Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Worst of the Worst Think Comodore has done.  (Read 4440 times)

Description:

Offline Atheist

• Show only replies by Atheist
Re: Worst of the Worst Think Comodore has done.
« Reply #29 from previous page: June 07, 2003, 12:33:51 AM »

iamaboringperson wrote:
its a game console! that would of made it a lot more expensive, would games be upgraded to take advantage of the 030? probably not. you still would of had a hell of a lot of shoval ware back then
and i cant think of why any propriatary game console would have a standard system of ram expansion - i hope you dont mean standard 30 or 72 pin SIMM soccets!  :-o  :-o

Well, thats why it died. They REFUSED to make faster machines. Why not SIMM sockets. Why can't a playstation 2, gamecube, or that other thing have SIMM sockets? EVERYONE seems to think this is a "Cardinal law of the Universe" that cannot be broken.

do you realize howmuch 2M cost back in those days??
people bought the 1200 for cheapness - if they wanted quality they would go for the 4000, which had fast ram

CD32 was pretty expensive, anyway. When a company buys it, in mass quantities, it wasn't that much, really.

were forgetting that agnus was made in the mid 80's!!!
2M was heaps back then! 64M??? the 68000 could only address 16M of memory! and that included ROM and IO!!!

CD32 had 68020. 32 bit address space. I don't believe they used a 68EC020 chip.

Imagine if the CD32 was able to expand to 128 megs. It would still be useful today!!! External compact flash card reader, 512 Megs. WooHooo!!

who cares if it can emulate the custom chips.
i want new software(with no backwards compatability bottlenecks) - to run old #### just run UAE

I really, REALLY believe there are people out there that would LOVE to run some old paint packages and sound programs that break that barrier.

Remember that there are many programs that probably won't be recompiled to PPC. No reason to abandom them, they're THAT good.

AmigaOne! Amiga, (way) ahead of its' time!
\\"Which would you buy? The Crappy A1200, 15 years out of date... or the Mobile Phone that I have?\\" -- bloodline
So I guess that A500, 600, 1000, 2000, CDTV, CD32, are pure garbage then? Thanks for posting here.

Offline iamaboringperson

• Show only replies by iamaboringperson
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2003, 12:39:34 AM »
Well, thats why it died. They REFUSED to make faster machines. Why not SIMM sockets. Why can't a playstation 2, gamecube, or that other thing have SIMM sockets? EVERYONE seems to think this is a "Cardinal law of the Universe" that cannot be broken.
commodore couldnt make money from SIMM's!!

do you realise how the game console business works?
here are the basic steps:
1. sell the console super cheap, so as to reel everyone in!
2. sell the games and propriatary hardware expansions super expensive, so as to cover the costs of the below cost consoles and make a hell of a lot of profit!

game consoles have weird looking connectors all over them for a good reason:

$$$$$$$!

Offline Atheist

• Show only replies by Atheist
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2003, 01:00:45 AM »
Generally correct.

BUT, it's the proprietary hardware, that SW companies pay a royalty per piece of SW sold, that the manufacturer of the game console gets, which brings in the dough!

AmigaOne! Too many mistakes made already, stop it, read my posts!!!  :-D
\\"Which would you buy? The Crappy A1200, 15 years out of date... or the Mobile Phone that I have?\\" -- bloodline
So I guess that A500, 600, 1000, 2000, CDTV, CD32, are pure garbage then? Thanks for posting here.

Offline Im>bE

• Show only replies by Im>bE
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/TotalChaosTheGame
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2003, 01:28:59 AM »

The very worst thing commodore did for themselves was to make amiga such a reliable and good computer that few would ever want to or need to buy any new amiga or parts to their own.

A company that gives its customers everything they want, is doomed.

and so it became.

Stop your nonsense disputes.
When the amiga was invented, there was nothing more to improve!
Hopelessly addicted to the world\'s best strategy game.
Total Chaos on YouTube

Offline Argo

• Show only replies by Argo
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2003, 05:46:19 AM »
They bought a little upstart called Amiga.

Offline meerschaum

• Show only replies by meerschaum
« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2003, 07:07:25 AM »
around here where I live... there was 0 marketing going on at all... no tv adds...no magazine adds...nothing... in fact if you wanted to buy an amiga if you had the money...and gave alot of effort...you still might not have found a place able to take your order for one...you needed to mail order...and this is in connecticut... right next to NY... its easier to get an amiga NOW then it was THEN in this region... market was commodores failure...failure to market or push their product AT ALL... they did NOTHING to market it...and THAT is what killed commodore...and ultimatly the amiga...

Offline Dan

• Show only replies by Dan
« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2003, 10:18:08 AM »
The very worst thing commodore did for themselves was to make amiga such a reliable and good computer that few would ever want to or need to buy any new amiga or parts to their own.

A company that gives its customers everything they want, is doomed.

and so it became.

Stop your nonsense disputes.
When the amiga was invented, there was nothing more to improve!

Exactly, selling C64 and A500 to a customer once in 10 years wasn´t like selling Wintel crap very year.
If it´s already workingthere is no point of upgrading
Apple did it right the first time, bring back the Newton!

Offline ACE

• Show only replies by ACE
« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2003, 01:37:05 PM »
I have mixed feelings about the CD32, it wasn't quite powerful enough, but had the expansion potential that no other console had/has.  After C= disarster with the CDTV (far to ahead of its time) the management didn't believe the world was truely ready for CD ROM.

If they had produced a A1200 type system with an internal CD ROM early enough and got the devlopers behind them they could have killed domestic piricy (probably the real Amiga killer) for a good few years (remember CD writers are a long way off!)

But the A4000 was a great idea crap implimentation, cost cutting everywhere meant that a developers board got turned into the real deal crammed into a cheap PC desktop case.  The real A4000 (A3000+) was meant to be SCSI based have a internal Scan Doubler for Hires SVGA monitors, and a FAST RAM system that wasn't limited to about 15Mb/s transfer rate!

IDE is fine today and is a useful (cheap) solution but back then before real UDMA, SCSI only used a few percent of processing power.

In hindsight more RTG should have been introduced aswell.  The Amiga Chipset which made the Amiga what it was in the Early 90's was beginning to become more 'cludged' together (I think I just made up a new word :-D ) with more DMA bugs and sprite fetching was doing some weird things.  I heard somewhere that C= lost the original Chipset designs and had to reverse engineer them for the ECS/AGA (Don't know if thats true).

Instead of the A4000, a desktop A1200 in a nice slimline case + CD ROM should have been built, with a couple of zorro III slots if possible!)

Meanwhile the A4000 (A3000+) with SCSI and probably PCI (just starting to become mainstream enough to be cheap) with an '060.  That would have meant better RTG support would be required.

I think i'll leave it there for now...

Offline ACE

• Show only replies by ACE
« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2003, 01:42:18 PM »
Ooooo, just remembered, wasn't there a rumor that (HP?) wanted a good O/S for the Alpha CPU and approached C= about converting Workbench, just imagine an efficent O/S on Alpha Chips, if it could have been made cheap enough could of been onto a winner there.  Workstation power to the masses... :-o

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2003, 02:33:31 PM »
The real A4000 (A3000+) was meant to be SCSI based have a internal Scan Doubler for Hires SVGA monitors,

Eh... I actually think the scan doubler component  was scrapped. Softhut got their hands on a 3000+ about a year or so ago, and I don't believe it had a scan doubler. I could be wrong though.

Offline jeffimix

• Show only replies by jeffimix
« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2003, 04:31:21 PM »
Thin about people complaining about only 2 megs chip RAM is stupid. You could have more Fast RAM. Every PC in existance has 1 frickin megabyte of RAM built in. On DOS, 99% of games can only use the first 640K of RAM. 2 Megabytes of RAM built into the computer the way Amiga's had, and fully accesible to games and word processors et cetera, still is twice what PCs have. Amigas need more slots for standard PC RAM not more built into some poor unupgradeable chip.
\\"The only benchmarks that matter is my impression of the system while using the apps I use. Everything else is opinion.\\" - FooGoo

Offline Tomas

• Show only replies by Tomas
« Reply #40 on: June 07, 2003, 04:54:14 PM »
Yeah same here... I never EVER saw a single Amiga commercial in my life... Though the Amiga was very popular where i live, nearly all my friends had one.... Really odd isnt it?