Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Empire War game of the Century  (Read 1743 times)

Description:

Offline smerfTopic starter

• Show only replies by smerf
Empire War game of the Century
« on: October 15, 2011, 10:16:36 PM »
Hi,

I have a problem, while going through my old Amiga game collection, I came upon a game called Empire war game of the century. I figured I would give it a try, and have been up playing it 3 days in a row, this game is like a drug, I keep saying just one more move, I know I can take that city back.

Anyone else ever play this game and have the same results.

Crysis 2, is good, the graphics are great but the game play is sort of you know, not addictive. I want to see if I can beat it, but ahhh I can put it away, or quit playing at anytime.

Empire war game of the century, the graphics suck, the sound, well mediocre, but the game play is addictive at best, can't quit or put it down, want that one more move. I know I can beat their attack.

God help me I am losing it. (hope I didn't put a personal attack on God here, I think he is more powerful than Argos, --- isn't he?).

smerf
I have no idea what your talking about, so here is a doggy with a small pancake on his head.

MorphOS is a MAC done a little better

Offline ChaosLord

• Show only replies by ChaosLord
    • http://totalchaoseng.dbv.pl/news.php
Re: Empire War game of the Century
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2011, 10:43:31 PM »
Of course I played it.  
I liked Empire for a short time back in the 80's.  I knew one of the guys who designed it (I met him at a Stop n Go playing Satan's Hollow arcade game and he told me about some starfleet battles game they were working on).

I played Empire several times but it kept crashing on me, usually when moving a flying unit and scrolling the map.  It was really annoying.

When I called the company to politely report the bug they gave me this LAME excuse that: "It is NOT a bug in our code sir.  It is a well-known fact that all Amigas are poorly built and their blitter chip overheats and crashes the machine.   If you want to complain then call Commodore."

No amount of reasoning with them worked.  I tried to explain that there were zillionz of other games using the blitter a lot more than Empire that worked 100% reliably.  But they would not listen and just got mad at me.  They refused to fix the bug or even just investigate it.

So I quit playing the game.

Then I took all of the addictiveness out of the game, refined it,  purified it, magnified it, catalyzed it and made it 32x more addictive.   I also removed all the buggy crashiness.  Then I built a time machine  out of a C64 SID chip (wired in backwards), a tesla coil, an Energizer  Bunny, my A500 and some duct tape.  Then I went back in time and poured  the addictive potion into Total Chaos OCS to make the Wargame of the  Millenium.
Wanna try a wonderfull strategy game with lots of handdrawn anims,
Magic Spells and Monsters, Incredible playability and lastability,
English speech, etc. Total Chaos AGA

Offline wiser3

• Show only replies by wiser3
    • http://www.trep4.com/
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2011, 02:53:38 AM »
I loved Empire, played it for ages. Never had any crashing problems. I was playing it as recently as a couple years ago in WinUAE.

Right now i'm playing Civilization. If you've never tried Civ give it a go. It's much like Empire but there's a bit more to manage in order to build your army.

Offline Wolfe

• Show only replies by Wolfe
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2011, 04:13:50 AM »
Cheap graphics and blasĂ© sound but addictive play . . . Lost many years of my life to that game.  I still donate more from time to time.  Another game I found fun with crappy graphics and beeping sound was Reach for the Stars . . . . :-)

Still addicted to this day . . . Nuclear War!
Avatar Babe:  Monica Bellucci  -    :love:

Offline TheBilgeRat

• Show only replies by TheBilgeRat
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2011, 04:53:46 AM »
Quote from: Wolfe;663667
Still addicted to this day . . . Nuclear War!

Yesss!!!!  I used to rock at that game back in the day on my 1200, now it seems they always own me on my 4000.

Offline Wolfe

• Show only replies by Wolfe
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2011, 11:01:44 AM »
Remember, always kill the Carter . . .

No, its not a shortcut to winning but it always made me feel good . . LOL
Avatar Babe:  Monica Bellucci  -    :love:

Offline pVC

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2011, 04:41:35 PM »
Quote from: smerf;663634

Anyone else ever play this game and have the same results.

Yeah, Empire rules. We played it countless hours as multiplayer locally in the early 90s. And then over ten years later we did remember that it has "play by mail" option, which could be read as "play by internet" by then :). Game multitasks nicely and we had Amigas connected to internet and IRC... voilĂ , almost realtime online multiplayer strategy enjoyment when you sent the files with DCC on IRC \o/ Couple of nights went again.

Never had any crash issues on A500 or A1200. Been stable as rock here always.
Daily MorphOS user and Amiga active.

Offline Ral-Clan

• Show only replies by Ral-Clan
    • http://www3.sympatico.ca/clarke-santin/
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2011, 07:31:24 PM »
Great game and I still play it under WinUAE.

I do remember that when the game was released there were a few early versions that were crashy - that happened to me after playing a long game.

Later versions seem stable.

Sorry I do not know the particular version numbers, but it seems you have the stable version if you've been up playing it for three days.

MechForce is another fun game!
Music I've made using Amigas and other retro-instruments: http://theovoids.bandcamp.com