Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Contaced a Factory in China about producing a run of fully populated Mini-migs  (Read 17096 times)

Description:

Offline HenryCase

• Show only replies by HenryCase
Re: Contacted a Factory in China about producing a run of fully populated Mini-migs
« Reply #239 from previous page: December 16, 2007, 02:19:36 PM »
@Crom00
Two questions:
1. What quotes have you had for 1000+ production runs?
2. Would subsequent runs be cheaper?
"OS5 is so fast that only Chuck Norris can use it." AeroMan

Offline Darrin

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Darrin

HenryCase wrote:
@Crom00
Two questions:
1. What quotes have you had for 1000+ production runs?
2. Would subsequent runs be cheaper?

In all seriousness, I doubt Crom will wait to let us know the cost of the production run as he'll want to be able to make a bit of money for his efforts and will need to cover s&h and possible "dead boards".

If he was to admit that 100 boards cost $10,000 (for example) and there was a $1000 tool-up charge then people would be demand him to sell them for $110 each and a few would insult him for selling for anything more.

I certainly wouldn't admit the price and simply anounce a retail cost per unit on a take-it-or-leave-it basis.
A2000, A3000, 2 x A1200T, A1200, A4000Tower & Mediator, CD32, VIC-20, C64, C128, C128D, PET 8032, Minimig & ARM, C-One, FPGA Arcade... and AmigaOne X1000.

Offline Crom00Topic starter

• Show only replies by Crom00
Problem is that the final cost depends on many factors. Not just first cost on manufacturing.

Also, prices can vary from month to month (even in toys).

For example, I can agree to a price... then said factory gets an order for 100,000 units from another customer. They then have to change prices moving forward to justify working with our small numbers.

Oh and of course, a project like this will be run like a business, not a charity. With that said, having somekind of  contributtion to AROS rom replacement bounty makes total sense.

In the end you can't please everyone. Having done toy projects it's funny to see folks complain about retail prices at release.

They then refuse to purchase said item at full retail price. They hem and haw on message boards, write you letters.Call your office.

They wait until the item goes on closeout. Then drive 20 miles to every mass retailer to pickup mutiple copies of the once $30 item for just $9.99.

They keep one or two and resell the other 10 on ebay at a premium.

They're even bold enough to post on  your website and offer the items to mesage board members... at a premium price of course. LOL!

Meanwhile the toy manufaturer takes a $100,000+ bath on a  markdwon penalty from retailers.

No thanks!
Having a specialty product at a Hobbyist price avoids such a mess.

Offline HenryCase

Darrin wrote:
I certainly wouldn't admit the price and simply anounce a retail cost per unit on a take-it-or-leave-it basis.

Fair point.

Crom00 wrote:
Problem is that the final cost depends on many factors. Not just first cost on manufacturing.

Also, prices can vary from month to month (even in toys).

Two more good points.

Crom00, can you at least give us a ball park retail figure to gauge interest (using the figures from the companies you've had offers from so far, natch)?

Offline tonyyeb

• Show only replies by tonyyeb

HenryCase wrote:

Crom00, can you at least give us a ball park retail figure to gauge interest (using the figures from the companies you've had offers from so far, natch)?

Yeah what would be the retail price for the item at the current costings?
Chris (aka tonyyeb)

Offline unknown1

• Show only replies by unknown1
    • http://www.narrowgaugenews.net
I think $100-150 would be entirely reasonable for us Amiga Fans.

When eventually done like the Commodore 64 DTV in massive :idea: quantities I think something like $59.95-79.95 would be right.  :-D
Russell - Idaho USA
\\"I think I need some private time with eBay and a credit card\\"

Offline HenryCase

unknown1 wrote:
I think $100-150 would be entirely reasonable for us Amiga Fans.

When eventually done like the Commodore 64 DTV in massive :idea: quantities I think something like $59.95-79.95 would be right.  :-D

Unknown1, those prices would be very reasonable, but it looks like we may have to pay more than you estimate.

Crom00, please give us an estimate for the retail figure to stop the price speculation. Please!!!

Handing out a price now is not fair to me, the factory or the future purchasers becuase:

Curent price is not 100% final.

When things are ready an announcement will be made here.

Offline HenryCase

Okay, well, please keep us up to date with any progress you make.

Will do guys, will keep you informed. Thanks for the contiuned interest and saint-like patience.

Offline tonyyeb

Hi Crom. Hope you had a good holiday. Will you be continuing your search to have Minimigs built with the news that ACube are going to be doing the same with a "Mid January" release?
Chris (aka tonyyeb)

Now that Acube is releasing the boards in what I assume is large numbers this project is on hold. For ten units to start it doesn't make sense for me right now.

The only way I will re-examine this situation is if Acube flake out (don't think that's going to happen though).

Matching the $200 usd approximate price tage requires super low margins. It becomes more a labor of love than a business.

For the record our unit would have shipped with a power supply, memory card, and the board as Mini-Mig is finicky about those parts exta parts. I would imagine Acube will get more than a few returns from greenhorns that use the wrong power supply, and memory card.

But as most Amiga manufacturers will agree at this point it's not about getting rich.

Hats off to Acube!

Offline downix

• Show only replies by downix
    • http://www.applemonthly.com
If ACube does flake out I'll talk to my boss to see about doing it ourselves, ok?
Try blazedmongers new Free Universal Computer kit, available with the GUI toolkit Your Own Universe, the popular IT edition, Extremely Reliable System for embedded work, Enhanced Database development and Wide Area Development system for telecommuting.

Offline tonyyeb

Crom00 wrote:
I would imagine Acube will get more than a few returns from greenhorns that use the wrong power supply, and memory card.

I think ACube will be sensible enough to sell the Minimigs with a PSU. I hope they will anyway!
Chris (aka tonyyeb)

Offline CD32Freak

• Show only replies by CD32Freak
I would imagine Acube will get more than a few returns from greenhorns that use the wrong power supply
I believe that's why Illuwatar has changed the powersupply in his mini-itx Minimig design. He has some more clever improvements and I can't wait to see the next revision of his board :-D