Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Mixing Boopsi and gadtools  (Read 3465 times)

Description:

Offline ronniebeckTopic starter

• Show only replies by ronniebeck
Mixing Boopsi and gadtools
« on: February 19, 2019, 08:49:14 PM »
So I have been delving into Amiga development and I hoping to draw on the collective wisdom of the community with a question.  I have been looking at both Boopsi and gadtools and found myself wanting to use both at the same time.  But I don't know if this is really possible.  My attempts thus far have produced strange behaviors such as some Boopsi objects not appearing at all.  Is it breaking some sort of implementation rule by trying to use both?

Offline Minuous

Re: Mixing Boopsi and gadtools
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2019, 03:34:56 AM »
IIRC there are ways to do it, not sure why you would want to though. Better to just use ReAction for everything, it is a superset of the GadTools functionality.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 03:45:47 AM by Minuous »

Offline ronniebeckTopic starter

• Show only replies by ronniebeck
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2019, 07:34:51 AM »
IIRC there are ways to do it, not sure why you would want to though. Better to just use ReAction for everything, it is a superset of the GadTools functionality.

Boopsi is much more powerful and flexible but prior to ReAction (and in the abscence of MUI or something similar) boopsi didn't provide simple elements, like for example a checkbox.  Gadtools does.  ReAction and similar are great if you intend to run you application on a machine with ReAction installed.  This would certainly be a solution.  But my goal is to distribute a bootable floppy.  Can I redistribute ReAction or does this require a license?  I suppose I could take the view point that nobody will care to pursue me if it were to be illegal.

The other avenue I see open to me is to either write my own boopsi objects or find some pre-existing open source ones I could include.

Thanks for the 2 cents.

Offline Thomas

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2019, 04:52:54 PM »

BOOPSI coexists perfectly with GadTools. Take Prefs/Palette (of WB 3.1) as an example. It mixes a GadTools GUI with external colorwheel and gradientslider BOOPSI gadgets.

I don't think you are allowed to distribute ReAction. And ReAction is OS 3.5+ only. You might want to have a look on ClassAct, the predecessor of ReAction. It's available on Aminet. There are only very few things which work with ReAction but not with ClassAct.

Offline mritter0

• Show only replies by mritter0
    • http://www.mritter0.com
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2019, 10:56:16 PM »
Use gtlayout.library.
Workbench Explorer - A better way to browse drawers