Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Did we all just witness Windows start to die?  (Read 10406 times)

Description:

Offline Matt_H

Re: Did we all just witness Windows start to die?
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2013, 12:20:04 AM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;741836
If Windows is dying, it's because they hacked it to death trying to turn it into a tablet OS, not because of this "death-of-the-PC" myth nonsense.

Bingo.

Some additional thoughts:

When they first announced they were porting Windows to ARM, I thought it was a bold move. Then the ARM version turned out to be Windows RT, a cut-down, crippleware version of Windows 8, itself suffering from a terrible identity crisis.

If Windows ARM had been full Windows (like Linux - same system, multiple architectures), they would have had something, especially with an x86-to-ARM (and vice versa) emulator. Instead, they're forcing everything through the 30%-cut Windows Store, cutting off decades worth of programs and reasons for using Windows. They had an opportunity to unify the platform - instead of just the UI - across form factors and they blew it.

Meanwhile, on x86, they're not outright restricting proper desktop programs, but they're sure not encouraging the appropriate UI for the form factor. Surely they could have used the "design language" of Metro to develop a desktop UI toolkit that would be familiar to both traditional desktop users and Windows Phone users.

And if they'd bothered pushing the "one-program-multiple-interfaces" feature of Windows 8, their problems would be solved: one codebase to build desktop and touch versions. Instant ecosystem.

Microsoft has a bad habit of messing with what works. XP fixed the stability and usability problems of the Win95-WinME era, so they followed it with the travesty of Vista. Windows 7 cleaned up that mess, so they threw it away and gave us desktop Metro instead.

I don't think 8.1 will stop the bleeding. It'll probably take them until 8.5 or 9.0 to turn things around.

Offline djos

• Show only replies by djos
    • http://users.adam.com.au/djorlc/
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2013, 12:26:50 AM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;741836
If Windows is dying, it's because they hacked it to death trying to turn it into a tablet OS, not because of this "death-of-the-PC" myth nonsense.

Agreed, Windows 8 is a POS, I binned my PC and bought a Mac, I have Parallels+Win7 just in case but I rarely ever need it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Amiga 1200 w/ ACA1220 16Mhz 128MB w/ RTC, 4GB CF-HDD, Roland MT-32 MIDI Synthesiser
Amiga 500 w/ KS2.05, 1Mb Chip-Ram, CF-IDE w/4MB Fast-Ram, FDD Boot Selector, HxC RevC Floppy emulator
Commodore 64 w/ 1541 Ultimate-II inc Tape Adapter, JiffyDOS, 1541 Disk Drive, 1531 Datasette, Flyer Net Modem

Offline NovaCoder

« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2013, 12:35:07 AM »
Windows or more accurate the Desktop OS has been on death row every since smart phones and tablets became popular.   In say 5/10 years the 'traditional' home computer will be as retro as my A1200 :)
Life begins at 100 MIPS!

Nice Ports on AmiNet!

Offline NovaCoder

« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2013, 12:39:42 AM »
Windows or more accurate the Desktop OS has been on death row every since smart phones and tablets became popular.   I'd say 5/10 years the 'traditional' home computer will be as retro as my A1200 :)

MS are in trouble really, they are doing 'ok' with their phone platform, the XBOX One probably won't be as successfully as the 360, their Search business continues to lose $$$, their tablets are drowning and the desktop market is fading fast.    At least they've got the MS Office and the business/server market to keep them in the black zone.
Life begins at 100 MIPS!

Nice Ports on AmiNet!

Offline ElPolloDiabl

• Show only replies by ElPolloDiabl
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2013, 12:53:01 AM »
It wouldn't ever fully die because of a lot of people like MS. I'm not sure if you can count people who just want their computer to 'do things' and don't care what OS it's running.

Maybe their monopoly status stops them from making something people can't resist buying.
Go Go Gadget Signature!

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2013, 01:01:05 AM »
Quote from: ElPolloDiabl;741880
It wouldn't ever fully die because of a lot of people like MS. I'm not sure if you can count people who just want their computer to 'do things' and don't care what OS it's running.
But that's the thing that's really baffling about Win8. There is no better way to piss off the people who want "it just works" than to change the way things are done for no good reason and demand they get used to it...
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline djos

• Show only replies by djos
    • http://users.adam.com.au/djorlc/
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2013, 01:06:27 AM »
Quote from: NovaCoder;741879
MS are in trouble really, they are doing 'ok' with their phone platform, the XBOX One probably won't be as successfully as the 360,

I disagree, the pre-order numbers are waay ahead of the 360 according to the analysts (same for ps4) - i waited for the hdmi 360 myself before buying but i've pre-ordered a One as I think it will be pretty good. The HD Skype alone is going to be great for us with lots of family and freinds OS.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Amiga 1200 w/ ACA1220 16Mhz 128MB w/ RTC, 4GB CF-HDD, Roland MT-32 MIDI Synthesiser
Amiga 500 w/ KS2.05, 1Mb Chip-Ram, CF-IDE w/4MB Fast-Ram, FDD Boot Selector, HxC RevC Floppy emulator
Commodore 64 w/ 1541 Ultimate-II inc Tape Adapter, JiffyDOS, 1541 Disk Drive, 1531 Datasette, Flyer Net Modem

Offline NovaCoder

« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2013, 01:39:09 AM »
Quote from: djos;741882
I disagree, the pre-order numbers are waay ahead of the 360 according to the analysts (same for ps4) - i waited for the hdmi 360 myself before buying but i've pre-ordered a One as I think it will be pretty good. The HD Skype alone is going to be great for us with lots of family and freinds OS.

We'll see, I did say probably ;)

Lots of people think the days of the console are as dead as the idea people will use their PC's to access the Internet, I think Nintendo would agree with that.    If you look at the XBOX One you can see that MS is also thinking the same thing, it's a 'voice activated home media-web browser-cable-tv controller-social media center' first and a games console a distant second.

I doubt that MS will sell more XBOX One's than 360's over it's lifetime (80 million+).
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 01:59:22 AM by NovaCoder »
Life begins at 100 MIPS!

Nice Ports on AmiNet!

Offline nicholas

« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2013, 01:56:55 AM »
I hope MS dies the horrible death it deserves for the misery it inflicted upon developers for the last 20yrs.

I couldn't give a toss whether dumb users liked their products.
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline matt3k

« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2013, 02:06:37 AM »
My 2 cents...

The PC is supposedly dying, that is why both Microsoft and Intel stocks have been flat. MS wants to better compete in the mobile market and has made a few attempts.  Windows 8 wasn't a great success and they had a major restructure at MS to deal with the new market.  

They have about 40 billion dollars just sitting in the bank to deal with a changing market, with that kind of cash you can have many false starts and launch heavy opposition.  Microsoft dominates markets and destroys competition, so I don't think MS or Windows will be going anywhere soon...

I do wish that Commodore was in this position and that the Amiga was the Market leader, but that's life.

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2013, 03:01:41 AM »
Windows will linger on as the operating system of the desktop, which will go the way of the netbook, dodo and Google Wave in a decade or so.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline stefcep2

• Show only replies by stefcep2
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2013, 03:09:39 AM »
Quote from: Matt_H;741874

Microsoft has a bad habit of messing with what works. XP fixed the stability and usability problems of the Win95-WinME era, so they followed it with the travesty of Vista. Windows 7 cleaned up that mess, so they threw it away and gave us desktop Metro instead.

Why the Vista hate?

My first experience with it was with Vista Business SP1 on a 2 GB RAM netbook.  When I switched it on, it was horrible because the hard drive was indexing 20 GB of crapware files HP had installed.  I didn't know this, and cursed it.  And went to XP Pro.

A year later, the drive crashed and I did a fresh install of Vista business SP1.  Totally different experience.  Since then i have a PC desktop and laptop with Vista business and Win 7.  Other thna a longer boot time (10 seconds on average) Vista is great.

By Vista SP2 it ended up reliable, stable and compatible. And looks nicer.

I bet if I put a Win 7 theme most people would never know it was Vista underneath.

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2013, 03:30:10 AM »
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2013, 03:36:59 AM »
Keep repeating your same old mantra, persia. Maybe if you wish hard enough it will come true.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2013, 03:47:04 AM »
Quote from: stefcep2;741915
Why the Vista hate?

This sums it up nicely.

I bet if I put a Win 7 theme most people would never know it was Vista underneath.

Quite possible. Under the hood, Windows Vista is really version 6.0 and Windows 7 is really version 6.1. They fixed a lot, though!

Offline ElPolloDiabl

• Show only replies by ElPolloDiabl
« Reply #29 from previous page: July 24, 2013, 04:24:52 AM »
Quote from: persia;741916

Just replace the tablet with a HP all in one.

I personally don't like a laptop as a desktop replacement would prefer a smaller desktop to a laptop. Like a HP all-in-one for example.

Maybe you should get the CPUs out for comparison. Some of them are very tiny.
Go Go Gadget Signature!