out a form. 

Freespace.exe does show as being executable, but I keep getting the error that it's not.  Snoopdos just tells me I don't have screennotifier.library. 
Any ideas?
A4000D: Mediator 4000Di; Voodoo 3, ZorRAM 128MB, 10/100mb Ethernet, Spider 2. Cyberstorm PPC 060/50 604e/420.

Offline zipper

Re: Freespace CD Install, not executable.
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2019, 12:04:18 AM »
As the first thing I would download screennotify from Aminet...Probably done it in the past.

Offline paul1981

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2019, 12:13:28 AM »
Are you sure you're running the 68k version?

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2019, 06:41:07 PM »
I was hoping to be running the PPC version, since I have one I should use it, right? 

How do you even tell, didn't see any options in the installer or in the setup.
A4000D: Mediator 4000Di; Voodoo 3, ZorRAM 128MB, 10/100mb Ethernet, Spider 2. Cyberstorm PPC 060/50 604e/420.

Offline paul1981

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2019, 10:41:59 AM »
I was hoping to be running the PPC version, since I have one I should use it, right? 

How do you even tell, didn't see any options in the installer or in the setup.

I'm not familiar with the software, but from what you say it sounds as though it installs the 68k version and the ppc version together, and perhaps it autodetects which version to run, perhaps via a script of some sort (you might want to view it if you can and see what it does). Does the software ask for the registration number? Have you received a number yet via email? Isn't there any documentation on the cd-rom? What exactly is your hardware setup? Have you tried a Show All Files to see if there are seperate 68k and ppc executables? Did you try installing the missing library?

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2019, 06:06:44 PM »
I re-installed it this morning (though I skipped copying over the 'movies' from the disk, so that could explain the lack of the hyperionvideo.library being installed).

The registration number is asked for at the end of the install process.  Pretty sure what it does is check something, then decrypt a data file to create the Freescape.exe file (it is not on the disk itself, so I assume it's in an archive).  If I miss type the serial or don't use capitalization, then it says it's malformed, so at least I know my serial number should work.
Isn't a lot of documentation with it.
My signature has my specs, but if you have that turned off;
A4000, Cyberstorm PPC (128mb RAM), Mediator, ZorRAM (128mb), Voodoo 3, FastEthernet, Spider.  Running on the SCSI off the Cyberstorm.

Offline x303

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2019, 09:27:13 PM »
Well, if you start fslaunch / setup, goto the speed tab. Here you can see if the ppc (warpos) is used, else the 68k is used for sound & gfx.
The main program actually doesn't use powerpc.library at all, but some external libs do.

There should also be an update, which you can download from the hyperion site (when registered).
This one was free [years ago], don't know if it's still there.

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2019, 10:05:50 PM »
Well, if you start fslaunch / setup, goto the speed tab. Here you can see if the ppc (warpos) is used, else the 68k is used for sound & gfx.
The main program actually doesn't use powerpc.library at all, but some external libs do.

There should also be an update, which you can download from the hyperion site (when registered).
This one was free [years ago], don't know if it's still there.
I thought that too (about the update), went to Hyperion's site and they have an option for registering for the download version or the CD version.  I clicked on CD version, and it said to email them.  I did so on Sunday, but haven't heard back from them yet.

Offline x303

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2019, 04:56:54 PM »
You don't have to register the game to play, just login the hyperion site and download the update from here (it should be visible when logged in): http://hyperion-entertainment.com/index.php/downloads?view=files&parent=20

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2019, 05:21:04 PM »
Logged in and it still doesn't show any downloads there.
I haven't tested it yet, but I downloaded the demo from Aminet to see if it'll help at all.  I'm sure it needs the patch though.  I've also been trying to find where I can  buy Heretic II.  Hopefully they make a digital release at some point.

Offline x303

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2019, 10:11:16 PM »
Hmm, it seems you do have to register the game. If it doesn't show anything yet, they might need some time to process your request.
When this is done correctly, it should show the patches in the 'older' dir.

And you can grab the full game from the download page (incl. serial). There are 2 versions, 1 for 68k/wos and 1 for os4.1 fe.

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2019, 10:24:05 PM »
Yeah, they haven't responded to my email yet to register.  Might be worth while just to buy the damned digital version :P  I mean it's not like I don't also own it on GOG, but wanted to see it on the Amiga :)  Not to mention play it with my CD32 Competition Pro controllers!

Offline x303

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2019, 11:13:24 PM »
This msg is quite old: http://forum.hyperion-entertainment.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=3761

It says: mail to costelm@hyperion-entertainment.com
Hope he's still there.....  :o

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2019, 11:29:44 PM »
Thanks!  Email sent.  Saturday apparently is when I sent the email about registering the product.

That'll teach me to try to buy something physical! 
Oh, the 'Speed' tab was mentioned.  Here's the funky thing, it shows  the PPC 604e on the tab, but it shows both the Bus clock and CPU clock speed at 60mhz.

And really it is kind of odd, but even though I now have some things that have worked with the PPC (Heretic 2 demo, AdoomWOS, etc) still seems I am missing some library or something is being rather buggy. 

I notice some things also want openpci.library for reasons.  Not sure if it's specific to another library (like I ran Genetic Species last night and it requested it before allowing me to select a RTG/Voodoo resolution).  Also the Warp3D demos tend to just lock the machine.  But Scout shows 0mhz for the PPC (I had it fixed at one point). 

OS 4.1 FE, after the boot floppy loads it's kickstart will show the 419Mhz correctly on the kickstart menu screen (which by the way is cool, anyone know the module to put into a kickstart ROM to get that in there permanently?)  So I'm betting it's just a library / software configuration.  I know at one point fblit fixed it, but doesnt' seem to be working correctly now.

Thanks for everyone's input!

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2019, 02:52:54 AM »
One step closer to the Danger Zone....

Got the demo installed, loaded it up with no changes to settings and... it worked!  Got into the menu screen.  Exited out, compared the settings in the setup program between the demo and the retail game.  Everything was the same, but something caught my eye!  The Memory tab had graphics memory set to 19 on the retail and 11.4 on the Demo!

So I set that to 11.4 and the loading screen appeared!  Then some hard drive light activity, and then it froze :(  So a little closer to being able to play it. 

Tried to enable Warp3D and it didn't even get to the loading screen.  Time to investigate that, because I don't think I've had anything except the Heretic II demo work with that yet.  Any recommendations on a game or demo that uses it?