Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: ADPro vs. ImageFX  (Read 7386 times)

Description:

Offline Ral-ClanTopic starter

• Show only replies by Ral-Clan
    • http://www3.sympatico.ca/clarke-santin/
Re: ADPro vs. ImageFX
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2010, 01:08:32 PM »
Quote from: motrucker;545801
I'm still using it with a real Amiga A2000. But with a 28MHz 040 it is pretty quick with most operations. I will, no doubt, add WINAUE again - soon to my windows machine.

I ran it on a 33MHz 68020 A2000 up until the summer of 2008.  When the A2000 broke down I reluctantly switched to a PC with WinUAE.  Although I was very skeptical at first it was actually one of the best Amiga decisions I ever made.  All my productivity apps now run about four times faster or more without problems.  I recently edited a large 40,000 x 40,000 pixel image under ImageFX in UAE.  It worked great and was reasonably quick for an image this large (which would cause sluggishness on any modern system).  On my original A2000 I don't even think I could have loaded it into ImageFX with only 32MB RAM.  It would have switched to virtual memory and probably taken a half an hour to load.  I love the original machines, but UAE has really kept ImageFX a practical reality for me for serious work (although I did do a lot of "serious" work on the A2000 as well, just in lower resolutions and I needed a little more patience for complicated operations).
Music I've made using Amigas and other retro-instruments: http://theovoids.bandcamp.com

Offline hardlink

• Show only replies by hardlink
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2010, 03:58:20 PM »
Quote from: cecilia;545780
I worked with ADPro for a while - even used "Fred" which was a batch processor thingy for ADPRo. I'm not sure how many people really used that but I am One Of The Few.

Hi Few-

I didn't exactly use "Fred", more like I tried to use Fred, and my system went Dead -  I meditated with the Guru. Every time. Could have been some configuration qirk, but it was much easier to just run the mighty ImageFX. So that's my experience with  ADPro vs. ImageFX.

Edit: I't been a long time, I may be confusing "Fred" with "ProControl"; even so, IFX + Arexx is much more useful.

NotQuiteOnTopic: Does anyone else use ImageFX as a verb? When anyone talks about 'photoshopping' something, I reply using 'ImageFXing' ;)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 04:36:53 PM by hardlink »

Offline pkivolowitz

« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2010, 05:51:28 PM »
Quote from: Vulture;545124
As you said IFX has AutoFX. There's nothing Adpro can do at this point that IFX can't, only IFX usually does it better :)

At this point? I'm sorry but I had to laugh till I fell out of my chair. I was so amused by these words that I had to join the forum so I could reply.

You do realize that ADPro has not been modified or maintained for more than 15 years? What are you still doing playing with it? Or ImageFX?

I'm still laughing.

Offline pkivolowitz

« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2010, 05:55:27 PM »
Quote from: cecilia;545780
I worked with ADPro for a while - even used "Fred" which was a batch processor thingy for ADPRo. I'm not sure how many people really used that but I am One Of The Few.

ADPro was the batch processor thingy for ADPro. Fred was a higher level abstraction of batch processing.

ADPro ran ARexx scripts. Fred ran hierarchies of ARexx scripts organized into larger blocks.

ADPro was ADPro. Fred ran ADPro.

Offline pkivolowitz

« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2010, 05:59:09 PM »
Quote from: hardlink;545891
IFX + Arexx is much more useful.

I've seen a few comments on this thread suggesting ADPro did not use ARexx. In fact, ADPro was the very first programs of any kind on the Amiga to incorporate ARexx.

Another ASDG product was also among the earliest on the Amiga is embrace ARexx: CygnusEd.

Offline Vulture

• Show only replies by Vulture
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2010, 06:57:38 PM »
@pkivolowitz

weird sense of humor I guess.... regardless, that's exactly what I meant by "at this point". As Adpro wasn't improved for quite a long time, IFX reached and surpassed it at all departments including batch processing thx to Autofx and its internal frame processing tools. Glad it made you laugh though (for some reason)!

Offline pkivolowitz

« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2010, 07:02:08 PM »
Quote from: Vulture;547542
@pkivolowitz

weird sense of humor I guess.... regardless, that's exactly what I meant by "at this point". As Adpro wasn't improved for quite a long time, IFX reached and surpassed it at all departments including batch processing thx to Autofx and its internal frame processing tools. Glad it made you laugh though (for some reason)!

I laugh because it hasn't been modified for around 18 years - yeah - it is more than 15 years. Probably 1993?

I laugh because ADPro is irrelevant. So is ImageFX.

I laugh because people are still having this discussion.

Offline cha05e90

• Show only replies by cha05e90
    • http://www.ruthe.info
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2010, 09:33:42 PM »
I never got the grips with ImageFX and found it mostly un-intuitive to use - I still prefer ADPro when it comes to ARexx and batch processing - and I still run one of my scanners for simple black/white stuff with it (ASDG's GPIB, baby!, I just LOVE this red LEDs inside my A2000 ;-)).

Funny enough both ImageFX and ADPro run rather smooth even on my OS4.1 machine...and here ADPro is still there more used software of this two.
X1000|II/G4|440ep|2000/060|2000/040|1000

Offline stefcep2

• Show only replies by stefcep2
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2010, 11:07:02 PM »
Software is only a tool. Alot of the power and speed with which you complete a task is related to your knowledge of the software tool you use and how to work efficiently with the software.  Look at the number of steps you take to complete soemthing in photoshop: layers, masks, inverted masks blah, blah...If it works so what how old it is?

Offline stefcep2

• Show only replies by stefcep2
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2010, 11:09:57 PM »
Quote from: pkivolowitz;547534
I've seen a few comments on this thread suggesting ADPro did not use ARexx. In fact, ADPro was the very first programs of any kind on the Amiga to incorporate ARexx.

Another ASDG product was also among the earliest on the Amiga is embrace ARexx: CygnusEd.

One of the best implementations of Arexx was a collection Arexx scripts that used ImageFX to create animated effects.  came on a CD, forget its name, but the effects were breathtaking.  Took a while to do, If I get a hold of the package under Winuae it should fly.

Offline Tenacious

• Show only replies by Tenacious
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2010, 11:54:47 PM »
Quote from: stefcep2;547603
...If it works so what how old it is?

I like how you think.

Offline motrucker

« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2010, 04:39:56 AM »
Quote from: pkivolowitz;547544
I laugh because it hasn't been modified for around 18 years - yeah - it is more than 15 years. Probably 1993?

I laugh because people are still having this discussion.

And, no doubt you laugh due to being out of it (one way or another). I think Kermit Woodall may argue your "point" that ImageFX hasn't been touched in 15 years. That is true of AdPro, but Nova Designs software is another story.
Check out their web site:
http://www.novadesign.com/2008/10/imagefx-45-studio-for-amiga.html
A2000 GVP 40MHz \'030, 21Mb RAM SD/FF, 2 floppies, internal CD-ROM drive, micromys v3 w/laser mouse
A1000 Microbotics Starboard II w/2Mb 1080, & external floppy (AIRdrive)
C-128 w/1571, 1750, & Final Cartridge III+

Offline matthey

• Show only replies by matthey
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2010, 04:54:27 AM »
Quote from: pkivolowitz;547544

Hmm, I made a web site for my family business using mostly ImageFX, CygnusEd, TVPaint, PPaint, AWeb, and FTPmount on my 15 years old Amiga. We are so busy right now that I haven't had much time to work on it more. A good part of our success is related to the web site. Plus, look at how much I saved in software compared to using newer stuff. I can usually work faster on the Amiga, believe it or not, and the Amiga has ARexx but some modern programs have features the Amiga does not. I bet I'm making more than you did at ASDG :P. I'll be laughing all the way to the bank.

Offline pkivolowitz

« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2010, 05:23:22 AM »
Quote from: motrucker;547633
And, no doubt you laugh due to being out of it (one way or another). I think Kermit Woodall may argue your "point" that ImageFX hasn't been touched in 15 years. That is true of AdPro, but Nova Designs software is another story.
Check out their web site:
http://www.novadesign.com/2008/10/imagefx-45-studio-for-amiga.html

I think I said:   "I laugh because it hasn't been modified for around 18 years  - yeah - it  is more than 15 years. Probably 1993?"
I'm sorry if it wasn't clear enough that the "it" I was referring to is ADPro. I do not believe Mr. Woodall needs to argue with a point which wasn't made.

As for being "out of it" I am not sure what you mean.

If you mean the graphics and image processing business, I can assure you that I continue to be a contributor and a partner in a post-production industry dominating product. Let me clarify - by post-production industry dominating I do mean nearly all major film producers are customers.

If by "out of it" you mean the Amiga business, you have me there. I am not engaged in the Amiga ecosystem except as a historical relic. I am satisfied with that mostly. I would like to work on an Amiga product again but I (have no time and) haven't been able to find a satisfying answer to the question of "what is an Amiga" in 2010?

You might Google my last comments on Usenet in 2009. I asked the question if I wanted to develop on the Amiga, what could I actually buy?

The thread quickly became a flame war between two other blokes and I backed away thinking that things never change. I am trying not to get that same impression from the tone of your message.

Rather than a developer of new technology for the Amiga I am far more likely to be merely a source of interesting stories. The fact is with respect to the Amiga ecosystem I am just a historical relic. Be my guest if you'd like to take pot shots at me. Lot a good it will do you.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 05:32:45 AM by pkivolowitz »

Offline pkivolowitz

« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2010, 05:27:48 AM »
Quote from: matthey;547634
Hmm, I made a web site for my family business using mostly ImageFX, CygnusEd, TVPaint, PPaint, AWeb, and FTPmount on my 15 years old Amiga. We are so busy right now that I haven't had much time to work on it more. A good part of our success is related to the web site. Plus, look at how much I saved in software compared to using newer stuff. I can usually work faster on the Amiga, believe it or not, and the Amiga has ARexx but some modern programs have features the Amiga does not. I bet I'm making more than you did at ASDG :P. I'll be laughing all the way to the bank.

I am very happy you were able to use the tools you love to create a successful outcome. I wish you many more years of the same.

Offline Pyromania

• Sent from my Quantum Computer
    • Show only replies by Pyromania
    • http://www.discreetfx.com
« Reply #29 from previous page: March 15, 2010, 05:30:21 AM »
@matthey

It's great to have the founder of ASDG as a member of Amiga.org, please try and not upset him.