Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: To One or not to One  (Read 3093 times)

Description:

Offline TafkaTopic starter

• Show only replies by Tafka
To One or not to One
« on: November 08, 2002, 03:49:23 PM »
Hello people,

I was just wondering, like many of you, I expect whether to buy an AOne now or wait until OS4.

What is worrying me slightly is the chipset "fix" that has been implemented.  What is the nature of the fix?  I know the problem was related to the hardware hanging during high bandwidth data shifting but is the fix to stop masses of data being moved around.

If so, is the next release of the AOne going to be better in terms of performance.  I appreciate there are always going to be minor tweaks in hardware revisions but is it worth waiting 6 months :-o  for the fixed chipset rather than the 'bodge' for want of a better word?

Or is there really not that much difference?

Re: To One or not to One
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2002, 03:55:29 PM »
I was just wondering, like many of you, I expect whether to buy an AOne now or wait until OS4.

I think the only worthwhile reasoning on this is to say: are you wiling to mess around with Linux until OS4 comes out?

IMHO the latest versions of Linux are not merely usable but pleasant. We use it at work, and I'm running the Phoenix browser on KDE 3 right now. Konqueror isn't bad either. I almost freaked when I realized a couple of weeks ago that I actually like this system, but that's my opinion. So, personally I'd say yes, & if I had the money I'd be all over an AmigaOne if only to run Linux PPC. Unfortunately, I lack the oney... :-(

Offline Kay

• Show only replies by Kay
    • http://www.stud.ntnu.no/~kayare
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2002, 04:07:04 PM »
For me, the answer is defineately "To One". Reasons:
*I'm fairly confident that OS4 will be delivered.
*By ordering now, I save money on OS4.
*I want Linux, and not just temporarily. I need something which can run my university stuff properly (for now, Java and Prolog).
*I've waited so damn long already!!!

As for the fix, I don't know. But I guess Alan Redhouse does, and he has ordered a whole bunch of boards. So I'm not too worried.

Kay

Offline Billsey

• Show only replies by Billsey
    • http://billsey.christian.net
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2002, 04:10:57 PM »
@Kay and Simplex:

Good answers! I'm still waiting for more "news of the snail". :-D

I will, however be buying a One when I am able. I'd love to explore Linux on my own machine instead of my buddy's machine (multi-boot Linux, Linux-Enterprise (?), Windows, Amithlon).
\\"The chief tormentor of the damned will be the conscience and it will not be misinformed, and it will not be silenced.\\"     John MacArthur
Salvation is by grace alone through faith alone in Christ alone
\\"I am not ashamed of the Gospel, because it is the

Offline vortexau

• Show only replies by vortexau
    • http://home.swiftdsl.com.au/~vortexau
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2002, 04:43:19 PM »
I made the decision a few days back (late Tuesday morning, in fact).
° I thought I had waited long enough.
° Its to come with Linux PPC and UAE!

I've gone into Debt again, but its for a good cause! :pint:

(See my picture in the "Decissions, Decissions... *sigh*" thread.)
-vortexau; who\\\'s still waiting! (-for AmigaOS4! ;-) )
savage Ami bridge parody

Offline Dagon

• Show only replies by Dagon
    • http://www.amigasympan.gr/depa
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2002, 04:54:45 PM »
I`m not buying now because I can`t afford it but by the time AmigaOS is ready I`ll have the money.

I prefer BSD than linux for various reasons.
(for example)

Does anyone knoes if netBSD is/will be available for AmigaOne or even Pegasos?
\\"So we must exercise ourselves in the things which bring happiness, since, if that be present, we have everything, and, if that be absent, all our actions are directed towards attaining it\\" - Epicurus

Offline jaokim

• Show only replies by jaokim
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2002, 04:55:45 PM »
Nowadays I only use Linux, at home and at work (I have a win2000-partition on my PC, but I dont know if it works anymore, haven't tried. It died once, wouldn't start-> tried reinstall- >didn't work->got pissed, installed linux, and it works like a charm. Even burning PICs (picp) works, and it's faster than MPlab!!). It copes with everything I need. I dont need to create word and excel-docs, just be able to read them ok. mozilla works great. I love vi.
My pc is from 2000 (450MHz intel celeron), a few months earlier I bought an A4000 which ceased working, so I guess I'll go for an AOne. Besides I really need an extra computer.  :-D

Offline Crispy_Beef

• Show only replies by Crispy_Beef
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2002, 05:05:18 PM »
@Dagon

Yeah, I'm probably gonna end up using Linux, but I'd love it if FreeBSD or one of the other BSDs was available.  There are various PPC ports too, so it's only a matter of time I guess.
-- Crispy

Offline Argo

• Show only replies by Argo
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2002, 05:48:54 PM »
Vortexau:
That's why I'm waiting til my tax refund next spring.

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2002, 06:13:41 PM »
@Tafka:

I think you should wait until you know what you are buying, and if and when it can be delivered. No need to rush. You can make up your mind when you can see OS4 running on the A1  for yourself.
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

Offline duesi

• Show only replies by duesi
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2002, 06:23:49 PM »
I will also buy an AOne thats crystal clear !
I've also been waiting for so many years
I will build it myself. I just buy a Motherboard
and a cool case...
But I will wait for OS4 is available...
(I think about March next year I also will have the
money for my new Powermiggy...:-D
I'm sure it really rocks
A4000D CS060/MKII with SCSI, CV64/4MB, 128MB Fast, ACARD AEC-7720U SCSI-IDE,80GB Samsung HDD, Yamaha CDRW, XSurf2, OS3.9BB2
A500,1MB Chip Kick1.3/3.1,GVP A500+ 540MB HDD and 8MB Fast,GVP DSS 8Bit Sampler

Offline redrumloa

• Original Omega User
    • Show only replies by redrumloa
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2002, 06:31:48 PM »
Mine has been ordered since many moons ago:-) I'm getting the SE, and it will be in the next batch which will be very soon now(tm).

After the explosion of OS4 hitting the market, and the smoke clears a little, I'll upgrade to an XE board:-D
Someone has to state the obvious and that someone is me!

Offline odin

• Colonization had Galleons
    • Show only replies by odin
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2002, 06:37:15 PM »
I will not buy an AOne, at least the coming year. There's just not nuff cash on the bank :-/. I hope *crosses fingers* that the BlizzardPPC version will become reality so my ancient A1200 still has some juice left in it =).

Offline Darrin

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Darrin
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2002, 07:02:14 PM »
Well I took the plunge an hour ago and ordered an AmigaOneXE in a tower case from Compuquick.  Now all I need to do is start assembling the components...

I figured that as I was definately going to buy an AmigaOne then I may as well save an extra $65 on the OS by buying early.  If you calculate what percentage $65 is against the price of the A1 boards then it comes out as a fairly large discount.  Plus you get a free (tried and tested) distribution of LinSux.

Now all I need is information on what to do with that $50 Amiga Inc coupon... (no suggestions please!)
A2000, A3000, 2 x A1200T, A1200, A4000Tower & Mediator, CD32, VIC-20, C64, C128, C128D, PET 8032, Minimig & ARM, C-One, FPGA Arcade... and AmigaOne X1000.

Offline Marky_D_Sahd

• Show only replies by Marky_D_Sahd
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2002, 08:49:17 PM »

Darrin wrote:
Well I took the plunge an hour ago and ordered an AmigaOneXE in a tower case from Compuquick.  

Now all I need is information on what to do with that $50 Amiga Inc coupon... (no suggestions please!)

Eyetech syas to mail your receipt to Amiga Inc for a refund  (See my earlier post "They're not Coupons, they're Rebates.")

As for me, my family has hinted that Santa's merry elves are working on mine at this very moment!
Now featuring new and improved G4 AmigaOne, with Mozilla!