Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Alan Redhouse revealed the impressive future of AmigaOne!!!!! (from AmiGBG 2003)  (Read 13014 times)

Description:

Offline Dan

• Show only replies by Dan
Re: Alan Redhouse revealed the impressive future of AmigaOne!!!!! (from AmiGBG 2003)
« Reply #89 from previous page: April 01, 2003, 11:54:35 PM »
Morphos: Well it´s not really AmigaOS just emulation around a microkernel just as Amithlon/Umilator

And just as AmigaOS4. As for PPC-native software, it'll be up to developers if they want to make versions for both MorphOS and AmigaOS4. Quite a few seem to be interested in both.

No, AmigaOS4 is built from the original source code but cleaned up and improved beyond recognition!  :-D
Apple did it right the first time, bring back the Newton!

Offline Dan

• Show only replies by Dan
The DONGLE as you like to call it:
The bad thing is that this only benefits Eyetech not the users or Hyperion.
It´s not a dongle it´s firmware (BIOS/kickstart whatever).
Imagine an A500 without ROM,wouldn´t be  very useful.  :-)
That said other motherboard manufacturers should have a way of including the dongle thing( i´m thinking elbox shark), competiton is good. I don´t want eyetech to become the next Micro$oft.
I don´t want AmigaOS locked in with Eyetech/Teron, i want to be able to run it on anything thats possible PPC, x86,  StrongArm, anything.
But i understand that Hyperion need copyprotection so that they can atleast cover the development cost, look what happened the last time amiga had a big market.
Sadly I still belive more in AROS than in AmigaOS, and don´t get me started about AmigaOS 5.0 DE .....
Apple did it right the first time, bring back the Newton!

Offline gary_c

• Show only replies by gary_c
    • http://www.cunningham-lee.com
Dan wrote:
No, AmigaOS4 is built from the original source code but cleaned up and improved beyond recognition!  
I'm not sure building from the original source code is really better than doing a modern functional equivalent from a fresh start, even when the original source code is intact. But it's too arcane to debate. Labors of love such as AmigaOS4 and MorphOS deserve to succeed; let's hope they both find a niche. :-)

-- gary_c

Offline xaccrocheur

• Show only replies by xaccrocheur
Re: Alan Redhouse said something again
« Reply #92 on: April 02, 2003, 03:25:09 AM »

Seehund wrote:

The longest post in A.org history. I totally agree with you about the nonsense of creating a niche HW market. Sounds like a CBM idea from the good ol' years ;)

Have you helped saving  AmigaOS and a free PPC hardware market today?

Yes I have 8-)

pX

Offline Siggy

• Show only replies by Siggy
Linux runs on PLENTY of x86 boxes - WHERE are ALL THOSE WONDERFUL Linux Games?

Well seeing that Linux was never intended as a games platform -- and as has never really advertised itself as such...
Generally people are running linux as a unix replacement, or for server apps, still others just like hacking around on an OS where you have the source code to examine.

Still, you can find plenty of open source efforts at The Linux Game Tome, updates on games usually on Linux Games, oh and I remember seeing a couple being released on this site a while ago.....

Do you see a pattern here? Other OS' run on x86 - Developers code for Windows!

This must be why linux has no developers.... everything just lept fully formed from the forehead of Linus Torvalds, a-la Zeus.

There is a plethora of apps out there - which ipso-facto states there are a plethora of developers out there.  

Still, people in glass houses --- You ask me where my wonderful games are, I'll ask where is your wonderful OS...

Siggy.

The TV business is uglier than most things.
 It is normally perceived as some kind of cruel and shallow money trench through the heart of the Journalism industry, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs,

Offline Hammer

• Show only replies by Hammer

Dan wrote:
The DONGLE as you like to call it:
The bad thing is that this only benefits Eyetech not the users or Hyperion.

Did Hyperion said anything negative regarding the use of 'dongle'?

That said other motherboard manufacturers should have a way of including the dongle thing( i´m thinking elbox shark), competiton is good. I don´t want eyetech to become the next Micro$oft.

Eyetech is hardly Microsoft i.e. I recall Eyetech doesn't create the OS.  

I don´t want AmigaOS locked in with Eyetech/Teron, i want to be able to run it on anything thats possible PPC, x86,  StrongArm, anything.

Only IF more vendors will come and obtain the license to get the AmigaOS 4.0 for their motherboards then there would be other alternatives.

The licensing model that AmigaOS group seems to be employing is the PalmOS model. Note that Microsoft has entirely different model compared to PalmOS or AmigaOS 4.x.

Sadly I still belive more in AROS than in AmigaOS,

AROS is nice, but it doesn't run any legacy AmigaOS applications (without the use of UAE).
Amiga 1200 PiStorm32-Emu68-RPI 4B 4GB.
Ryzen 9 7900X, DDR5-6000 64 GB, RTX 4080 16 GB PC.

Offline Helgis75Topic starter

• Show only replies by Helgis75
I certainly look forward to a very exciting time with my A1G4XE when i get it soon! :-) It gonna be a great pleasure! I miss the AmigaOS, so i definitely look forward to use the new AmigaOS 4!!!  :-)

Helgis - AMIGA DEFINITELY makes it all possible!!!

Offline Atheist

• Show only replies by Atheist
As long as the "dongle" doesn't leave a finger print, i.e. unique serial no. in each machine, I have no problem with it. I wonder if there's a loss of performance, even .5% is too much.

For the people that seem to want to just get a copy of AOS4.0 and buy an imuc, well, there are several million of those (imucs) out there, and I doubt many of those users would PAY for the OS.

Let's look at the numbers.

500 UKP = $542 dollars for the board * approx. 1000 immediate orderers = $542,000.

Egg on MY face!

500 UKP = $783.39 US dollars for the board * approx. 1000 immediate orderers = $783,390.

Apologies, all round. Thanks MiniBobF.

BUT, they purchased Amiga IP rights from Gateway 2000, in Dec. 1999 for at LEAST $5,000,000.

WHERE IS THE PROFIT???? It's 3 1/2 years later, how are we being gouged??? SOMEONE needs to pony up their investment cost. And there aren't 250,000 of us out here to split the cost up/lower cost of production. The only chance is to make some units, that they can shop around to the BIG players, to show what all of the HOOPLA was about.

It will cost the few of us dearly out of pocket, but everything of value has SOME martyrs!!

Besides, as I've said before, participate and feel special, WHO THE HELL ELSE WOULD DO THIS FOR FANATICS LIKE US????

AmigaOne! Passion, eloquence, freedom, personality!
\\"Which would you buy? The Crappy A1200, 15 years out of date... or the Mobile Phone that I have?\\" -- bloodline
So I guess that A500, 600, 1000, 2000, CDTV, CD32, are pure garbage then? Thanks for posting here.

Offline Siggy

• Show only replies by Siggy
@Helgis

You know, I really hope you get your board soon.
I hope that OS4 is hot on it's tail and you don't have to wait too long
to play with it.
I hope that it's fast, responsive, and that it brings with it the simple fun
that I recall from playing with all the Ami's that I've owned over the years.

Most of all I hope that it ends the squabbling and general b@tchiness that
abounds at the moment.

If it's released, and it lives up to expectations - if it's what I would expect of
an Amiga... or if it looks like it has the potential to join the equipment that is now
my lifesblood, I'll write out a cheque for an entire system.

If not, I'll let what classic equipment I have serve out it's last days in service,
file the Amiga under the 'good ole days' of my computing hobby and move on.

It'll be kept in good company with computers that date back to the mid 70's.
But I'm too old for optimism, and have too many responsibilities to spend that kind of
money on faith alone.

I'll make my judgments when I see the product.

Siggy.
The TV business is uglier than most things.
 It is normally perceived as some kind of cruel and shallow money trench through the heart of the Journalism industry, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs,

Offline JurassicCamper

• Show only replies by JurassicCamper

gary_c wrote:
I'm not sure building from the original source code is really better than doing a modern functional equivalent from a fresh start

Thats what hyperion have done with EXECSG.  :roll:

As for the dongle I would imagine that during the installation a function / functions will be called that are in the ROM.

Or if the boot device is set to CD-ROM then it will check for specific files on the CD before installing it.  

This way the system  knows you have a Amiga OS CD in the drive and will stop it from booting from the CD-ROM.

So what about a cloned HD with OS4 already installed.

Well I image that the HAL or EXEC during initialisation will call functions in the ROM that need to be present for the OS to Boot.

This is the way I would do it rather than checking a memory location in the ROM for a value as that could be easily cracked as the comparision value needed would have to be in the HAL / EXEC code its self.

A1200T PPC 330Mhz in a Custom Modified Fractal Design R3 Case

Thank to you who so kindly are cheering me up and so positive to the news of the AmigaOne! Thank you!

I do have a lot of ideas about what to do when i get my motherboard. I do have a lot of plans! I want to be able to feed ideas of new 3D-games for the AmigaOne-platform to the big software houses! I want to make wonderful music and a lot more!

Keep the feedback coming! It could get over 100 replies here! This is undoubly the most popular topics these times!  :-)  :-)  :-)  :-)  :-)  :-)  :-D  :-D  :-D

This topic truly ROCKS!!!!!!!! :-)  :-)  :-)  :-D  :-D  :-D  :-D

This is reply number 100! Wow! Keep the replies coming! Let push the topic to new heighs!!!! :-)

Offline z5

• Show only replies by z5
    • http://ada.untergrund.net
well, i for one can't understand why somebody is so excited about a linux box, unless he is seriously interested in linux ofcourse  ;-)  But then everybody is entitled top their opinion ofcourse.

I've got the impression that Helgis expects his OS4 in a week or two but that will not be the case. So until OS4 is released, it is a linux box, probably interesting to developers and linux users.

I for one am not one bit excited about the AOne. I will buy it because i want OS4 but that's it. Ofcourse, i am really happy that it will finally support industry standard hardware, meaning that i will be able to go into my local computer store and buy hardware cheap.

And the idea that i will get a decent graphics card is also nice, as well as i soundcard.

But excited about AOne? naah, OS4 is the thing to look out for. Amiga used to be about the combination of the OS and the custom hardware. Now, it will be the OS only that makes it an Amiga.
A.miga D.emoscene A.rchive: Relive the dreams...

I agree with someone in the point that AmigaOne is nothing special without OS4. With OS4, the users will feel very much at home. No, i don't expect the OS4 to be out that soon. I guess Mai or June, after having read Alans' speech very carefully. But running Linux isn't that bad either. Think about all the amazing games on the Mac-side, and you can run MOL (Mac On Linux)! Yes, that's right! That what you can do! For the moment, Linux will do just fine..

The point for AmigaOne to be an alternative to the Linux-platform is to be the cheapest and the most flexible choice of hardware other than the traditional x86 and Windows-territory..I think most people are more or less tired with the Windows-systems anyway, so such a new PPC-platform like AmigaOne is truly a BREEZE!!!

Offline Atheist

• Show only replies by Atheist
@ z5

I love the integrated SW/HW combo that Amiga is, but they couldn't afford to make a multi-register 256 bit blitter, 256 bit custom Zorro IV bus, SMP, 64 bit CPU, and all the other "goodies" that Amiga could be, ... we have to wait for them to rake in their first billion!!!  :-D   :-D   :-D

BUT, can't Helgis75 at least use Linux UAE?? It does exist, doesn't it?

AmigaOne! Chicken and the egg, so the A1G4XE is ....?
\\"Which would you buy? The Crappy A1200, 15 years out of date... or the Mobile Phone that I have?\\" -- bloodline
So I guess that A500, 600, 1000, 2000, CDTV, CD32, are pure garbage then? Thanks for posting here.

Offline JurassicCamper

• Show only replies by JurassicCamper

Helgis75 wrote:
I agree with someone in the point that AmigaOne is nothing special without OS4. With OS4, the users will feel very much at home. No, i don't expect the OS4 to be out that soon. I guess Mai or June, after having read Alans' speech very carefully.

[speculation]
It maybe sooner, at least internally anyway.

Rogue commented the other day that's its almost done.

Alan also said he is back in China in 2 weeks for another conference seminar.

He put up this ppc forum slide and look at the last bullet point.

They want to show the benifits of PPC. I dont think he'll be taking his CD32 along to do that.
[/speculation]

A1200T PPC 330Mhz in a Custom Modified Fractal Design R3 Case