Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Public Release of MorphOS 2.5 & Introduction of eMac Support  (Read 14939 times)

Description:

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
Re: Public Release of MorphOS 2.5 & Introduction of eMac Support
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2010, 07:52:23 AM »
Quote from: XDelusion;562799
So how well does 680x0 code run on a 1.25Mhz G4?

Very. MOS uses JIT emulation, executing 680x0 code in a manner similar to UAE. Unlike UAE, however system calls are inevitably routed through native code, which can only help.

I've found that my 800MHz G4 with Petunia (OS4's JIT) is far faster than any of my real 680x0 machines for all my code/apps. From what I gather, trance (MOS's JIT) is even more aggressive.
int p; // A

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2010, 07:55:43 AM »
So assuming I was doing modeling (which I'm not), I'd be able to render images within a few seconds/minutes instead of hours?
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline Britelite

• Show only replies by Britelite
    • http://www.dekadence64.org
« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2010, 08:06:47 AM »
Quote from: XDelusion;562801
So assuming I was doing modeling (which I'm not), I'd be able to render images within a few seconds/minutes instead of hours?

Probably depends on how long it takes for example on a 68060. If it takes 24h on a 060, I doubt it'll finish in a few seconds with JIT ;)  But it will still speed up considerably.

Offline trilobyte

• Show only replies by trilobyte
    • http://aaack.org
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2010, 02:36:18 PM »
Quote from: amigadave;562742
Yeah they are cheap, but those prices aren't even the cheapest I have seen.  In fact, I have seen many eMacs priced at well below $100 and some below $50 US dollars.  Even though some people still complain about the price of a MorphOS license, how can anyone not realize the excellent performance they can get for a very small price by getting a G4 eMac or MacMini and a MorphOS2.5 license key to run their Amiga programs and MorphOS specific PPC programs.  With E-UAE for MorphOS they can even run all their old hardware banging Amiga games.

Ironically, the eMacs are subject to the same leaking capacitor problems as other manufacturer's computers of the same era.  (And PowerMac G5s.)  From one platform with failing hardware to another...
Amiga user since \'96, when I could finally afford one
Commodore 8-bit since before I could tie my shoes

Offline EDanaII

• Show only replies by EDanaII
    • http://www.EdwardGDanaII.info
« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2010, 03:21:11 PM »
Well, kudos to the MorphOS team for this. Unlike Hyperion, they at least get part of the equation: inexpensive hardware, as opposed to modern inexpensive hardware. Unfortunately for me, I hate all of the uni-body Macs, so I doubt I'd get one even if I had room on my desk for it. (I'm more likely to get a Power G4 since it can hide under my desk).

Good luck guys. Might wanna publish your sales figures just to let everyone know, especially if they go up as a result.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 03:23:05 PM by EDanaII »
Ed.

Offline LoadWB

• Show only replies by LoadWB
« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2010, 03:32:33 PM »
Quote from: EDanaII;562846
I hate all of the uni-body Macs, so I doubt I'd get one even if I had room on my desk for it. (I'm more likely to get a Power G4 since it can hide under my desk).

I am quite impressed with the MacMini.

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2010, 04:06:03 PM »
Quote from: EDanaII;562846
Well, kudos to the MorphOS team for this. Unlike Hyperion, they at least get part of the equation: inexpensive hardware, as opposed to modern inexpensive hardware. Unfortunately for me, I hate all of the uni-body Macs, so I doubt I'd get one even if I had room on my desk for it. (I'm more likely to get a Power G4 since it can hide under my desk).

Quote from: LoadWB;562849

My MorphOS MacMini sits atop my Intel MacMini, which sits atop my AmigaOne, which sits under my desk :)

Offline EDanaII

• Show only replies by EDanaII
    • http://www.EdwardGDanaII.info
« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2010, 04:44:27 PM »
Quote from: LoadWB;562849

No doubt, :) but the Power G4 and eMac are considerably less and therefore more justifiable to someone like me who will only use it occasionally. As someone who remembers Amigas fondly but rarely uses them anymore, the smaller the price, the more likely I might purchase one.
Ed.

Offline som99

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by som99
    • http://www.som99.se
« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2010, 04:56:54 PM »
I must say this is great news, since Piru has convinced me to give MorphOS a go :)

The eMac support is great for me, since its a affordable choice for me to try the OS out :)
To bad it only supports the 1,25GHz revisions since a friend of mine could give me a 1,42 rev :/

So now ill look into buying a supported eMac when I got time and then replace the CRT monitor with a 17" TFT, tho my time is limitet due to many other projects and that I work this entire summer.

but ill try to give this a go as fast as I can, and kudos to the MorphOS team for their hard work!

just one question, if I buy MorphOS and I like it and want to buy a Mac mini instead, can I then discard the OS on the eMac and use the license on the Mac mini? Wihout any additional charge if I can prove im not using it on the eMac anymore?

Edit: also I know this is the wrong place for this question and I could search around for the info, but im browsing on my nokia N97 and ill just give it a shot here, does Payback run under MorphOS? ive read it can run with some work on AmigaOS 4.x.

thanks for reply.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 05:04:13 PM by som99 »

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2010, 05:21:19 PM »
Quote from: som99;562860
just one question, if I buy MorphOS and I like it and want to buy a Mac mini instead, can I then discard the OS on the eMac and use the license on the Mac mini? Wihout any additional charge if I can prove im not using it on the eMac anymore?

No.

The license is tied to the hardware, not to you.

You can however sell the hardware with the registered OS bundled, and recover money for a new registration that way.
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

Offline som99

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by som99
    • http://www.som99.se
« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2010, 05:35:39 PM »
Quote from: takemehomegrandma;562864
No.

You can however sell the hardware with the registered OS bundled, and recover money for a new registration that way.

Thanks for the reply!
well sounds fair, I guess I would not have alot trouble selling a eMac rebuild with a TFT with MorphOS at a decent price :) Since a eMac is cheep and I got spare  17" TFTs and trashed PSUs for them, I wont loose much money and I do not take proffit :)

But ill see what happens, I might just be satesfied with a eMac.

Offline TheBilgeRat

• Show only replies by TheBilgeRat
« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2010, 05:43:41 PM »
Quote from: takemehomegrandma;562864
No.

Really?  Well, that settles my curiosity.  When it supports an Apple product I would be interested in owning I may reconsider.

« Reply #41 on: June 04, 2010, 06:04:52 PM »
Quote from: TheBilgeRat;562868
Really?  Well, that settles my curiosity.  When it supports an Apple product I would be interested in owning I may reconsider.

Just out of curiosity - is it the PowerMac or PowerBook you would prefer the most?

Personally, I have always dreamed of a *laptop* running my favorite OS and applications! :)

(And BTW (directed towards the MorphOS team), my Voucher idea was seriously meant. The MorphOS team would get money now, and customers would be able to enjoy the Special Anniversary Price! A win-win IMHO! :) )

Offline TheBilgeRat

• Show only replies by TheBilgeRat
« Reply #42 on: June 04, 2010, 06:11:00 PM »
Quote from: takemehomegrandma;562871
Just out of curiosity - is it the PowerMac or PowerBook you would prefer the most?

Personally, I have always dreamed of a *laptop* running my favorite OS and applications! :)

(And BTW (directed towards the MorphOS team), my Voucher idea was seriously meant. The MorphOS team would get money now, and customers would be able to enjoy the Special Anniversary Price! A win-win IMHO! :) )

Either or.  Anything "pro" and at least G4 and preferrably G5.  It doesn't sound like the G5 is planned on being supported though.  The license being tied to the machine is the biggest issue.  This forces the issue if the old beater mac I picked up to run an OS that costs almost as much as Windows 7 goes south, I get to sink money into it for repair as opposed to go getting another cheap mac to replace it.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 06:16:23 PM by TheBilgeRat »

Offline yakumo9275

• Show only replies by yakumo9275
    • http://mega-tokyo.com/blog
« Reply #43 on: June 04, 2010, 06:26:32 PM »
the 1.4ghz models use radeon 9600's instead of 9200's which is why they dont work.
also its a shame as the emac 1.2ghz models still have only 32mb vram :(
--/\\-[ Stu ]-/\\--
Commodore 128DCR, JiffyDOS, Ultimate 1541 II, uIEC/SD, CBM 1902A  Monitor

« Reply #44 from previous page: June 04, 2010, 06:39:38 PM »
Quote from: TheBilgeRat;562873
Either or.  Anything "pro" and at least G4 and preferrably G5.  It doesn't sound like the G5 is planned on being supported though.

Personally, I am *extremely* happy with my "silent upgrade" Mac Mini 1.5GHz G4. And I haven't even registered my MorphOS as of yet (but I will surely do so at the current discount price!)

:)

The license being tied to the machine is the biggest issue.  This forces the issue if the old beater mac I picked up to run an OS that costs almost as much as Windows 7 goes south, I get to sink money into it for repair as opposed to go getting another cheap mac to replace it.

If your registered hardware dies, and you can prove it (you discuss this with the MorphOS team directly as your personal unique situation arises), you will get a new keyfile for your new hardware! A kind of "warranty". This has been discussed a lot over at MorphZone.org, look there if you don't believe me (I don't have any links, but you could always ask MZ's living webcrawler Andreas_Wolf about it ;) ).

It's handled manually on a case to case basis, and so far I haven't heard of any problems whatsoever about this.

:)
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 06:50:38 PM by takemehomegrandma »