Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Palm PDA  (Read 2240 times)

Description:

Offline mpiva

• Show only replies by mpiva
    • http://members.shaw.ca/michpiva
Re: Palm PDA
« Reply #14 from previous page: November 26, 2010, 07:54:15 PM »
Quote from: Tenacious;594500
Again, I'm surprised several of you mentioned games. I've never played anything beyond Minehunt and Othello while waiting for a plane.  Mpiva, what great games did you find?

Redshift has some awesome RPGs.  They have amazing graphics but since they're old fashioned turn-based RPGs they're great to play in a casual setting such as a waiting room.  You can be in the middle of fighting a monster and, when the nurse calls your name, simply turn it off and continue later.  There's no worring about dying because you looked up at the wrong moment.

Warfare Incorporated (sorry can't seem to find a working link) was, by far, the best RTS game on the Palm.

Rifle Slugs was a good Worms-like game.

Ricochet was a great brick-out type game.

And, of course, there was Bejeweled2.
-- Michael A. Piva --

"In engineering, there is no single truth, no one right answer; there\'s a canvas, and you paint it your way, only with chips or gates or subroutines rather than actual paint. That\'s the Amiga..."
-Dave Haynie

Offline espenbo

• Show only replies by espenbo
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2010, 09:07:41 PM »
I still use my palm tungsten e2.
I use the calander program DateBk6. Use it every day. Writhing up my work orders and wath I have done.
I sync it with googel calander. So I can link up and see what my wife has pland for the afternoon.

So for me nothing beats the old palm for keeping me in the rigth place.

Espen

Offline tone007

« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2010, 10:15:20 PM »
Never liked Palm.  Gave Sony the benefit of the doubt and bought the U50 or something like that, cool hardware but the OS was such crap I found it useless.  $500 down the drain!

The new WebOS (sounds like they got smart and dropped the whole "Palm" thing if I've heard right) looks decent, but I don't think it's any competition for Android, iPhone, or even Windows Phone.
3 Commodore file cabinets, 2 Commodore USB turntables, 1 AmigaWorld beer mug
Alienware M14x i7 laptop running AmigaForever

Offline motrucker

« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2010, 03:55:30 AM »
I still use an old Palm Zire 72. It works great, never missed a beat.
A2000 GVP 40MHz \'030, 21Mb RAM SD/FF, 2 floppies, internal CD-ROM drive, micromys v3 w/laser mouse
A1000 Microbotics Starboard II w/2Mb 1080, & external floppy (AIRdrive)
C-128 w/1571, 1750, & Final Cartridge III+

Offline TenaciousTopic starter

• Show only replies by Tenacious
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2010, 04:38:30 AM »
Quote from: tone007;597323
Never liked Palm.  Gave Sony the benefit of the doubt and bought the U50 or something like that, cool hardware but the OS was such crap I found it useless.  $500 down the drain!

The new WebOS (sounds like they got smart and dropped the whole "Palm" thing if I've heard right) looks decent, but I don't think it's any competition for Android, iPhone, or even Windows Phone.

A great deal depends upon what you expect Palm OS to do for you.  The current fashion is to participate in an ultra connected world.  Palm hit its high mark before all that existed.  It was originally conceived as a portable personal computing device and optionally, thru Hot Syncing, be an extension of your computer desktop.  The earliest and most humble Palms do that brilliantly.  Also, a huge open source library grew up around this very compact and efficient OS.

And here's the sacrilege.  What if someone does not want to be connected?  What if someone wants their data to be completely private?  Just try to find a modern device with PDA-like function (or e-book reader) that is NOT connected whether you want it to be or not.  Privacy is increasingly a concept of the past.  

My nephew was showing off an astronomy program on his droid the other day.  With GPS, the program knew his location down to the meter.  It also knew its orientation.  If he merely pointed it at Ursa Major, that constellation showed on the screen.  He could not have been more thrilled (or trusting).  I could not have been more horrified.  Corporations know most users will give away their soul for a new connected feature.

The noose is tightening and no one seems in the least concerned.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 04:43:16 AM by Tenacious »

Offline beller

• S.A.C.C.
    • Show only replies by beller
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2010, 05:42:49 AM »
I've had a bunch of Palm devices but I no longer use thm.  My last regular writing job was with Handheld Magazine.  My editor there was Denny Atkin ( yes the guy who wrote the Amiga tips book).

I recently found a mobile device I really like...an iPad!

Offline Fransexy_

• Show only replies by Fransexy_
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2010, 11:43:08 AM »
Quote from: tone007;597323

WebOS is far better than Windows phone, Android or even Iphone OS, if it is not competition is because marketing reasons and not because the quality of the OS
DON\'T TAKE LIFE SO SERIOUSLY AFTER ALL NOBODY GETS OUT ALIVE OF IT

Offline Xanxi

• Show only replies by Xanxi
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2010, 11:59:50 AM »
I would be glad to move to a WebOS device if this garantees me 100% backward compatibility with my TH55 without data loss.
10 Classic Amiga Computers so far: I have too many computers!!

Offline tone007

« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2010, 01:23:53 PM »
Quote from: Fransexy_;597378
WebOS is far better than Windows phone, Android or even Iphone OS, if it is not competition is because marketing reasons and not because the quality of the OS

Last I checked (it's been a few months,) the software library was also a fraction of the size of iPhone and Android's.  Not to say you can't find what you need, but if there are only 2 or 3 variations on an application you're less likely to find one that suits you best when the competition has 20 or 30 variations.

Here's a good one.  HP bought Palm, correct?  Apparently they didn't like WebOS enough to put it on this flashy new HP printer, it comes with an Android tablet as a detachable control panel! http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/12/hp-photosmart-estation-c510-printer-android-tablet-now-on-sale/

I played with one in the store yesterday, it's very nice.
3 Commodore file cabinets, 2 Commodore USB turntables, 1 AmigaWorld beer mug
Alienware M14x i7 laptop running AmigaForever