Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga Video Editing & Media100 NLE  (Read 3327 times)

Description:

Offline jaesonkTopic starter

• Show only replies by jaesonk
Amiga Video Editing & Media100 NLE
« on: July 09, 2019, 05:35:52 PM »
BorisFX is the current owner of the Media100 NLE for Mac.  You can download the most recent version for free from www.media100.com

BorisFX is no longer interested in updating Media100 since the user base is so small.  Media100 is a 32bit app that will break under 64bit only versions of the Mac OS.  An older version of Media100 works with PPC Macs.

Since there is a lack of NLEs for newer AmigaOS4/MorphOS/etc,  a developer could possibly license or purchase Media100 code for porting to something like MorphOS and possibly porting to 64bit on the Mac end for broader users.  Are there any likely developers that would be interested in Media100?

Offline TribbleSmasher

Re: Amiga Video Editing & Media100 NLE
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2019, 06:48:21 PM »
I wonder why they didn't manage to get this program 64bit fit. It has been ten years now. Catalina is out and XCode is telling them 'Game Over', i guess.

Anyway, i think it would be an impossible task to convert it to any other than a Mac OS X platform, as it probably uses tons of Mac frameworks, if not proprietary ones. ???

Offline jaesonkTopic starter

• Show only replies by jaesonk
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2019, 05:51:57 PM »
BorisFX provided the primary CG/FX plugin for Media100 going way back, starting with Graffiti and later RED.  Media100 passed hands a few times over the years and was last bought by BorisFX.  They did some fixes and updating but their resources focused on the more profitable FX plugins and never transitioned Media100 over to 64bit.  Most recently, BorisFX acquire the planar tracker Mocha.

Early Media100 relied on custom hardware add-ons, like the various Amiga NLEs.  Later on, a software only version was released.  It was very usable on my lowly PowerBook G4 with an external drive. 

Porting wouldn't be easy but Media100 provides an existing NLE framework for adaptation.  Would it be easier to adapt or start from scratch?  Maybe like choosing between porting Firefox or creating a new browser.  It'd be great to taking an existing Amiga NLE like MovieShop and update it, but source isn't available.

Migrating just the Mac version to 64bit would appeal to current Mac users, but it could provide a revenue source to help offset the efforts and generate more interest on the Amiga side. 

Anyway, Media100 is there if someone with the skills, resources and motivation wants to look into it further.

Offline TribbleSmasher

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2019, 08:02:16 PM »
I just gave it a quick run on my Macbook. It looks indeed a little bit outdated and - with all its draggable windows - in comparison to other products quite quirky.  But if it is doing its job well it might be usefull, as it supports AV cards for IO. :)