Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: IDE on GVP A3001 Accelerator  (Read 2129 times)

Description:

Offline OlecranonTopic starter

• Show only replies by Olecranon
IDE on GVP A3001 Accelerator
« on: August 09, 2006, 11:42:34 PM »
Hi everyone,

I recently picked up an A2000 system with a GVP A3001 Accelerator installed.  This is a series II (rev 8 I think) board running a 68030 @ 50Mhz.  When I popped the system open I was surprised to see the SCSI hard drives running off a GVP HC+8 SCSI controller instead of the accelerator card.  After a bit of looking, I noticed that the controller on the 030 board was IDE and not SCSI.

So...  a couple questions.

1) would you suggest I pull the SCSI out of the system and try to install an IDE drive?  

2) anyone know what jumper settings I need to enable the IDE controller on this card?

3) I read something on Ralph Babels web site about these early IDE controllers being incompatible with lots of IDE drives.  Does anyone have any experience using this card with IDE hard drives?

Thanks

Offline DamageX

• Show only replies by DamageX
    • http://www.hyakushiki.net/
Re: IDE on GVP A3001 Accelerator
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2006, 05:02:56 AM »
I have the same setup, 50MHz GVP A3001 and GVP HC+8

I have an 80MB IDE drive that was originally included with the A3001 but that is the ONLY drive that seemed to work with it. I tried some larger (400MB-2.5GB) WD, Seagate, and Quantum drives without success. So I disabled the IDE and use a 2GB drive attached to the HC+8 instead, it's faster anyway.

Offline Demonlord

• Show only replies by Demonlord
    • http://None
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2006, 10:04:05 AM »
Here is all you need at this site
http://www.amiga-hardware.com/

Offline OlecranonTopic starter

• Show only replies by Olecranon
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2006, 02:53:02 AM »

DamageX wrote:
I have the same setup, 50MHz GVP A3001 and GVP HC+8

I have an 80MB IDE drive that was originally included with the A3001 but that is the ONLY drive that seemed to work with it. I tried some larger (400MB-2.5GB) WD, Seagate, and Quantum drives without success. So I disabled the IDE and use a 2GB drive attached to the HC+8 instead, it's faster anyway.

Thanks for the responses.  One final question.  I've decided to just stay with SCSI and use a GVP HC+8 SCSI controller.  This is a DMA controller and it has 2 MB of RAM installed.  Am I better off removing the memory and going strictly with 32bit RAM?  Or doesn't it matter because the GVP controller cant DMA in 32bit memory (if my memory is correct)?

Thanks again

Offline LoadWB

• Show only replies by LoadWB
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2006, 03:21:23 AM »
That's a good question, and one I should have to face when deciding on my own A500 setup, which will either include the Derringer 50MHz '030 with 32MB 32-bit RAM and a GVP Impact-II SCSI, or the A530 Turbo 40MHz '030 with it's own on-board RAM (8MB max, currently loaded.)

IIRC, the GVP DMA controller can DMA into any RAM mapped into Zorro II memory space, that is, the 8MB RAM.  I do not recall if that memory is required to be 16-bit or not, but it wouldn't suprise me.  I think CPU cards map their RAM into either non-standard mapping or odd positioning (like my old MTec 020i) or into what would be considered Zorro III memory space.

Offline DamageX

• Show only replies by DamageX
    • http://www.hyakushiki.net/
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2006, 05:42:52 AM »
I think you should leave the RAM installed in the HC+8 since it can't hurt anything. The 32-bit RAM should take priority for applications (maybe with older kickstarts you have to set it manually but I've only used 3.1) and I think that if you have everything configured correctly then the RAM on the HC+8 can be used for buffers which saves some 32bit RAM and also allows for the fastest possible DMA speed.

Whether or not the A3001's RAM is outside the ZorroII address space depends on which RAM board you have (IIRC). I have 12MB of 32bit RAM and it is (naturally) outside the ZorroII space so it can't be accessed by the HC+8

On my system (I have 4MB installed in the HC+8, and I have FFS with 2KB blocks and 160 buffers), diskspeed says it can get up to 3.5MB/s

Offline sjamaan

• Show only replies by sjamaan
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2019, 11:47:47 AM »
I acquired a similar non-working system but I got the A2000 to work.
I don't remember the jumper settings for everything initially, I should have taken a pic...
I have an A3001 rev 8 with a RAM32 board works perfectly installed by itself...
but put in the A2000-hc+8 SCSI board and doesn't recognise the scsi drives.
the A2000-hc+8 scsi board works with KS3.1 but intitial boot up registers and error..
then you can boot from the scsi drive...
please tell me the jumper settings etc how your system booted from the scsi drive.

regards..
Rob *shaman