Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: DSL Woes, part Deux  (Read 3334 times)

Description:

Offline DamionTopic starter

DSL Woes, part Deux
« on: November 07, 2002, 10:54:48 PM »
 Well, the good news is that I'm trying not to get too frustrated.  :-)

I have searched long and hard for a local DSL sevice that offered traits that I thought would be suitable for Genesis, since nobody has the elusive Miami DX anymore.
  I have an A1200, 060, 3.9 and PCMCIA network card. The DSL provider uses static IP assigning, direct routing and no password.  I figured that I could get by without Miami DX because of the static assigning...I thought this would be ideal, at least according to Kruse's 'DSL FAQ' page!
 Cnet.device recognizes the card, and it seems to work fine, i.e. the link light on my dongle illuminates when I connect the cable from the modem. I know the service works, because the tech tried it on his laptop, and the light on the modem illuminates when it connects. I have entered correctly all of the IP numbers, and double checked everything fifty-thousand times. The DNS servers have static addresses, and it seems that neither Genesis nor Miami 3.2 can detect the DNS servers, even though I have correctly entered their addresses.
  I am not a complete moron I hope,  :-) but I am new at networking, and maybe I have overlooked something? all I can figure is this:
 Despite that the provider uses static everything, I still need Miami DX because Genesis and Miami 3.2 just don't get along with DSL modems, period.
  Does this sound accurate?
  If this is the case, will a router solve the situation? It seems that it wouldn't, because it would also assign a static address to the computer too, right? Or would the router do something to make the signal easier to comprehend by Genesis?
 If that's not the case, should I invest in a HD drive, cross-dos a disk and download the demo of Miami DX from aminet and hope for the best?
  Thanks in advance for your info, and sorry for all the questions! I'm just really tired of sneaking in net access at work!!!  

Re: DSL Woes, part Deux
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2002, 02:59:46 AM »
O.K, let me see if I can sum up that last mess into a couple of  no-nonsense, hard-hitting 'to the point' types of questions:
 Does Genesis work AT ALL with DSL modems via a PCMCIA network card on an A1200, or MUST I use the impossible to find Miami DX?
 Will a router solve the problem, or will Genesis have a hard time with anything from a DSL modem, regardless of how simple and straightforward static IP assigning seems to be?  

Please help! I'll sell my body into slavery if you'll help!(And are female and cute, of course! :-D )

Offline spiffydinosaur

• Show only replies by spiffydinosaur
    • http://www.geocities.com/spiffydinosaur/index.html
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2002, 03:28:33 AM »
I don't know about Genesis, but, I do know  the DSL I use needs PPPoE. If it dosen't support that your pretty well outa luck. But having said that, there is a bright spot. I am using a cheap Netgear router that acts like a DHCP server, it will also use static IP's. It's been working great for almost two years now.

Watch the DSL provider be sure to check speed; some " DSL " is nothing more than an ISDN line with the signaling channel bonded to the B Channels. A 144K pipe vs 1.5M or better for Real DSL.

P.S. you can keep your body to your self. My wife is already more than I can handle. ( Woo - Hoo! thanks GOD! )

Spiffy

Offline spihunter

• Show only replies by spihunter
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2002, 04:06:51 AM »
The DSL provider uses static IP assigning, direct routing and no password.

It sounds like your new ISP is some guy down the street running the whole show out of his basement :-D

I agree with spiffy, a router will save you as lot of headaches. I havent had to touch mine for about a year!

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2002, 04:12:37 AM »
 Thanks for the help. Apparantly this provider does not use PPPoE, but routes IP traffic directly to the computer with static IP addressing, which is why I thought Genesis would work...which TCP stack do you use?
  Does the router need any special configuration with a PC or anything first, or can I just hook it up on the miggy and let it fly?

Thanks again!

Offline spihunter

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2002, 04:34:22 AM »
The router logs into your ISP for you after
you configure it. It doesnt matter if you have a PC, MAC, amiga, etc... . I dont know why your ISP would not
be using PPPoE unless they werent really providing DSL. If its a ISDN line like spiffy sugested then maybe you have to log in to a Remote acceses server. I still dont understand the no password part.

Offline samdu

• Show only replies by samdu
    • http://ronintech.com/
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2002, 04:39:42 AM »
Most routers (outside of Cisco's which you won't be buying anyway :) are configured via a web browser. You should be okay without a PC.  If you have an old PC lying around, you could set up Linux on it and use iptables instead of a dedicated hardware router. Since you have a static IP address, you could also do lots of other cool stuff with the Linux box. I was lucky when I got my Bellsouth DSL that they weren't doing PPPoE yet, so I've got a static IP as well. Been running my website, mail server, ftp server, Samba domain controller, telnet/ssh server, router, firewall and more off of the Linux box ever since. Only had to reboot if the power has gone out (well, that and installing newer versions of Mandrake, and then only because I felt like it. :)
\\"Character is what we are in the dark.\\"
-Dr. Emelio Lizardo.

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2002, 04:42:39 AM »
 I guess it is strange, but I saw it running on the techs apple notebook, and I think the speed was around 300 somethings? K, perhaps? They just left me a DSL modem, and a sheet that had the IP address, subnet mask address, gateway address and two addresses for DNS servers. They told me that there was no password for their DSL, only for their dial-up. When I entered the info into Genesis or Miami 3.2, they couldn't detect the DNS servers...maybe I should just get the router and see what happens.

Offline spihunter

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2002, 04:45:40 AM »
@samdu

Bellsouth doesnt offer a static IP here so I switched
to earthlink. I tried to run a web server for awhile
but earthlink went down so much it was pointless.

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2002, 04:47:45 AM »
 Thanks everybody. So I think the problem must be that Genesis and Miami 3.2 don't like DSL modems, and I should get a router and do it that way. I just thought I was lucky to find a DSL ISP that didn't use PPPoE like all the major ones here, and that it would work easier with Genesis. I'll try the router!

Thank you guys!

Offline spihunter

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2002, 04:59:22 AM »
@D

I wish I could tell you that the router would work.
It seems like they gave you all the info needed
to hook up. I 'am using MIami 3.2 to get online
through the router using DHCP.

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2002, 05:11:03 AM »
 That's what I thought too, I figured it would be a seamless hook-up. It does seem weird that configuring a router to do the same thing that's already being done would be a bit redundant, but if it works I'll be happy, if not...I'll keep trying.

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2002, 05:47:19 AM »
  Well, I think I just had an idea. If you guys are using routers, it should work.

Maybe there is some weird compatability issue with the cable modem and the Amiga or something,(my family thinks I'm crazy) but if the router can successfully negotiate a connection with the modem, and Miami 3.2 can open cnet.device and speak with the router, it should work.

Any advice on a good router to buy? I've seen ones here made by Siemens and Linksys.

Siemens is a good German company... :-)

Offline spihunter

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2002, 06:25:07 AM »
@-D-

I'm using a linksys and it works fine. I bought it for 90 bucks a year ago!!. I've messed with some of the advanced settings on it and I'm suprised how much
you can do these days with a cheap router/static IP and a half way decent machine.

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2002, 06:39:07 AM »
 Great, I'll try it out! Thanks!