Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Windows Phone - Dead man walking  (Read 6304 times)

Description:

Offline Lurch

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Lurch
Re: Windows Phone - Dead man walking
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2014, 07:22:16 PM »
What a load of fud that blog is. WP8.1 is an OS which is starting to gain traction, having owned/used several phones WP8.1,has to be my pick.

IOS - I find the Apple hype machine sickening. Having tried a couple of iPhones they felt like a step backwards. The worse example is the iPhone 4. Peering into a tiny screen with a so called retina display. Then the releasing of the next iPhone, wait a minute its doesn't look any different. The quality is also questionable, there have been a few issues over the years. But the well oiled hype machine or just blind love takes care of that. Don't get me started on ibooks/powerbooks.

Although I do enjoy classic Macs.

Android - fragmented, slow, lockups. The layout is a mess, as for the collection of apps I prefer quality over quantity and I got tired of the adverts and stuff getting pushed to my phone even with adblocker installed. Sony Z series of phones look great and the one plus one is looking good. As for Samsung their best piece of work was th S2 since then I haven't been interested. The S3 has some design issues, especially the USB connector cracking on most of them. But I'll stop the... Have to go to work LOL.
-=[LurcH]=-
A500 Plus Black 030@40MHz 128MB | A1200T 060@80MHz 320MB | Pegasos II G4@1GHz 1GB  | Amiga Future Sub

Offline Darrin

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Darrin
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2014, 07:22:28 PM »
@Matt3K:  I use mine for work so reliability comes top of the list for me.  I don't play games, I don't use it as an MP3 player.  I have no use for iTunes and install very few apps.  I guess the Skydrive could take care of the storage issues, but I like to keep my data off the cloud.
A2000, A3000, 2 x A1200T, A1200, A4000Tower & Mediator, CD32, VIC-20, C64, C128, C128D, PET 8032, Minimig & ARM, C-One, FPGA Arcade... and AmigaOne X1000.

Offline Lurch

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Lurch
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2014, 07:24:29 PM »
So much more to say. I'll be back.
-=[LurcH]=-
A500 Plus Black 030@40MHz 128MB | A1200T 060@80MHz 320MB | Pegasos II G4@1GHz 1GB  | Amiga Future Sub

Offline SysAdminTopic starter

• News posting Auto Agent
    • Show only replies by SysAdmin
    • http://www.a-eon.com
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2014, 07:36:00 PM »
@Lurch

From

"Tim Richardson  bluvg
Well. Apple makes lots of money on those macs. Microsoft and no one else makes money from low end phones. That is a huge difference. Microsoft traditionally makes money by selling OS licences; now it is forced to give them away. That's why people are a bit doubtful. It's just very hard to see how Microsoft will make money."
Posts on this account before August 4th, 2012 don\'t belong to me.

Offline Darrin

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2014, 07:43:08 PM »
@ SysAdmin:

Come back to us when Micro$oft file Chapter 13.  They seem to make money somehow.  :)
A2000, A3000, 2 x A1200T, A1200, A4000Tower & Mediator, CD32, VIC-20, C64, C128, C128D, PET 8032, Minimig & ARM, C-One, FPGA Arcade... and AmigaOne X1000.

Offline amiga1260

• Show only replies by amiga1260
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2014, 07:43:59 PM »
I like my Nokia Lumia 620 with Windows 8.1 Phone more than Android, because it is easier to learn to use the Phone OS.

If I had more money to burn then I bought an Iphone.

« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2014, 07:50:22 PM »
@Darrin

I never said they are going out of business anytime soon. They do have a habit of killing off products that bleed money from the company though like Zune, Kin Phone, MSN TV,  Caligari Truespace, Courier, MS Money, Encarta, Etc. Sometimes they get things right, TriCaster works fine running on Windows 7 for example.

Offline Darrin

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2014, 08:00:20 PM »
Quote from: SysAdmin;764506
@Darrin

I never said they are going out of business anytime soon. They do have a habit of killing off products that bleed money from the company though like Zune, Kin Phone, MSN TV,  Caligari Truespace, Courier, MS Money, Encarta, Etc. Sometimes they get things right, TriCaster works fine running on Windows 7 for example.

True, but I'm guessing that they would be happy to make little or no money from Windows on phones as it would lock people into Windows on their home PCs.  I'm sure a lot of people look at their iPhones and wonder what OSX would be like.

I still look after my accounts using MS Money and it was one of the first things I installed in my Win8 laptop.  I'd be lost without it.

« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2014, 08:40:52 PM »
@Darrin

And just like MS Money you can go on using WP for years to come even if MS kills it off. Here is a more complete list of dead MS products.

http://techrights.org/wiki/index.php/Microsoft_-_Dead_Divisions_or_Products

Even if WP had the perfect interface I would still not use it because I don't want a company that is so customer hostile and unfriendly and has been convicted in court of illegal activity. The list of atrocities MS has committed against fellow developers and customers is so long if it was printed out it would stretch to Jupiter and back. No thanks I don't want a company like that having access to my mobile phone and personal data, I'll pass thanx.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 08:43:48 PM by SysAdmin »

Offline Darrin

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2014, 08:58:16 PM »
You could probably say that about almost any large company if you dig deep enough.  However, power to the customer that places ethics into his purchasing equation.  Unfortunately, most of us will never know who the really evil companies are because most of them can cover their tracks.  Business is war, and I wouldn't get anywhere by encouraging companies to use my competitors (Mind you, I've never sent hit men after my competitors... yet).  ;)

Offline Bif

• Show only replies by Bif
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2014, 09:03:30 PM »
Quote from: LiveForIt;764482
Next time I buy Samsung, people seams to be more happy about that phone.

I've now extensively used an iPhone 3, Samsung Galaxy SII, Samsung Galaxy Nexus, and Google(LG) Nexus 5.

I'd run screaming from another straight up Samsung phone, until they stop the urge to wedge a bunch of useless crap into the Android OS trying to "out-feature" other phones out there. The SII was a nightmare regarding this. If your phone requires you to run the Kies software, do not buy it. As bad as this is I'd still do this over an iPhone though, don't get me started on that one.

I was pretty happy with the Samsung Galaxy Nexus after I finally received an update that fixed a hard lockup problem - it's very stable since then and comes with none of the bloatware as Google is 100% in charge of the software. The only thing that peeved me in the end is the lack of Android updates, Google only provides updates for 18 months for it (and probably all their products). If you buy your phone some time later after it was released, don't expect any more updates. Luckily, I find that unlike with iOS, I can still run any recently made App on a pretty old Android version. My iPhone/iPod on the other hand have pretty much just been paperweights now for years because of the lack of OS/app support (once an app is updated in the app store that drops old iOS compatibility, you can't even get the old app that will still run on your old device).

What I am really happy with is my Nexus 5. It's fast, great screen, never locks up, no bloatware crap, really good battery, and it's very cheap for what you get. Unless there is some specific need you have that some other phone might handle better (better camera, waterproof, etc.,) I think you'd have to be a bit nuts not to take a good look at this device.

« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2014, 09:10:19 PM »
@Darrin

I think you would be hard pressed to find any company that has done as much damage to a industry as MS unless you go all the way back to Standard Oil and what they did to the industry they were in. BP also did some serious damage to that same industry a few years back off the coast of Florida, it was pretty horrible.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 09:40:39 PM by SysAdmin »

Offline Darrin

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2014, 09:16:11 PM »
Quote from: SysAdmin;764520
@Darrin

I think you would be hard pressed to find any company that has done as much damage to the industry as MS unless you go all the way back to Standard Oil. Also, what BP did a few years back off the coast of Florida was pretty horrible.

What did Standard Oil do to the smart phone industry?

Also, don't just do the US Government thing and just blame BP.  Try extending that to the US companies involved too.  There's more to that story than the media lets on.

Offline yssing

• Show only replies by yssing
    • http://www.yssing.org
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2014, 09:23:31 PM »
I have a windows phone and it works perfectly.
More and more of my colleagues are changing to windows phones.

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2014, 10:02:34 PM »
I'd seriously avoid Samsung phones in the future.

I had a S5 come to me recently as my work phone and the bloat on it was just too much to deal with, and the Samsung phones just seem to be getting worse and worse for feeling "cheap".

I disliked that S5 so much I grabbed my old HTC One (Google Edition, stock Android) and am now using it instead.  Yes, you heard me right - I'd rather use my older, personal phone that I paid for out of pocket for work than use their fancy S5, lol.  I just couldn't stand the S5, just bloated, cookie cutter engineering.  Sheer gimmickry - takes 45 minutes to disable all the goofy features they cram in and it still runs like crap.

My personal phone contract is up in a month or two and I'll likely go after the HTC One M8.  I wouldn't hesitate to look at a Windows Phone if there was a similar high end offering comparable to the One M8.  I'm not a camera guy, so most of the Nokia WP8 phones are of not much use to me.

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #29 from previous page: May 15, 2014, 10:25:19 PM »
Lol... Meanwhile the rest of the world carries in as normal ;)

Anyway, I respect a person's choice if they can explain what they like about their chosen platform. I know what I like about my chosen platform, and also what is really crap about it... But everyone has to decide what trade offs they can live with.

I notice some people are sprouting out of date crap in this thread... If you are going attack a particular platform, you might want to try it for a bit and see if your "issues" still exist...